I mentioned this briefly in another thread about 360 failures, but it happens so frequently that my concern over it is growing.

My first 360 failed on me - no red ring of death, but the DVD drive eject motor crapped out to the point where it wouldn't open at all.

It was a launch "core" unit, so I swapped it out for another used unit at my friends game store. This time for a used "premium" manufactured in 2006.

Everything is working perfectly with this one (knock wood) but I've noticed a MAJOR difference between the units is when I quit to dashboard, and/or sometimes when a game boots up it goes from an audible quick spin up of the disc (that high pitched whizzing noise ... probably going like 20X speed) immediately to a DISTURBINGLY loud "breaking" noise, as if the DVD drive suddenly started spinning in reverse during it's high speed spin up. It's kind of a loud fast "RAWWWRRR" noise.

Now the kicker is that it never seems to do anything negative when that happens. No disc errors, no slow load times ... everything functions normally ... but the noise is horrifying.

I know that Microsoft has used several different manufacturers for DVD drives since the launch of the 360, so I'm guessing that this MAY be a standard action of one of the newer drives. I'm just wondering if I'm the ONLY person who has this going on.

Anybody else experiencing this awful loud noise on quits to the dashboard, or any other times? Has it lead to any disc damage or system failures in your experiences?