Thread: Competition and Championship games in the guide...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Competition and Championship games in the guide...

I posted this in another forum in which discussion was going on regarding the Genesis BB Championship II cart:

"Not to get too off topic here, but...

I read about so many people over the years that say that their Genesis (or SNES) collection will never be complete without these ultra-rare competition/championship carts. But why? Why should these be listed as games to complete the collection in the guides?

My point is, these are *not* retail releases. They had to be obtained a special way (ie: win a competition) and never available to the public in the way that retail games were. In my eyes, they are *almost* prototype status in a sense. I think they should be listed as such in the guides, and that a "complete" Genesis or SNES (or what have you) collection should consist entirely of retail games only. Games that could have been gotten by any average joe. Maybe these should be listed in a "Special" category in the guide. Maybe I should convey this message in the other forum regarding the guide

At least that is what I think about it. Awesome carts to have (I have SNES comp carts myself), but should not determine what a complete set for a said system is."

Now, maybe this was brought up before, not too sure (I didn't find anything), but what do YOU think? I think that this is just fair to the collector honestly. I think *true* complete sets should only consist of retail releases...and these are really not of such a nature.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't say I agree, they aren't protos and they were released in some way or form in the us so they should stay in the us game releases section. There are a lot more games that weren't sold through. Many atari games were mail order only and those are us games as well. They may have had to be obtained in special ways but were released in the US so IMO they should stay there.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    I can't say I agree, they aren't protos and they were released in some way or form in the us so they should stay in the us game releases section. There are a lot more games that weren't sold through. Many atari games were mail order only and those are us games as well. They may have had to be obtained in special ways but were released in the US so IMO they should stay there.
    Agreed.
    Besides, an Average Joe couldn't have gotten a lot of games that were only released in a few places, but those should still stand.
    My feedback
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99982
    Looking to sell Valkyrie Profile for the Playstation. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with you zektor. I don't consider the NWC 1990 part of the complete NES collection nor do I have the BB Championship II cart on my complete Genesis list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My point is that they really weren't "released". Even if a retail game was scarce in one area, it was still a retail game...being available for *purchase* on a store shelf. These carts were more like special prizes (actually, they ARE special prizes) that were not released to the public, but specially made only to give away to contest winners. Some may think differently on the subject, but these really are the facts. The Atari games you spoke of (mail-order) were available for purchase too. I guess a better way of putting this is that games that were available for *purchase* (or that could have been gotten in any redeemable way such as turning in UPC's...etc) should be in the US release section, while games that were "prizes" in any shape or form should go in a separate category. Again, just my opinion.
    Last edited by zektor; 10-24-2007 at 03:02 AM.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree that they arn't retail releases, but I have to wonder what you would do with say Atlantis II or Coke Wins for Atari 2600. Both of those games weren't available at retail, but are both considered part of the US releases.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with udisi, even those Atari 2600 games fit as commercial releases. It's up to you, if you don't want to count them as US games then you don't need to, there are plenty of others that want to count them so that's why they are listed.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't see any reason not to include them in US release in the fact, that most people will never complete a full set of realeases and if they do, they probably want these carts too.