Thread: Any advice needed for eBay seller problem

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Default Any advice needed for eBay seller problem

I've had many small problems with both eBay sellers and buyers over the years, but this time I think I might completely lose my money, and considering the situation, it really makes no sense. First, I'll start with the link to the auction at hand:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=300136391192

I purchased this Genesis lot back on August 1st, paid that same day, and had no reason to be concerned because the seller has a feedback rating over 800 with 99% being positive.

A couple weeks passed, no package, but I assumed that, since the auction doesn't specifically state a shipment method, he must've used something cheap and slow like parcel post or even media mail. I also took note that his feedback does seem to reflect some inclination of his to be pokey about getting packages mailed out, sometimes waiting well over a week. I wasn't too worried, but I sent an email anyway just to ask if he could tell me what shipping method he used, around what date was it mailed, and around when can I expect it. He was kind of vague and didn't really give me any hard facts, so I took that as another sign that he drug his feet a little on mailing it out. He said it should arrive soon.

More time passes, still nothing. I keep in regular communication with him, and I get more concerned that the package may be lost. Eventually he tells me that it was shipped UPS, but he said that he didn't have or lost the tracking number. More emails back and forth to let him know that the package still hadn't arrived even as September rolled around. He claimed that he was working on the situation. On September 5th, he said that he was going to contact UPS to either find my package or he would send me a refund, and he said it would all be resolved by the end of the week.

That was the last time I heard from him. I've sent him numerous emails since then, both via eBay and directly through my email, but nothing. It makes no sense because, even though he wasn't the fastest ever when it came to replying, we were still in regular communication and many emails went back and forth. I had no problems receiving his nor him mine. Several days ago I decided to go all out and send him a message via eBay and four different email accounts that I have access to. Even if I was having trouble receiving mail at one, I KNOW that at least one would be able to receive a reply from him; likewise, even if he had a spam blocker filtering out my Hotmail and eBay messages, I can't imagine he wouldn't get the Gmail or college email either.

Finally, tonight I had to leave him negative feedback before it's too late. I just hope that he'll at least see that and start communicating with me again.

I know what everyone is going to say, so, yes, I stupidly did not file a PayPal claim. You see, I've been using eBay since '99, before PayPal even existed, so my philosophy has always been to communicate to work things out. When I finally figured I should try to use PayPal to get my money back, it was too late. I had no idea that you're only given 45 days to open a dispute. I foolishly assumed that it would AT LEAST be 60 days, if not 90, which is how long they give you to leave feedback.

So... what can I do now? Any suggestions? Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I really don't see this guy as a scumbag who wants to steal my money. He was the one that first mentioned a refund, and going by his feedback, he has given other people refunds in the past. With such a large amount of positive feedback, he seems like a decent seller that normally gets people's items to them without a hitch. He has even been listing items over these three months, with a new game going up today, so it's not like he up and disappeared. I'm just at a loss here.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you pay with a credit card through Paypal. If you did you can do a credit card chargeback.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran View Post
    Did you pay with a credit card through Paypal. If you did you can do a credit card chargeback.
    Can anyone here speak with experience on what happened after doing this? Knowing Paypal, I would guess they would apply the amount charged back to your Paypal balance, forcing you in a way to pay up if you ever wanted to use your Paypal account again, and avoid Paypal reporting badly on your credit/persuing collection of the funds.
    Last edited by Vectorman0; 10-26-2007 at 12:31 AM.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran View Post
    No, that's not an option for me. I know some people always give the advice "Always pay for everything with a credit card on PayPal," but I don't even own one. I pay for auctions either out of my PayPal balance (which occasionally gets built up as I sell my own things) or I do an instant bank transfer. Can't recall which I did for this transaction (although I'm sure I could look it up). I think it was from my PayPal balance, but I doubt that makes any difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Finally, tonight I had to leave him negative feedback before it's too late. I just hope that he'll at least see that and start communicating with me again.
    Feedback is the very last step of the transaction. At this point, I'd be surprised if he ever emails you again. Feedback is not a method of communication. It's fine to neg him because he's a scamster, but I wouldn't count on him replying now.

You bought this on August 1 and it is now almost Halloween. You're not going to get your Genesis stuff, which sucks, because you got a good deal on all that. Perhaps that's why he didn't ship. Sellers have done that to me before when I've won insanely cheap auctions. Like you said, you can't do a Paypal chargeback because you waited way too long. Unfortunately, this is your fault because the 45-day limit has been a Paypal policy for years.

At this point, you need to decide how badly you want your money back. If so, it seems you're going to have to be a little more forceful with your communication. If this seller had any intention of giving you a refund or shipping your item, he would have done so by now. Threaten a credit card chargeback. He doesn't need to know you paid with a balance transfer. Instead of emails, message him via the "ask seller a question" form. That doesn't work? Do a user information request, call his house and go from there.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeah, I realize feedback is the last step, but with only a couple days left at the most before that gets closed off to me, I didn't want to lose the opportunity to at least get his attention that way. I know that negative feedback might just make someone pissed off, but, like I said, his record of feedback doesn't make him out to be some sort of jerk. I didn't insult the guy or anything in the negative, so I'm hoping maybe he just completely forgot about the transaction, will see the comment, and then finally give the refund he initially offered in an attempt to get me to withdraw the feedback, which I would happy to do if this actually gets resolved.

I realize it's my fault for not filing the PayPal dispute before 45 days passed, but if it makes me look at least a little less stupid, I didn't wait this long. I looked into it around the end of September, so it had been past 45 but not quite 60. Even if I had filed it successfully, I'd still say that I think it's way too short of a time. Depending on the situation, it can be a few weeks before you even realize there's a serious problem going on, and the first step should be to work it out by communicating, not rushing to file a dispute. I think it only forces buyers to aggravate sellers before it really comes to that. But there's no use in me whining about it. It is what it is and I'll definitely know for next time if I ever get in this situation again. I just hope I can work this out by other means rather than have this be a hard lesson learned. I realize it's not a massive sum of money, but as a broke college student, I could sure as heck put that 40 bucks to a better use.

Thanks for the credit card chargeback suggestion. That's a very good point that he doesn't need to know how I paid for it. So far I've become firm with my messages, but I haven't threatened any actions. Maybe if he hears that I'll actually get a response, if he is actually ignoring me. I have used the "ask seller a question" form many times. Early on he responded to those messages just fine, but since Sept. 5th, I haven't gotten anything out of them. I am aware of a user information request. It sure makes me uncomfortable thinking of calling up a stranger and demanding a refund, but I guess I'll do what I gotta do. Maybe before I get to that, I'll send another message threatening a chargeback and saying I got his personal information and will call if I don't hear a response. A potential phone call might seem just as uncomfortable to him as to me, so he might want to avoid that.

I've been kicking around a couple other ideas in my head, though. Do you guys think it would be uncool if I used the "ask seller a question" form on his current auctions to get his attention? Or maybe even use a different eBay account to contact him?

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

You could troll his auctions and let bidders know he rips people off. :P

Tell him you'll persist until he refunds you your money.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well... the feedback apparently did get his attention, and I got the reply:

items were shipped and the tracking number says you got it!!! LIAR

So..... yeah. :/ Why is this guy acting like this when he has such a good feedback record? He told me that he lost the tracking number, and if it does show the item was received somewhere, I would WANT to see that information. Why wouldn't he give me the tracking number to look it up on UPS myself? This is such a load of BS. I have a perfect buying record on eBay. I have never once stiffed someone on payment nor claimed that I didn't receive a package.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Okay, so I did a contact information request, and since eBay sends it out to both people, he should be aware of that.

What I want to know, though, is if it's possible to reply to a reply? I will use the eBay contact form to send another message, but considering I KNOW he viewed the negative feedback, it would be nice to put a follow-up to his comment to state that he told me the tracking number was lost and to ask him to please contact me to show me this alleged tracking number that proves I received the package.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why is this guy acting like this when he has such a good feedback record?
    Good feedback record? Not so much. His overall percentage isn't bad, but his recent selling feedback is atrocious. Two negs and four neutrals (which should have been negs themselves) all on the first page of 25. That's terrible.

He told me that he lost the tracking number, and if it does show the item was received somewhere, I would WANT to see that information. Why wouldn't he give me the tracking number to look it up on UPS myself?
    Clearly he doesn't have the number and he's feeding you a line of crap. If he had the tracking number, he would have sent it to you by now instead of making something up. If he were honest about believing that it arrived, he would have no problem sharing the information.

What I want to know, though, is if it's possible to reply to a reply?
    Yep, you can do that.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...ewFeedbackLeft