Thread: HDTV - Plasma or LCD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dylan021706

Default HDTV - Plasma or LCD

Just wondering basically what would be the best TV for gaming? I heard Plasmas are not good & I heard DLP`s have to be serviced. Anyone have the official word on the best option? Thanks in advance!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's an extraordinarily complicated question that I have been trying to discover the answer to for quite some time. I mostly only consider LCDs for gaming. A good question to ask is: Do you play any game systems that only output in 480i? Then you have to start worrying about lag, which for a gaming TV is what I consider to be the main spec to look for. Unfortunately lag is not really documented anywhere and almost has to be researched on your own. Sharp has TVs with "Vyper Drive" that supposedly reduces lag to a minimal amount. I tried one of these TVs, and my only complaint was that the S-video input was not "Vyper Drive" enabled.

Another thing is that you should look into, but that is not as important, is blurring. There is a good wikipedia article about HDTV blur. Basically, a 120 HZ TV will reduce the blur but increase the lag. There are new, expensive technologies that strobe the backlight and supposedly eliminate blur.

My ideal TV would have low lag ("Vyper Drive" or similar) and the strobing backlight. Unfortunately, such a TV either does not currently exist or is too expensive to afford. I use a standard definition CRT for all my gaming.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

Before everyone tells you to search...

Try an SED set.

All expensive HDTV's have the potential for problems. DLP's need light bulbs every couple years ($200 ish). Plasmas can have issues.

Just pick the set the has the best looking pictre according to your eye. Take a long time looking.

I have a DLP and it's awesome. Get a Sony SXRD, 50" or more and your good to go...it really is that simple. Bravia's are a good step up from the SXRD if you've got more cash. The larget Aquous sets are the ultimate but are not cost effective.

Keep in mind the extended warranties are a must for any expensive set and should reduce your worriesover hardware failure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Whoa, SED is already out?

I'd say something, but it's become apparent to me that some of the "received wisdom" I'd collected over the years about the various sets might not be true. That said, I still believe that plasma sets will have quite short lifespans at altitude (and you wouldn't want to get one thinking you'd have it for decades) and that they flicker close up (to produce various brightnesses of color).

SED sounds like the second coming, or close. Very low power use, always a plus. No radiation to speak of, which is also nice. Very slim case, same as LCD. Dunno about durability and such yet, though I'm not in the habit of punching my monitor (...any more).

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    Before everyone tells you to search...

Try an SED set.

All expensive HDTV's have the potential for problems. DLP's need light bulbs every couple years ($200 ish). Plasmas can have issues.

Just pick the set the has the best looking pictre according to your eye. Take a long time looking.

I have a DLP and it's awesome. Get a Sony SXRD, 50" or more and your good to go...it really is that simple. Bravia's are a good step up from the SXRD if you've got more cash. The larget Aquous sets are the ultimate but are not cost effective.

Keep in mind the extended warranties are a must for any expensive set and should reduce your worriesover hardware failure.
    Just going to post my opinions on a couple things mentioned here.

I have a Sony LCD rear projection, which is Sony's competitor to DLP (a Texas Instruments tech.). It has been running lots of hours for 5 years now and the bulb is fine, and I think it was even a display model before my father-in-law bought it. I don't notice any lag with it.

I've noticed a lot of people on here extol the virtues of extended warranties on electronics, and I disagree strongly. Aside from thee 360, most electronics just don't have high failure rates. If they did, retailers wouldn't push those warranties so hard, because they wouldn't be making shitloads of money off of them. *cough*Gamestop/360*cough* If you can't manage on the off chance your TV breaks and needs replacement or repair, you can't afford the thing in the first place.

But yeah, I think the Sony rear projections are a great value, unless you absolutely have to hang it on the wall, since they are about a foot deep.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    I've noticed a lot of people on here extol the virtues of extended warranties on electronics, and I disagree strongly. Aside from the 360, most electronics just don't have high failure rates.
    Don't forget about the PlayStation and the PlayStation 2. When I worked at a video game store several years ago, I always made sure my customers bought extended warranties for those two consoles. They thanked me later.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 10-31-2007 at 09:16 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a Sony 60" Lcd rear projection, and a JVC 56" Dlp rear projection and neither have lag or ghosting with my PS2 ,PS3 , Xbox 360, Xbox or Gamecube.

They are both less than 1 year old.

I bought my parents a 46" LCD and it doesn't have any lag or ghosting issues.

Basically anything made in the last year is going to be a safe bet unless it is just a VERY cheaply made lcd.

And Plasma's don't have any of the previous problems they used to have.

Insert Coin (Level 0) animesuperj's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a Mitsubishi 46" LCD, and I love it. I haven't had any problems with it, and the only time I notice lag is when I play rhythm games. I knew this going into it, which is why I have a 32" flat-screen CRT.

The reason I didn't go with a DLP was having to buy a new bulb every 2 - 3 years. I know I'd end up killing them faster too, because I turn my set on and off a lot. I also liked the idea of having a slim set. I've never really considered plasmas, cause of just not liking them. I have my PS3, 360, and Wii all on the LCD; and I love playing them on it. Never noticed any problems: lag, ghosting, etc. (Except for rhythm games).

Basically when it came down to it I looked at it this way:
    DLP pro - cheap and good picture.
    DLP con - bulb replacement and a bit bigger case size than I wanted

LCD pro - no bulb replacement, slim set
    LCD con - expensive and pixel drops (eventually)

Really it'll come down to what you want, what you want to do with it, and what you can stand if something goes wrong. I got sick of asking people's opinions at stores after a while, and just talked it over by myself and realized I wanted a LCD. Hope this can help!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Don't forget about the PlayStation and the PlayStation 2. When I worked at a video game store several years ago, I always made sure my customers bought extended warranties for those two consoles. They thanked me later.
    I thought the original PSX was pretty solid. The original Xbox, depending on which rev you got, seemed more likely to go - of course the Xbox in my household has a Thompson drive, and that needs to be replaced. Not a major fix, actually.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My DLP is on almost 12 hours a day, burned through bulb in 6 months. What I didn't know at the time, the bulbs are mercury bulbs so to get your new one you need to send old one back.

So once you're out of warranty it looks like when you lose your TV you're out for 1-2 weeks. DLP is definelty a scam.

Unforuntately my DLP looks much nicer than my LCD.

Whatever you do don't buy a DLP.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Knoxximus's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Knoxximus

I got a 65" Mitsu DLP and I'm happy as pie with it. I've had it for almost a year and a half and still have the original bulb in it (knock on wood). Picture is AWESOME. I say, as long as you know what ur getting into, DLP for gaming is great!
    Hardcore gamin' since '75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not sure why people still have the misconception that gaming on a plasma is bad. First generation plasmas did have problems with burn in, but that is all but gone now. I have had my plasma over a year, and have had gaming sessions longer than 6 hours. I have never had a problem with burn in.

Plasmas also have the best PQ out of any set, no viewing angle problems (Stand to the side of any projection type set...), and have quite a long life on them, if you don't pick a cheapo manufacturer. I would only recommend two companies for your plasma purchases....Panasonic and Samsung. They make the highest quality consumer plasmas on the market today.

If your gaming is going to be done in HD, and you have the coin to spend, a plasma is the way to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    itsmeFAMOUS

LCD, no image burn...

Insert Coin (Level 0) shawnb1824's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skelix View Post
    My DLP is on almost 12 hours a day, burned through bulb in 6 months. What I didn't know at the time, the bulbs are mercury bulbs so to get your new one you need to send old one back.

So once you're out of warranty it looks like when you lose your TV you're out for 1-2 weeks. DLP is definelty a scam.

Unforuntately my DLP looks much nicer than my LCD.

Whatever you do don't buy a DLP.
    What brand of tv do you have? I have a Samsung and just replaced the bulb (right at 2 years). The bulb was $149.99 (plus shipping, no tax). I was not required to return the old bulb. I would recommend buying a replacement bulb before you need it since no one in my area carried one I was without my tv for a week.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

Some of the early DLP's had issues with bulbs blowing to soon. I think it was an issue with the bulbs themselves and they have 'fixed' it.

Insert Coin (Level 0) UniHamachi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I were looking for a TV with gaming in mind, I would rate the technologies like this:

price per inch: DLP >>> LCD=Plasma
    PQ Plasma>DLP>>LCD (Plasma by hair in PQ, but has larger viewing angle)
    Screen damage DLP>LCD>>Plasma (DLP can't burn-in, LCD technically can't burn in but you can get stuck pixels and dead pixels, Plasma can get burn in and will lose brightness over time)

The biggest negative to DLP is the bulb, but if you don't get a defective bulb, it should last you 2 years even with heavy use. You can buy the entire bulb assembly (the lamp) in advance -- there is no need to wait, and the price difference between a DLP and Plasma is such that even if you include a spare lamp or two, DLP still comes out ahead. And wait, there's more -- in a price point between DLP and Plasma is the LED DLP which is bulbless with a slight hit in PQ.

Plasma is also much heavier and runs hotter and will increase your utility bill.

I use my DLP set for gaming and as a PC monitor, and the impossibility of burn-in is a real advantage. I can leave black text on white background and walk away to take a dump without worrying about burn-in.

I can see why some people like plasma sets (PQ, hanging it on the wall, which is kind of douche IMO, and "coolness" -- also douche), but I don't see any huge advantage that would justify the cost and power consumption. I am unimpressed by the contrast levels and color reproduction of LCD panels. The potential for dead pixels is a huge turn off for me.

SED sets have not shipped to market. They still haven't worked out litigiation issues. Also, SED is as susceptible to burn-in as CRT's, making them ill-suited for gaming.
    Last edited by UniHamachi; 11-01-2007 at 03:40 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My TV is a Mitsubishi 52" something or other It's a relatively new TV (7 months?).

My bulbs were $225ish if I remember. I actually tried to get some standby replacement bulbs, only one place in my area sold them. Yet he wouldn't sell me one unless I brought the old one in.

Shrug maybe they're all not Mercury bulbs.

But other than that, I love my TV it's a great picture. Some reviewed it as the internal fan was noisy (but who gives a shit I have a 360). If I did it over though I'd go with plasma.

Oh one thing I forgot to mention: Rainbow effect, some people think it's a crock of shit, they're the people who don't see it. The way colors are displayed etc with a DLP, I personally see the rainbow effect and it can get annoying and/or make me nauseous/headaches. So the biggest recommendation I can give you no matter what TV you buy grab a chair sit down at the store and watch a movie. See if it's the right one for you. If they kick you out buy it from someone else.
    Last edited by Skelix; 11-01-2007 at 06:16 PM. Reason: to add more

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A bulb burning out after 7 months, even with heavy use, is a defect in manufacture. Any set, if defective, can break down in 7 months. At least you only had to replace the lamp and not the entire TV. You should be able to purchse spares online.

The rainbow effect is real (I know because I can see it), and some people do report headaches. However, the newer DLP sets have much faster color wheels, which limits RBE and presumably headaches. Many people cannot even see RBE with newer DLP sets. I did when I first got my set, but I have subconciously learned to stop twitching my eyes while watching TV. Within 6 months, I rarely saw RBE, and I only see it anymore under increasingly extreme circumstances (it has to be something black on a white background, and even then rarely). Even when I first saw it, it didn't bother me anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a 50" Plasma Samsung, that plays xbox 360 beautifully. I experience no ghosting to speak of and really did not notice any problems at all. No lag, no ghosting, no burn in.

I also use a 42" DLP its Sony. Original bulb lasted approx. 2 years and then went on me. $130 later new bulb that has lasted over 3 years and I have had no other issues. (Except cleaning the air filter every 40 hours) The DLP does have some problems keeping up with games, for whatever reason DDR Extreme on the PS2 always got some lag and nice ghost images. Other than that my Wii made some nice ghosts on it during Madden 08 and lagged a bit. I would recommend non-DLP sets for gaming.

Check into a plasma or LCD. Forget the expensive bulbs that can last for who knows how long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sony doesn't make DLP sets. If they they ever have (which I think they never have), it hasn't been for years. Sony makes 3 chip LCoS rear projection sets. If it's an older model, it may be LCD RP, and that would be why you have a laggy picture.

BTW, my Samsung DLP doesn't have an air filter that I have to change. That is not a feature in modern DLP sets.

All 1080p DLP sets are superb for gaming.