Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock Band Thread (DLC Priced, Cheaper than GHIII)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my buddy and I made some rounds to best buys today, and played a few demo units. we couldn't get the sound and video to synch at the first one, so we moved on. the guitar at the second wouldn't register downstrokes (interesting), but the drums were fun nonetheless.

I can't say that I like the feel of the guitar at all. I would like the buttons to be more raised, and more responsive. the buttons further up on the neck were pretty much useless because I couldn't find them when I wanted without looking. granted, that will be easier as I get used to it, but the fret before the buttons acts as kind of bar to keep me from sliding down. also, the five raised dots on the middle button isn't nearly as helpful as the raised bar on the middle button on gh controllers. I can always count on that bar to help me find the center again. overall the guitar just feels cheap, as many others have mentioned.

the songs I played on guitar weren't very fun either. if any of them were on guitar hero they would have been skipables. I know they had to pick songs that would be fun for all instruments, but it's too bad that means sacrificing so much fun on the guitar. I was hoping this would be the music sim to end all, but it looks like i'll still need guitar hero to get my guitar fix. thankfully rock band's drums are a blast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    I was hoping this would be the music sim to end all, but it looks like i'll still need guitar hero to get my guitar fix. thankfully rock band's drums are a blast.
    A dedicated drum game would be great. Do you think it would've made more sense for Harmonix to release a drum-only game instead? Could it sell as well without the guitar aspect?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    A dedicated drum game would be great. Do you think it would've made more sense for Harmonix to release a drum-only game instead? Could it sell as well without the guitar aspect?
    I doubt it. The reason this game is going to be so huge is that it's the ultimate music sim. Anyone who has ever played guitar hero, karaoke revolution, or donkey konga has thought "man it would be great if we could do this all in the same game". Well now we can, and it's going to be incredible. I think the pluses of being able to do all of that in one game will outweight the minuses of semi-weak note-charts, but that doesn't mean there still isn't that "aww man" feeling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I doubt it. The reason this game is going to be so huge is that it's the ultimate music sim. Anyone who has ever played guitar hero, karaoke revolution, or donkey konga has thought "man it would be great if we could do this all in the same game". Well now we can, and it's going to be incredible. I think the pluses of being able to do all of that in one game will outweight the minuses of semi-weak note-charts, but that doesn't mean there still isn't that "aww man" feeling.
    Good point. Will three people be able to play three different instruments simultaneously (vocals, guitar, and drums) or is each portion of the game meant to be played separately?

Strawberry (Level 2) misfits859's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I noticed one of these sell for around $500 on ebay this morning and several more are getting in that neighborhood...These may end up as one of the hottest Christmas video game items ever lol...

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Good point. Will three people be able to play three different instruments simultaneously (vocals, guitar, and drums) or is each portion of the game meant to be played separately?
    But of course. That's the main draw of the game.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just played the demo at BB. I thought it was alright but I think I'm going to stick to Guitar Hero and Drumania instead. The demo was fun but I thought it was WAAAAY too easy. I aced Wave Of Mutilation (drums and guitar) on hard on my first try. Seems like hard difficulty on Rock Band is equal to medium on Guitar Hero and I'll need more of a challenge than that if I'm going justify buying a $170 game.
    Last edited by norkusa; 11-16-2007 at 02:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Again, judging drumming too easy without using the pedal is...dumb?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Borman View Post
    Again, judging drumming too easy without using the pedal is...dumb?
    Not really. Adding a pedal and one extra note bar on the screen isn't going to make that much of a difference. And the guitar parts will still be exactly the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    Not really. Adding a pedal and one extra note bar on the screen isn't going to make that much of a difference. And the guitar parts will still be exactly the same.
    unless you're already a drummer or have perfect hand/foot coordination adding in a pedal will make it quite a bit more difficult depending on the song.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not really. Adding a pedal and one extra note bar on the screen isn't going to make that much of a difference.

no offense, but you are way off. adding the bass makes drums exponentially harder. so unless you already can play drums, expect to fail medium most of the time until you get the hang of the coordination.

this brings up an interesting problem for harmonix. I wonder how many people will think this same exact thing and decide to pass on rock band?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

no offense, but you are way off. adding the bass makes drums exponentially harder. so unless you already can play drums, expect to fail medium most of the time until you get the hang of the coordination.

this brings up an interesting problem for harmonix. I wonder how many people will think this same exact thing and decide to pass on rock band?
    I don't play drums seriously but my friend used to have a real drum kit that I'd always mess around on and have even played Drumania in the arcade, so I guess my opinion is biased. But even if you go by the guitar parts alone, the game does seem dumbed-down compared to other music/rhythm games. I understand that they made it like that for a reason but a lot of Guitar Hero fanatics are going to feel let-down by the difficulty of RB.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dylan021706

I never base a game on displays, demos or beta`s. I say give it a chance, I`m sure there will be something for everyone!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I have one maybe two of the sets in stock right now ready to go on launch day and can't decide if I want one or not its so expensive! I may just buy/rent the normal 60 dollar copy and play with a controller... I dunno we'll see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But even if you go by the guitar parts alone, the game does seem dumbed-down compared to other music/rhythm games. I understand that they made it like that for a reason but a lot of Guitar Hero fanatics are going to feel let-down by the difficulty of RB.

I agree, that was my major complaint as well. In the end I don't think this will be a guitar hero replacement, fans will just want both. And I can live with that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by otaku View Post
    I have one maybe two of the sets in stock right now ready to go on launch day and can't decide if I want one or not its so expensive! I may just buy/rent the normal 60 dollar copy and play with a controller... I dunno we'll see.
    If you want the game without the controllers you will have to wait until 2008 because the game is only available in the $170 bundle, They won't even sell the controllers individually until 2008!
    Last edited by Slate; 11-17-2007 at 09:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

My copy shipped this morning. I ordered it from their website 3 weeks ago.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Quote Originally Posted by Slate View Post
    If you want the game without the controllers you will have to wait until 2008 because the game is only available in the $170 bundle, They won't even sell the controllers individually until 2008!
    I'm actually waiting because I want it for the 360 with WIRELESS controllers. Plus, i don't want the drums or mic. It looks like sometime in february the wireless guitars will come out and that's when I'll pick it up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

I don't play drums seriously but my friend used to have a real drum kit that I'd always mess around on and have even played Drumania in the arcade, so I guess my opinion is biased. But even if you go by the guitar parts alone, the game does seem dumbed-down compared to other music/rhythm games. I understand that they made it like that for a reason but a lot of Guitar Hero fanatics are going to feel let-down by the difficulty of RB.
    If you think that RB is going to be super easy on guitar then you are dumb

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by geneshifter View Post
    I'm actually waiting because I want it for the 360 with WIRELESS controllers. Plus, i don't want the drums or mic. It looks like sometime in february the wireless guitars will come out and that's when I'll pick it up.
    The game itself without instruments will be available at the same time as the bundles. On the 360 you could play it with the wireless GH3 Les Paul if you don't want to wait. You won't get the special effects or the solo buttons, but at least you could get some play out of it now. Those with PS3's may not be as lucky. Some ppl who got copies early have not been able to get the Les Paul to work with Rock Band on the PS3.
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.