Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Rock Band Thread (DLC Priced, Cheaper than GHIII)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Quote Originally Posted by unwinddesign View Post
    Wow, it looks like Harmonix straight up lied.

My guitar is pretty fucked up and it's been played with for about 4 hours total. Strumming, either way, seems to work only at random. It's not a lack of skill [playing on Hard, for the record], because the Les Paul worked fine and both me and my buddy had issues with the Strat.

Boo EA and Harmonix for putting out a shit product and then claiming the demo problems were just that -- pre-production issues that would be fixed. Bullshit, I say.

Too bad, because before it started giving me wankery, I liked the strum bar more than the Guitar Hero 3 controller. Seemed more like playing a real guitar instead of clicking a button over and over again.
    Wow, that's too bad man. I've been reading some pretty bad horror stories about RB all day. Seems they have really bad quality. Guitars not strumming, drum pedals reaking, etc... Thank goodness I waited on this. I knew that piece of crap at Best Buy was a taste of the real build quality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Not to mention saying a guitar made for a rhythm game "feels more like a real guitar" is like saying a coffe maker looks more like a microwave than a refrigerator. Just make a plastic guitar thats in the same general shape as a real guitar that works well with the game--don't try to make it into something it's not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    Not to mention saying a guitar made for a rhythm game "feels more like a real guitar" is like saying a coffe maker looks more like a microwave than a refrigerator. Just make a plastic guitar thats in the same general shape as a real guitar that works well with the game--don't try to make it into something it's not.
    Exactly, It's annoying especially since it seems to be constantly brought up

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It really does feel like a real guitar. It feels substantial in your hands. I have a real Strat [as I'm sure more than a few people around here do too]; I should know that much.It goes a long way to locking you into the experience; your "instrument" looks like the ones the characters are holding in the game [not to mention several iconic rockers of modern times and yester-year].

It doesn't look like a toy or a piece of crap; the 360 Guitar Hero controllers have always looked like both [the latter is debatable, the former, well, it's a fact]. However, they can take a hell of a lick, and I haven't seen one break under normal play. Irony strikes.

Luckily, I can just send it off to EA for a replacement, and then I'll unload it on eBay come Christmas time. Why people are paying $80 for a wired piece of crap is beyond me.

In any event, the man's question at the beginning was answered, so I supposed this all redundant. I'd sell the Fender before it breaks, but that's just me. Everything else in the kit seemed fine. Mic seemed as heavy as a real one [probably because that's what it is...], and worked fine. Drums had no issues other than I sucked at them [ha!]. I call shenanigans on whoever they contracted to manufacture the guitar.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not a drummer, and I suck at the game, but there's a combination of single hits, double hits (i.e. "snare" + "cymbal" or w/e), single hits + kick drum and double hits + kick drum. All those at various rhythms.

But yeah, there's stuff like what you described, where you have a 1 - 12 - 1 - 12 (1 = hi hat cymbal, 2 = snare) etc. beat going in the song and that's what the drum line translates to on-screen. Pretty cool stuff.

I like the singing the most. I 5* "Dani California" on Hard. Probably my favorite song in the game. Almost failed that Garbage song because of the speaking parts being pitched for some reason...and I'm a guy. Somehow nailed the high pitched singing portions of that track, though...hmmm...

Anyway, I've had the most fun with the vocals so far (although I only play those solo), guitar comes in second (some fun songs to play, some not so good ones too), and drums come in a big fat last, since I suck at them. Also, the song "Sabotage" or any song by the Beastie Boys is hereby declared illegal to be included in another rhythm game. I mean, honestly, what the fuck. That song sucks, and we played it about 5 times in Band World Tour over the course of 4 - 5 hours. Which brings up another complaint: with 45 songs, why the hell does the game make you play the same 10 for 3+ hours before you can play more in different, "bigger" venues? That's just crap. You can only play "In Bloom" or "Maps" so many times before they become boring.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

bought mine tonight and have got some time into it, love the drums! My GH3 guitar does indeed work and I much prefer it to the fender. The fender looks and feels like crap and I don't expect it to last long. Probably gonna see about selling it or maybe keep it around for the occassional visitor (mostly just gonna play with one other person and then via live)

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Threads merged.

-GAC-
    #vbender

Strawberry (Level 2) misfits859's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My guitar's strum seemed to work at random for awhile last nite before totally becoming umplayable. This was within a few hours of opening the box. If I didn;t have a GH3 guitar I would be beyond pissed off. From all the complaints available with a search of the popular gaming forums, I simply cannot believe that this issue escaped quality control. Which leads me to believe there was little of that...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by misfits859 View Post
    My guitar's strum seemed to work at random for awhile last nite before totally becoming umplayable. This was within a few hours of opening the box. If I didn;t have a GH3 guitar I would be beyond pissed off. From all the complaints available with a search of the popular gaming forums, I simply cannot believe that this issue escaped quality control. Which leads me to believe there was little of that...
    That really sucks. So the whole thing about the retail guitars being better build quality than those shitty demo guitars was B.S. then?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

If it's of any interest, the little round sticker that was on the bottom of the box for our demo at Best Buy, indicating the QC check date, was marked as early September. I've seen posts of ones that are all the way up to early October, so I don't think it's a matter of prototype vs. production models. It's a manufacturing flaw, no doubt.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My quick review after a few hours last night:

Don't care for the way you switch between instruments in single player, which is especially annoying because despite all the hype about being a party game, 90% of time everybody spends on this game will be single player. Also rather lame that you have to create different characters for each instrument, especially when you don't care at all about the characters - I just want to play the game, I don't care about character fluff!

The guitar aspects are OK. Definitely one step below GH in difficulty. Don't care for the look of the notes as much as GH, and I haven't seen a HO/PO yet. Maybe the tutorial shows how to recognize them, but they all look the same to me. The solo buttons are absolutely useless. Forget that they exist and just play the solos like normal notes. Also ignore the effects switch, as the difference it makes is negligible. No problems with my strum bar so far.

Drums are the most fun and by far the hardest. Pedal should attach to the crossbar more solidly, but otherwise the drums are nice, though loud. Sensitivity is odd though. In the menus the slightest tap registers. In-game I tend to hit quite a bit harder, yet more than a few hits failed to register. Hitting softly didn't help.

Vocals are what you would expect them to be. If you've played the Karaoke Revolutions games it is the same thing but you'll find it extremely easy. If you can get a platinum record on easy in KR, you can 100% everything on Hard in Rock Band (haven't tried expert yet). Thankfully they managed to get "star power" right with the vocals - while it is an odd way of activating it, your accumulated power isn't wasted during idle sections like it does on the other instruments or in GH.

So basically you have
    Guitar Hero N simplified 1 level of difficulty
    + Karaoke Revolution Rock simplified 2 levels of difficulty
    + Drummania (haven't played it to know how it compares)

So you're getting 3 games + instruments for $170. That's actually a heck of a good deal considering games are $60 these days. I'll probably DL My Sharona and Jukebox Hero tonight, but the rest of the DLC is sort of crap.

Now to figure out how to unlock all the songs so tomorrow for Thanksgiving the family can play the songs they want without having to put up with the idiocy of some tour mode.

Peach (Level 3) Princess-Isabela's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

beat game on drums yesterday(all 50 songs or so) on medium, perfect.
    I'm getting into hard and expert ^^
    drums feel really good, better than Konami's Drummania.
    more Nirvana and Metallica songs would be nice(they have Metallica 3 additional songs on xbox live ready to download from what I hear), cannot wait.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just got #1 on the vocal leaderboard for Paranoid, 100% on Expert and of course activating Overdrive whenever possible. Yay me.

A former co-worker who is a drummer in a band stopped by this afternoon to check out the drum portion of the game. He said it wasn't bad but not as good as Drumscape, and the whole "expert on drums is like playing the song for real" thing isn't true, pointing out numerous differences between the game and what he normally plays. He had some trouble getting used to the timing, and after watching him play Expert it is safe to say I will never play the drums on Expert.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Princess-Isabela View Post
    beat game on drums yesterday(all 50 songs or so) on medium, perfect.
    I'm getting into hard and expert ^^
    drums feel really good, better than Konami's Drummania.
    more Nirvana and Metallica songs would be nice(they have Metallica 3 additional songs on xbox live ready to download from what I hear), cannot wait.
    The Metallica songs are quite fun. If/when I get good with the drums, I could see me spending alot of time playing ...Justice, especially the intro.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So is this coming out for the Wii, or what?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    So is this coming out for the Wii, or what?
    A Wii version has not yet been confirmed.

http://wii.ign.com/objects/897/897529.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kingpong View Post
    Just got #1 on the vocal leaderboard for Paranoid, 100% on Expert and of course activating Overdrive whenever possible. Yay me.

A former co-worker who is a drummer in a band stopped by this afternoon to check out the drum portion of the game. He said it wasn't bad but not as good as Drumscape, and the whole "expert on drums is like playing the song for real" thing isn't true, pointing out numerous differences between the game and what he normally plays. He had some trouble getting used to the timing, and after watching him play Expert it is safe to say I will never play the drums on Expert.
    I'm having a hard enough time with Hard. I've beaten exactly one song in Hard (Paranoid), and I've made it about halfway through My Sharona, but I suck at most of the rest. I have a hard time making my foot hit the pedal fast and continuously, which they start to make you do in hard. Plus, they set up lots of situations where the bass pedal is played lots of times in a row, some in time with the other drum beats, and some not. I'll have to practice more, I guess. For now, I'm spending most of my time playing Medium, but my band of two has reached our fan limit and we can't open some of the other venues until I'm able to bump up the difficulty.

My sister, on the other hand, is really good at singing. She got 100% on Paranoid and My Sharona in Expert, both on her first try. She's managed to get 100% on a few songs in Hard, and rarely scores under about 97% or so on the rest. If only I could play the drums that well...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

I just got Rock Band today. Initial thoughts:

- The drums with the bass pedal makes it much more difficult than at the store. However, with practice, you can get excellent at coordination skills. My brother is a great drummer, so he is able to do it pretty well.

- The guitar feels MUCH better than you think o_O That Best Buy demo guitar was shitty, and people probably beat the crap out of it there. I don't get why people are having problems with it. You have to hit the strum bar a tad harder, but I play pretty aggressively, so it's great for me.

- Vocals, for me, is tough if you don't know the song. Otherwise, I did pretty damn good on In Bloom and Wave of Mutilation. Not to mention I'm sick o_O

- The multiplayer tour mode has you do a lot of stuff.
    Last edited by Nirvana; 11-22-2007 at 12:00 AM.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The game hates my rapping. Hates it. My girlfriend got "awesome!" on all the rap sections in "Epic" by Faith No More, but it was giving me "weak" and "okay" most of the time. She was whispering and I was belting it like Mike Patton does on the record. What's the deal with that?

I still love singing, though. I get raped by songs I don't know on Hard/Expert, but it's still fun. Some of the parts seem off, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"- The guitar feels MUCH better than you think o_O That Best Buy demo guitar was shitty, and people probably beat the crap out of it there. I don't get why people are having problems with it. You have to hit the strum bar a tad harder, but I play pretty aggressively, so it's great for me."

It's a hardware issue...not a problem caused by overbearing owners. Look at the sheer numbers of people who's guitars have failed already.