Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about buying a 3DO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It seems to me that most (if not all) of the most famous games had PC ports, though they might be a little difficult to find legal copies of them. Icebreaker, Captain Quasar, and Virtuoso, to name some uncommon ones.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've got two Panasonic 3DO units, a whole bunch of Goldstar new-in-box controllers and some SNES-to-3DO converters, and about a dozen games or more. And yet, I still have never plugged any of the units in and played them. In the past few years I have been picking up a lot of game consoles that I was interested in back in the day, and coming away disappointed in them. I don't have the desire to go through the same thing with the 3DO. I'm waiting to find a few more triple-A titles to enjoy before I give it a shot. I don't want to start off with a bad impression.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Quote Originally Posted by DDCecil View Post
    Quarantine isn't very good, but I love the songs on it (Does anyone know who sings any of the songs? There isn't a track list in the manual. I like the one where the angry chick screams "YOU DON'T LOVE ME ANYMORE, OH NO NO! and the one with the man with the accent singing "Dance with me. You are so pretty. I can see, I'm no good without you). The FZ-1 plays it, but I can't get it to work on a FZ-10.
    A full track list can be found here (scroll down towards the bottom).
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Stay away from the Goldstar version and accessories, it's all junk. I have an FZ-1 (front loading drawer) I rescued for $10 and I love it. The only downside is you have to use a software based memory manager that was included in some games to manage your save data. The FZ-10 (flip top) hardwired the memory manager. Also be sure you use the second version controllers (FZ-JP2X), the ones that do NOT have the headphone jack - they are far better than the first release controllers.

As for games, I really only bought a 3DO to play Pretty Soldier Sailormoon S (JPN) which I do play a lot of. Shanghai: Triple-Threat is a nice diversion but aside from that I really haven't gotten into the software library.
    actually, the Goldstar control pads are the best... the Panasonic control pads are shit... I went through both revisions of the Panasonic control pads before trying out the Goldstar control pads, and I haven't had a problem since then...

I use and highly recommend the Panasonic FZ10 with the Goldstar control pads... looks like they were made to go together, and works the best... you do have to break the control pads in a bit, if you buy them new, cause the buttons are a bit stiff at first... but after that they will never wear out like the buttons on either version of the Panasonic control pads do... trust me on that... I played the fuck out of my 3DO back in the day, and I thought I'd never find a reliable control pad for it that wouldn't end up breaking on me, until I got the Goldstar control pads... before that, I thought the Panasonic control pads were like a reincarnation of the Atari 5200 control pads... SHIT!
    Last edited by Iron Draggon; 11-09-2007 at 09:12 AM.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    If you like something quirky and want to get others in on the 3DO fun, try to find Twisted! It's a weird "virtual reality" game show where you choose a weird TV character who gets a chance to go to the "real world". Has trivia, visual puzzle games, Memory type games, etc.
    Wow, I am a fan of Twisted too. I loved playing it with friends. Twisted really is a great party game.

Also Cannon Fodder, Star Control II, and Return Fire are great!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stay away from the Goldstar version and accessories, it's all junk. I have an FZ-1 (front loading drawer) I rescued for $10 and I love it. The only downside is you have to use a software based memory manager that was included in some games to manage your save data. The FZ-10 (flip top) hardwired the memory manager.
    Do you mean that memory adapter can only be used with FZ-10? By memory adapter, I mean that very uncommon expansion unit that plugs in via a wire and uses a CD based GUI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fahlim003 View Post
    Do you mean that memory adapter can only be used with FZ-10? By memory adapter, I mean that very uncommon expansion unit that plugs in via a wire and uses a CD based GUI.
    No, memory manager just as I said. The utility that allows you to erase and manage save data on the internal memory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I just picked up a number of games. Surprisingly (or not), Shockwave runs terribly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, memory manager just as I said. The utility that allows you to erase and manage save data on the internal memory.
    Yeah, the memory adapter also uses software to manage the save data. All the same, I assume then the memory adapter can only be used with FZ-10 models?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fahlim003 View Post
    Yeah, the memory adapter also uses software to manage the save data.
    But it's still not what I was talking about.

Strawberry (Level 2) The Great Dane's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I want to get a 3DO just for the fighting game...Way of the Warrior *ducks*

I know this is thought of as being an aweful game, but I have always been fascinated with the game. Looking at screens of it in old magazines for years inspired me to design my own fighting game (only artwork) like the characters and levels. I did get a chance to play it once many years ago at a Software Ect. and I liked it well enough.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Dane View Post
    I want to get a 3DO just for the fighting game...Way of the Warrior *ducks*

I know this is thought of as being an aweful game, but I have always been fascinated with the game. Looking at screens of it in old magazines for years inspired me to design my own fighting game (only artwork) like the characters and levels. I did get a chance to play it once many years ago at a Software Ect. and I liked it well enough.
    If you're interested in WOTW also check out Shadow: War of Succession. It's actually somewhat worse than WOTW, and without the White Zombie soundtrack to boot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually picked up a 3DO off eBay last year in a lot with about 25 games (half of which were really good games) for $130 including shipping. I've since picked up a couple more games since than that I played when I actually had a 3DO. I wanna suggest you or anyone else to check out..

The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes

Great game, but is very pricey on eBay because it's getting hard to find. I picked it up for about $25 in mint condition but prices now are getting up to the $50 range.
    I am a collector of the classics (Atari, NES, SNES, Genesis, 3DO, Saturn, etc.)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

im pretty broke right now and i just sold my Dinopark Tycoon for $450

ive never had any problems with my Goldstar unit in the first year i had mine then i found a new FZ10 for $43 at media play and ive had that hooked up ever since, but i still use the best 3do controller they made (the goldstar version)

there are adaptors out there that let you use SNES controllers on the 3do if you like those better

there are memory managers on a couple of the sampler CDs which are pretty common
    samplers #2,#3,#4 have them as well as the original one that came with the FZ1 unit
    Join the 3DO Chat here -- http://www.3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/