Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Mario Galaxy!

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I tried the kiosk demo over the weekend for like 2 seconds. The gamestop employee was playing it for a while. I went to the store with my mother (I am 25 years old) but we get along great and both love games. Me and her were watching the guy play the game and my mother LOVES the opportunity to give people a hard time (jokingly). She goes, "how come he won't let you have a turn." and I was like "yeah where is my turn ha ha ha, just kinding I'll just watch." but the kid I think started thinking we were serious so he hands me the controllers, I play for like 5 seconds and he reset the fucking machine on me. Of course me knowing my mother she was like "hey you did that on purpose". The whole time we were just trying to be friendly with the guy and have fun and he got pissed and reset the game on me. What is up with that? well I just had to tell that story cuz I thought it was hilarious that this guy was just so up tight, that was my mario Galaxy story from over the weekend lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I tried the kiosk demo over the weekend for like 2 seconds. The gamestop employee was playing it for a while. I went to the store with my mother (I am 25 years old) but we get along great and both love games. Me and her were watching the guy play the game and my mother LOVES the opportunity to give people a hard time (jokingly). She goes, "how come he won't let you have a turn." and I was like "yeah where is my turn ha ha ha, just kinding I'll just watch." but the kid I think started thinking we were serious so he hands me the controllers, I play for like 5 seconds and he reset the fucking machine on me. Of course me knowing my mother she was like "hey you did that on purpose". The whole time we were just trying to be friendly with the guy and have fun and he got pissed and reset the game on me. What is up with that? well I just had to tell that story cuz I thought it was hilarious that this guy was just so up tight, that was my mario Galaxy story from over the weekend lol.
    Fool!

You seemed to have forgotten that most people, especially Americans, are messed up in the head and seriously up-tight and don't know how to react when they're being kidded with. You're lucky he didn't either hit you and your mother in your faces with pepper spray and/or call the police.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cambot View Post
    Fool!

You seemed to have forgotten that most people, especially Americans, are messed up in the head and seriously up-tight and don't know how to react when they're being kidded with. You're lucky he didn't either hit you and your mother in your faces with pepper spray and/or call the police.
    yeah I guess so, it wasn't until Mario Galaxy that opened my eyes to that whole thing :/ no big deal but damn man, I thought gamestop employees were technically not supposed to play the kiosk demos. I coulda cared less about playing it right then and there, but he was really uptight about it and reset it on me. I think its kind of funny though, my mom is going to get me shot one of these days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got to play this at E 4 All... I LOVE it... It gives me the old Nintendo WOW feeling from when I was a kid...
    - MarkMan
    www.SDTEKKEN.com - SAN DIEGO TEKKEN
    www.tekkenzaibatsu.com - Tekken Zaibatsu

Idle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Played it today at gamestop. Loved it! Although I can already tell the camera perspectives are going to give me the same sense of confusion as Portal did.

Fun story-I couldn't get the machine to recognize the nunchuk, so I decided to turn off the controller and try again. Well, whoops! Forgot it turns off the wii. What followed was about 10 minutes of trying to get it all back up and running.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dairugger View Post
    i believe gamestops also giving away the coin as a preorder bonus.
    Not at my Gamestop - they didn't know anything about the coin. I thought that was odd, but this particular GS has great management and cool, unpretentious, very un-knowitall employees so I actually like going there... so I preordered from them. The coin is neat and all, but it's not that big a deal. Good employees at a GS are much more valuable than a Mario coin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was at the Nintendo World Store last night and saw a few people playing Super Mario Galaxy. It looks good! I also saw people playing Battalion Wars 2, Guitar Hero III, and MLB Power Pros. More good stuff.

This holiday season is going to be huge:

Battalion Wars 2
    Guitar Hero III
    Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga
    Link's Crossbow Training
    Manhunt 2
    Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
    Medal of Honor Heroes 2
    MLB Power Pros
    NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams
    Rayman Raving Rabbids 2
    Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
    Soulcalibur Legends
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Trauma Center: New Blood
    WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw 2008
    Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
    etc.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 10-31-2007 at 10:42 AM.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    I was at the Nintendo World Store last night and saw a few people playing Super Mario Sunshine. It looks good!
    Typo i assume

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    Typo i assume
    D'oh! Yes, thanks for pointing that out. I corrected my previous post.

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No here in San Antonio has it, at least on my side of town. Oh well, I'll keep looking.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    D'oh! Yes, thanks for pointing that out. I corrected my previous post.
    No problem hehe Super Mario Sunshine is not bad looking tho, it was pretty good back in its day atleast.

Quote Originally Posted by Streetball 21 View Post
    No here in San Antonio has it, at least on my side of town. Oh well, I'll keep looking.
    Its not out before 12th November in USA so you wont find it in the stores before around then (unless the stores already have it in stock and some store(s) leaks it by acciend (or on purpose )).
    Last edited by jajaja; 10-31-2007 at 06:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So do you actually get the coin when you pre-order or do you get it when you pick up the game?
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Alright, I'm seriously going to have to stop playing this game. I have to hold out until it's out and I can buy it. This is assuming, of course, that I could find a Nintendo Wii available somewhere. I think I saw one at Target on Monday. That's right - one box. It was only the second time I ever saw Wii's stocked there.

The game is furiously addicting. It's Mario, only more so. I've said as much before, like in my Galaxy essay (don't worry, there aren't any spoilers, so you can read it), but I'm surprised at how much of the old-school platformer style is present in this game. Even early on - I've managed to uncover 9 or 10 galaxies by this point - there are several worlds that depend on platform jumping, moving floors, bounding over gaps, yadda yadda.

One really great thrill is the waterpark. I won't spoil anything for those who haven't seen it yet (hint: game stores), but it's really terrific fun. Now I REALLY want a Wave Race on the Wii. No doubt this waterpark world will be spun off into its own game; at least it should be. Then again, I said the very same about those penguin races from Super Mario 64. I was sure there was gonna be a Penguins-On-Ice game.

Well, this is my fault for trolling around the game stores at the Megamall and downtown Mpls every day. I really have to stay away from Mario for a while, lest I play through the whole game in the stores.

Hopefully, a week from Friday, I'll have scored a Wii with Mario in tow. Uh, maybe. We'll see.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gillian Seed X
    PSN
    RyJonJinn

^^ I Love You Brother!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Thomas View Post
    Alright, I'm seriously going to have to stop playing this game. I have to hold out until it's out and I can buy it. This is assuming, of course, that I could find a Nintendo Wii available somewhere. I think I saw one at Target on Monday. That's right - one box. It was only the second time I ever saw Wii's stocked there.

The game is furiously addicting. It's Mario, only more so. I've said as much before, like in my Galaxy essay (don't worry, there aren't any spoilers, so you can read it), but I'm surprised at how much of the old-school platformer style is present in this game. Even early on - I've managed to uncover 9 or 10 galaxies by this point - there are several worlds that depend on platform jumping, moving floors, bounding over gaps, yadda yadda.

One really great thrill is the waterpark. I won't spoil anything for those who haven't seen it yet (hint: game stores), but it's really terrific fun. Now I REALLY want a Wave Race on the Wii. No doubt this waterpark world will be spun off into its own game; at least it should be. Then again, I said the very same about those penguin races from Super Mario 64. I was sure there was gonna be a Penguins-On-Ice game.

Well, this is my fault for trolling around the game stores at the Megamall and downtown Mpls every day. I really have to stay away from Mario for a while, lest I play through the whole game in the stores.

Hopefully, a week from Friday, I'll have scored a Wii with Mario in tow. Uh, maybe. We'll see.
    Was the game leaked in USA or do you play the japanese version? Or is it the store demo?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gillian Seed X
    PSN
    RyJonJinn

The stores have the full game in there kiosk.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buns34 View Post
    The stores have the full game in there kiosk.
    Ah ok, butiI thought the store demos was limited to 10 minutes?

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a pretty fun game. I've been playing it for the last 2 days.

Better than Sunshine IMO, but so far the levels seem cramped to me. And I get tired of pointing the controller so much.

We'll see how it is after a few more days of playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    Ah ok, butiI thought the store demos was limited to 10 minutes?

No, there's nothing like that. You can play as long as you want, or at least until guilt sets in and you let some other kid have a try. I'm really trying not to hog the game too much, you know.

One thing that's really impressed me is that Galaxy is grabbing attention from a lot of kids. A few grownups, too, but the parents will use their kids as an excuse ("uh, I'll buy this for little Suzy..."). There's definitely that hook, moreso than really anything else out there. Maybe it's just because there hasn't really been a proper Mario game for so many years - Super Mario 64 really was the last one. It's such a novelty compared to all the shooters and gritty dark games. It grabs your imagination, young and old. I can see this game becoming a classic for kids the way Super Mario Bros was many years ago. And adults (like me) who grew up on videogames will feel that nostalgia push. Super Mario Galaxy really does feel like those classic games, while staying very fresh and new.

Again, the full game is available anywhere Nintendo Wii stations are found. Game controllers have finally been hooked up to them, and unless the store employees are jerks, you can play to your heart's content. This might be your only way to play for a while (I'm expecting sellouts everywhere).
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Strawberry (Level 2) Super Mario Fan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Thomas View Post
    Again, the full game is available anywhere Nintendo Wii stations are found. Game controllers have finally been hooked up to them, and unless the store employees are jerks, you can play to your heart's content. This might be your only way to play for a while (I'm expecting sellouts everywhere).

That'd be nice, since I preordered it online for cheap, and then went to target for the preorder coin. It'd be nice tto get some cash back on my purchases.