Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is the 360 RROD Situation Improving?

Strawberry (Level 2) cityside75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is the 360 RROD Situation Improving?

Lately, I haven't noticed nearly as many people talking about RROD on any of the game forums that I frequent. I've also noticed that it's less common to read about it on news sites like Joystiq.

Do you think MS has finally gotten a handle on the problem, and the repairs/refurbs are working more reliably now? I got my 360 back a couple months ago and it's been working great, and I've noticed it runs cooler and the disks aren't so hot when I take them out after a few hours of use like they were on my old unit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're right, cityside, it seems that a large number of them went out over a few months during the spring/summer. That is when we heard all the complaints.

I guess those have been fixed and are working and now there aren't as many newer units with the problems.

Strawberry (Level 2) sickdrummer420's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    sickdrummer420

Quote Originally Posted by cityside75 View Post
    Lately, I haven't noticed nearly as many people talking about RROD on any of the game forums that I frequent. I've also noticed that it's less common to read about it on news sites like Joystiq.

Do you think MS has finally gotten a handle on the problem, and the repairs/refurbs are working more reliably now? I got my 360 back a couple months ago and it's been working great, and I've noticed it runs cooler and the disks aren't so hot when I take them out after a few hours of use like they were on my old unit.
    yes mine was also fixed recently and it runs awesome at the moment. it also does run way cooler than before and my disc arent burning hot after hours of use.
    Drummers do it with rythym

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has Microsoft changed the basic components/architecture? I heard they were going to.

In the interim gave away my 360. Now I'm considering getting one again.
    With a humble heart, on bended knee...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that it is still happening. I think that no one talks about it anymore because it is now a boring topic. It is something that a xbox 360 owner adapts to. If it happens to them I dont think that they would be so surprised.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Funny, I just got my first RROD the other day. I bought mine last October, and it was just a bit over one year old. I bought the Circuit City extended warranty, because MS only offered a 90 day warranty at the time. Debated whether I was going to get it serviced through MS or CC, as once I use the CC warranty, it's over. But they'll send a gift card, and I can get a brand new one in store. The new one will come with a 1 year MS warranty, which will last just a bit longer than what I had remaining on the 2 year CC warranty.

It's like I get to stick it to the man! And be without a 360 for awhile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just got my RROD from Halo 3. And I never game more than 2 hours, mostly short bits. I am a huge 360 supporter, and I'm not surprised about my RROD. BUT, I just wish they could make hardware as well as Sony. Clearly Sony is the more experience manu, but the 360 is a better game machine at this point. Grrr. I just got GH3 in the mail too. So they're sending out my coffin.

Anyone have any update or links about when to buy another 360 that won't break all the time? I have heard that 65nm isn't the answer. I'd have two 360s if I knew that I wasn't going to buy another Lemon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dunno where the issue is going overall aspect of it all, but as in my personal situation it ain't going to good. I think my freakin 360 is starting to act funny and sure hope is not going to go out on me but knowing it is a earlier 360 seems like a thing that will happen.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by RyanMurf View Post
    I think that it is still happening. I think that no one talks about it anymore because it is now a boring topic. It is something that a xbox 360 owner adapts to. If it happens to them I dont think that they would be so surprised.
    As much as I hate to admit it, I think that's the case too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I hear more now than I have ever heard. I think the reason why is that there are a ton of excellent games on the system, and everyone is PLAYING thier system alot. I feel for the people that it has happened to. I have been lucky so far.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone know anything about planned revisions of the hardware that will alleviate the RROD/poor design of the original 360? I actually believe that all of the 1st gen units will RROD eventually. That you might as well cook your 360 before the end of the 3 yrs is up just to be sure you get a new unit, if you bought in the first year (which I did).

I know that some of the units have new heat sinks, and supposedly the Halo editions have 65nm cpus, but then I've heard that is no final solution to the overheating. I'm guessing I'll be out a 360 for about a month (grrr!) and I'd probably consider buying another 360 if I knew it was somehow altered in design. Links appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/200...es_jasper.html

Here is a useful update as to the future of 360 motherboards. There is hope that future redesigns will increase the reliability of the unit. I don't know if I'll wait until next holiday season to get a second unit, so now I have to do some research to confirm which consoles are Falcon and which are Zephyr. Anyone? Clearly I should get a Falcon, and I'd actually prefer to get an Elite or a Halo edition- actually prefer an elite for the hard disk.

I think my biggest complaint about the 360 is that I have d/l content on one I can't access on a second 360- I would have to buy the content twice, eh?

At least my gamerscore is portable for achievements. I just think it's lame that I can only play Galaga on one of my 360s. It's as restrictive as any DRA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Friend of mine bought a new Halo 360 - dead after 2 days so I'm not sure how revised the motherboard is (his was manufactured July 2007). Instead of exchanging, he called up Microsoft so at least the one coming in might be fixed.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

My system is still fine (not overheating) however its now killing its second disc. My Legendary copy of Halo 3 will now no longer load level #9. Can't wait for it to stop scratching my discs up and for it to die.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    True Rush Fan

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    My system is still fine (not overheating) however its now killing its second disc. My Legendary copy of Halo 3 will now no longer load level #9. Can't wait for it to stop scratching my discs up and for it to die.

Why isn't M$ fixing the disk-drive problem also? I know a few people going thru that issue now. Sometimes having to smack the 360 to get it to read. Sounds like the drive is mis-alligned and scratching disks.

Only over-heating issues get fixed???? That sux!

There are quite a lot of good 360 games now, but I'm still waiting until all the bugs are out. Got plenty of last-gen games to keep me busy in the meantime...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well as soon as I ask the question I get the answer - with a bunch of new RROD related threads popping up along with the responses in this thread I'm thinking the picture still isn't quite as rosy as I was hoping.

Here's hoping my current box continues to perform well!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lerxstnj View Post
    Why isn't M$ fixing the disk-drive problem also? I know a few people going thru that issue now. Sometimes having to smack the 360 to get it to read. Sounds like the drive is mis-alligned and scratching disks.

Only over-heating issues get fixed???? That sux!

There are quite a lot of good 360 games now, but I'm still waiting until all the bugs are out. Got plenty of last-gen games to keep me busy in the meantime...
    I mentioned this in another thread, but my old 360 didn't have a RROD problem, was beyond 1 year old (at least by manufacture date), and I didn't have any original paperwork because I bought it used. When my disk drive stopped reading disks, they sent me a coffin no questions asked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

I've had mine since Feb. 06. - I realized a few months back, this this thing is now just a ticking time bomb.

And I believe it's now about to go off.

My DVD drive reads games as DVD videos, and I get the white screen, in about 50 different languages, telling me to insert the game into an Xbox 360 console. And if I manage to get past that, I get a disc read error. I'm lucky if a game boots up at all. But I'm not having problems watching DVD ot HD-DVD videos. No heat problems. No problems with demos or XBLA games. No game discs being scratched. Just the DVD drive giving me grief.

Next payday, I think I'm gonna splurge, and get an Elite before this thing craps out completely. I got me a 223 day streak on my 360voice blog, and I wanna see how long I can keep it going

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought my 360 used off a guy and it has the read problem. I was unaware that MS would even be willing to do anything at all for me since it's out of warranty. Is there a specific way to approach it to get it replaced?

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by RyanMurf View Post
    Remember when we cracked open those first few 360's? You could literally SEE that these machines had problems. Thermal putty flaking off, solder soft to the touch... remember when we agreed that ALL of those original 360's were eventually going to fail?

My next prediction is that we'll look back at threads like this and say "oh yeah, those early models had some real problems" but in the long run, we'll remember the 360 as a solid game system with some quirks in its early days.