Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Videogames that will be sold out everywhere from Black Friday to Christmas

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Exclamation Videogames that will be sold out everywhere from Black Friday to Christmas

So I never preorder ANYTHING, but I think now may be a good time to start. Rock Band is quickly approaching as well as Super Mario Galaxy and I have made some conclusions.

Software

-Rock Band (360, PS3, PS2) is going to be tough to get. Did you see the article about the shortage already?

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rock-band/t...ity-318040.php

- Super Mario Galaxy is going to be the Wii seller this holiday season (as if they needed a system seller, we will get to that in a minute.) This game looks amazing, plays amazing, and is the killer App. that the Wii needs. Going to be tough to get, but not as tough as Rock Band.

- Guitar Hero III (Wii, 360, PS2, PS3) It was scarce when the original came out, but I think Activision has the idea, for I am seeing these everywhere. No telling what Black Friday may hold though. I think extra wireless guitars may be tough to get as well. (360, PS3)

Hardware

- Wii Systems are going to be impossible to find again. Rumor is that a ton of systems will be released with Super Mario Galaxy launch, but we all know what happened last Holiday, and they are still scarce in most regions currently.

- DS Lites, especially Gold and Pink bundles. There was a mad craze last year to get that damn Pink DS Lite. Systems prices spiraled out of control on eBay last year. This was definitely a surprise to me, and I personally think came unexpected to Nintendo.

Honorable Mention

- Wii Zapper w/ Link's Crossbow training. This is going to be something that flies under the public radar until it actually hits. I predict these will be tough to find.

What do you guys think will be some of the tougher items to get this holiday season?

-GAC-
    Last edited by GrandAmChandler; 11-02-2007 at 01:57 PM.
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Rock Band: Yeah, I could easily see this as being hard to get as it's being sold in a bundle. Not many stores are going to want to carry $170 package for a video game system.

Super Mario Galaxy: This being hard to get a hold of? I disagree. It's probably going to be everywhere. Even after the big hoo-ha of the Wii launch, I still saw copies of Twilight Princess at many stores. Same situation here.

GH III: They are everywhere now and they're still going to be everywhere later. Unless there's some weird sale or promo.

DS Lites: I have to wholly agree with you. It's just mind boggling that these things still fly off shelves. They're not just for gifts but people who own DS's will sell/give/trade what they have and get a new one just because of the new color. My wife passed by Gamestop's trade sale with her DS because she thought the brighter screen wasn't worth it and the D-Pad wasn't responsive enough (I traded in mine and got the white-love the screen but hate the D-Pad for Animal Crossing). When the Crimson came out, she jumped on that as soon as she saw the sales flier.

Zapper: Y'know, I'm not sure how I see this. Are people going to get on the accessory bandwagon this generation? I think the longtime Nintendo fans will get one but beyond that the sales will be on the cool side. People have to store their Wiimotes and 'chucks, now where do they put the Zapper and the Wii Fit board?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Zapper: Y'know, I'm not sure how I see this. Are people going to get on the accessory bandwagon this generation? I think the longtime Nintendo fans will get one but beyond that the sales will be on the cool side. People have to store their Wiimotes and 'chucks, now where do they put the Zapper and the Wii Fit board?
    Or their Guitars? I think people are now more than open to accessories. Will the zapper be hard to get? Prob, but only because I don't see them flooding the market with them. I don't think people will go nuts for them. Now the fit board would be another matter.

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I think Galaxy will have enough supply to satisfy the deman (which is going to be huge) but I preordered it just in case. (I had trouble finding Zelda on launch and had to hold off until after Christmas to pick it up.)

And I think Yoshi M is right about RockBand. It might not necessarily be the demand that makes it scarce but the size and price that are going to scare retailers off from stocking tons of them. GHIII seems pretty well stocked.

I really can't see the Wii Zapper flying off the shelves. Maybe its my old man brain kicking in but I think people would be more responsive to a new Duck Hunt rather than Link's Crossbow Training, and there doesn't seem to be much hype/need for the peripheral.
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrider31 View Post
    I really can't see the Wii Zapper flying off the shelves. Maybe its my old man brain kicking in but I think people would be more responsive to a new Duck Hunt rather than Link's Crossbow Training, and there doesn't seem to be much hype/need for the peripheral.
    This is not a thread based on sales. I am saying these are going to fly under the radar, and not many are going to be around, thus making them hard to get. There is no way this will be like a Rock Band or a Super Mario Galaxy in terms of sales, this is a quirky game / accessory.

Now if at the same time they release Duck Hunt, other NES Zapper games, Super Scope 6 games on the Virtual Console at the same time as launch......

All bets are then off.
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Well, I can verify that GH III is hard to get from around here. A friend of mine had to go all over the twic cities to find a copy. I did not have that problem as I pre-ordered. No surprise on Rock Band either with the cost and all the accessories that come with the game. I knew that was going to be a pre-order a long time ago.

As for Galaxy, i could see that being hard to get because of the Wii being so popular.

I could see COD 4 being hard to get over the holidays, no exact reason but I see alot of Halo 3 gamers are going to be switching to COD4.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler View Post
    This is not a thread based on sales. I am saying these are going to fly under the radar, and not many are going to be around, thus making them hard to get. There is no way this will be like a Rock Band or a Super Mario Galaxy in terms of sales, this is a quirky game / accessory.

Now if at the same time they release Duck Hunt, other NES Zapper games, Super Scope 6 games on the Virtual Console at the same time as launch......

All bets are then off.
    Oh wow, you know I never thought of that. Super Scope VC games? Crap... there goes another 20 bucks. Thank God for multivitamins.
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

There is no way that Super Mario Galaxy will be hard to find. Games like Rock Band or Guitar Hero III will be HTF only because of their specialty hardware. Regular games? No way.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can easily see these things selling out in major cities but where I live we don't see that stuff. There is no black friday rush, just a few sales.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i think rock band is going to be a big pain the ass to get. ive played super mario galaxy (not a killer app) i think it sucks but it should be readily available. the wii is starting to show up in my gamestop, we got 20 in the other day and there are about 15 left and supposedly were going to get more for black friday.

Strawberry (Level 2) misfits859's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can see Rock Band turning into an ebay cash cow.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by misfits859 View Post
    I can see Rock Band turning into an ebay cash cow.
    I kinda doubt it. There is certainly demand for Rock Band, but I think part of the problem is they underestimated Xbox 360 demand and probably miscalculated what the demand would be for the PS3 and PS2 versions. I've heard from a couple of sources that the Xbox 360 is doing something like 5X the number of pre-orders the other versions are. I would be willing to bet that the PS2 and PS3 versions will be somewhat available while the Xbox 360 might be in shorter supply. Having said all that, it's a game that costs $170 that is available at roughly the same time as a very similar game (GH3) and I just don't see a lot of people beyond the core Guitar Hero audience needing to have the game right at launch or even this Christmas. I could be wrong, but at a time when a lot of gamers are already going to be putting a Wii, Xbox 360 or PS3 on their Christmas list, I can't see most people expecting to get a game that almost costs as much as a console as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the Wii Zapper will be tough to track down until at least January. It's bundled with a game and it's $20. It's definitely not going to be the next Wii Sports but it will be a hit.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can you actually pre-order the Wii Zapper anywhere? I asked at Gamestop but they wouldn't allow me to do a pre-order on it. You can only do pre-orders on games.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZackyH View Post
    Can you actually pre-order the Wii Zapper anywhere? I asked at Gamestop but they wouldn't allow me to do a pre-order on it. You can only do pre-orders on games.
    I believe it's available on Gamestop's website, but it's priced at $5 above MSRP like they have been doing with a lot of lower priced items lately. I'd recommend you just take your chances at a local big box retailer or indy game shop.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Super Mario Galaxy: This being hard to get a hold of? I disagree. It's probably going to be everywhere. Even after the big hoo-ha of the Wii launch, I still saw copies of Twilight Princess at many stores. Same situation here.
    Agreed, I'm sure the retail stores are going to have an abundance of this.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it's fun when people give an opinion and pretend it's a fact!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Isn't Rock Band published by EA? They tend to release games in massive quantity. I can see EA making more copies next year.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by ScourDX View Post
    Isn't Rock Band published by EA? They tend to release games in massive quantity. I can see EA making more copies next year.
    Well, the games may be easy to come by, but the bundles? They'll be in huge demand for a looooooooooong time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wii Zapper, Zelda DS lite and Super Mario Galaxy, are all on my wants.
    Hopefully i'll get SMG on release day.