Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So soldering...(Health Hazards?)

Strawberry (Level 2) MonoTekETeA's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default So soldering...(Health Hazards?)

Well I've been doing it for a few months now, but am starting to get pretty worn out. What I mean is health wise, I think breathing in these fumes is doing something to my throat. I was wondering if if anyone has experience with trying to cover your mouth? Should I just get those little white carpenter masks, is there something that works better? I have been using my shirt tucked over my mouth and nose, and that just doesn't seem to cut it.

Let me know

-Jeremy Speer
    Yippy Kie Yo Yai Yay
    I am really bad at spelling...no really.
    v A gift from Drexel923, Thanks homie! v

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Uhhhh.. you know some solder has lead in it. Do you know what kind you have? Either way it really is inadvisable to breathe the fumes, even under a paper mask. I pace my breath so I can hold it while using an iron, breathing out when I'm done so I don't draw in any of the smoke. You should probably get a fume filter, there are commercial brands available under hobby & electronic supply venues. Little fans that sit on your desk and suck the fumes up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I second Brawtwurst warning, soldering contains lead and is downright bad for you health wise. Using it sparingly is okay without protection, but if you are going to use it on a regular basis you need a respirator. Go over to home depot and buy a gas filter for $29.99 and you will be read to go. Here are the symptoms of lead poisoning from WebMD.

Stomachaches, cramping, constipation, or diarrhea
    Nausea, vomiting
    Persistent, unexplained fatigue
    Headache
    Muscle weakness
    Higher rates of tooth decay

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The solder fumes are actually burning flux. Soldering irons don't get hot enough to vaporize lead (boiling temp 1740 C) so you don't have to worry about lead poisoning. The fumes won't hurt you but its probably wise to err on the side on caution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Come on boy, inhale those fumes through your nose and exhale them through your mouth - now you've earned your modder street cred!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkn55 View Post
    The solder fumes are actually burning flux. Soldering irons don't get hot enough to vaporize lead (boiling temp 1740 C) so you don't have to worry about lead poisoning. The fumes won't hurt you but its probably wise to err on the side on caution.
    http://www.sentryair.com/solder%20fume.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I usually try to use a fan of some sort, and/or hold my breath, and/or use a cheap mask, but usually not the last one.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post
    I stand corrected. I guess that explains the headaches after soldering for a few hours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

What it really comes down to is something you should have to begin with - good ventilation in your work area. This goes for any type of work you may be doing. You don't need fans, air cleaners, resperators (unless spray painting or doing something that specifically requires it such as grinding ABS plastic), and the like. If you have good ventilation and decent air flow in your work area (which you should) you'll be fine. I have a window at the exact height of my workbench directly across from me (it's on the other side of the bench) and a screen door on my shop. Additionally I set a small cheap fan on the bench in front of the window to draw in clean air when necessary such as when I'm doing a lot of cleaning. The fumes off most household cleaners, rubbing alcohol and so forth are what will really knock you out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lol, wonderful, I will look into a lot of things then to keep me from killing my self. Now I feel just as bad as some one who ate paint chips.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions
    -Jeremy Speer
    Yippy Kie Yo Yai Yay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I typically just hold my breath while the soldering fumes are blowing past me, and turn my head to breathe fresh(er) air. I do have a fume fan with a filter, but it's not very convenient, and I only use it when I'm doing a lot of soldering. For soldering just a few minutes at a time while fixing stuff, holding my breath works fine.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post
    Alright, so I am willing to throw money into a fan with filter, are those guys top of the line, where should I be looking for decent one?

-Jeremy Speer
    Yippy Kie Yo Yai Yay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

We have fans at work but no one uses them. They're really loud and annoying. The lead in the solder shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't eat it(keep it away from kids) and be sure to wash your hands before eating anything. The warning on solder usually says that it's known to cause cancer in California so you might want to move if thats where you live. The main thing, as others have said, is that you do your soldering in a well ventilated area and don't breath the fumes.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Almost all, if not all, solder should be lead free in the United States now. If you are using old stuff then it could be lead you are inhaling but new stuff shouldn't have any.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Still my throat gets very agitated by elements such as the fumes and now a days dust, this is after that month straight of soldering. So I donno, but I need to rock something up to clear the air out.
    Yippy Kie Yo Yai Yay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thegardentool View Post
    Almost all, if not all, solder should be lead free in the United States now. If you are using old stuff then it could be lead you are inhaling but new stuff shouldn't have any.
    This isn't quite true (yet). While it is true that the industrial side is sloooowly making the switch to lead free it is still widly available. Expecially in the hobby market. This is what Radio Shack sells right now "Standard 60%-tin/40%-lead".

But...as someone else pointed out. A soldering iron won't evaporate lead so you don't have to worry about breathing "lead fumes". The fumes are the solder flux, which is added to "eat" the corrosion off the metal so it will take the solder. This could cause long term health problems if you breath it alot, especially if you already have a breathing problem like ashtma. Keep your work area well ventilated and use a fan if it's really bad. Even just a regular fan blowing away from you will do.

Something else that comes to mind. What kind of solder are you using? Make sure it's even meant for electronics. Acid flux solders shouldn't be used. You also might want to stay away from really heavy rosin core solders.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know about lead in solder, but in general, things don't necessarily have to be evaporated to be vaporized.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    But...as someone else pointed out. A soldering iron won't evaporate lead so you don't have to worry about breathing "lead fumes".
    It's really not cut and dry like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDragon View Post
    I don't know about lead in solder, but in general, things don't necessarily have to be evaporated to be vaporized.
    Plastic is a good example, you watch that burn and all around you are minute pieces of airborne plastic.
    Yippy Kie Yo Yai Yay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

It is true that fine particles of lead will fly off when soldering and could be inhaled but the fumes themselfs are not lead fumes. It's flux fumes. unless someone is intentionally breathing the fumes you probally get more lead from not washing your hands and eating something. The point is that you don't want to be breathing this so make sure your using ventalation. My other point is that some solders are more iritating than others so it's possible you could have one of those.