Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Random Game O' the Day: Spy Hunter

The random game generator chooses this Midway classic, specificaly the NES version, for today. How ironic, on a day where I was caught behind the worlds slowest driver to ever take the fast lane all the way to work, a day where I really needed front-mounted machine guns on my car, that this would be the first game the database tossed out at me.

So here's your chance to write yor own mini review. As you can see below, the game was available on many home consoles. What do you think of the game? If you've played a few of the home versions, which one most accurately captures the arcade game (other than the compilations which emulate the coin-op)? Let's hear your opinion on this classic!

DP Guide sez:

Spy Hunter (w/Joystick Coupler) (Atari 2600, by Sega) $20/R4
    Based on the 1983 Bally Midway coin-op. This game utilized the fire buttons from both joysticks. A plastic joystick connector was packaged with this game. It allowed you to snap two standard Atari sticks in and operate them as if they were one controller. #011-01.

Spy Hunter (Atari XE, by Sega) $25/R5
    Based on the 1983 Bally Midway coin-op. If you'd like instructions on modifying a 7800 joystick to utilize both fire buttons with this game, email us at: digitalpress@email.com. #011-03.

Spy Hunter (ColecoVision, by Coleco) $20/R5 +
    Based on the 1983 Bally Midway coin-op. Includes overlay(s). Super Action Controller compatible. PERIODICALS: Listed as one of the "99 Favorite Classics" by Digital Press in 1997. c1984 Bally Midway, Coleco. #2617.

Spy Hunter (Commodore 64, by Sega) $15/R5 +
    Based on the 1983 Bally Midway coin-op. Great conversion of the arcade fave. In many ways, this is slightly easier and more playable than the parent machine. PERIODICALS: Scored 87% in Zzap!64 May 1985. Listed as one of the "99 Favorite Classics" by Digital Press in 1997. c1983 Bally
    Midway, 1984 Sega. #011-05.

Spy Hunter (Nintendo NES, by SunSoft) $3/R1
    Based on the 1983 Bally Midway coin-op. Released 9/87. EASTER EGGS: After exiting from a weapons van, pull to the right immediately. You'll be able to drive over water or rough terrain until the road widens out again. c1987 Sun Electronics, 1983 Bally Midway. #NES-HU-USA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've only played the NES version. I tried to like it, but it just really bored me. A lot of games are like that for me though, I'm a very picky gamer. Does anyone remember the Action Fighter For the Master System? That was the worst Spy Hunter rip ever.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

And who could forget Peter Gunn doing the Spy Hunter theme.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

CV Spy Hunter, with the wheel, rocks. Bump n Jump with guns instead of jumps!

SMS Action fighter is a crappy rip off, BUT it's shmup levels are decent. The car levels are like a deadly quagmire... I had that game the same Christmas I got the SMS. Out of necessity, I forced myself to get good at it. :/ Never beaten it, but have come close.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My comments pertain to the Arcade release and its conversions:

I liked the game a lot, but it was definitely frustrating to play. Yes, the music was great, and it was fitting for the whole spy thing of the 80's too. I loved the big limo, and the gun that came out the back window and sniped you. Great stuff!

But, I didn't agree with the unlimited lives while the counter was running, and then one more life afterwards. I found it to be a little unfair. It was helpful at the start, but then after playing it a bit, you really had to be lucky with your last life. I also hated destroying a biker and the junked bike killing my car.

The arcade machine itself was quite a sight to see. I loved the flashing button in the middle of the wheel to call in your support truck.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Ascending Wordsmith's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The NES version of Spy Hunter was pretty good, unless you played the arcade version as much as I did. Still the NES plays it alright. Did anybody else pull off the 'ground hugger' cheat? I did and I found out the game never ends. With a clamp on the controller, the game will scroll for infinity.
    Never use a long word where a short one will do.

--George Orwell

(formerly PC Kwaj)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the game loses its fun in home incarnations. I've tried to play various versions of it over the years, and even arcade-perfect emulated versions fail to keep me playing. Mostly, it is the control that suffers at home. The arcade had a wheel, a button for each weapon + a button to call the supply truck. It also had a manual shift for high low, and a pedal for acceleration. Combined, these controls allowed me to actually play and get better at the levels; at home, I either drive too slowly or immediately crash into cars/obstacles.

The loud Peter Gunn theme seemed so cool in the 80's but now it doesn't elicit the same interest from me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to play the C64 version constantly Bloody brilliant game for it's time, especially with the vehicle conversions. I never did make it past the third or 4th season change though.....soooooooo hard! And other version I've played I wasn't as impressed with.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the NES version. I play it all the time. I kinda suck at it though, but for some reason I just can't get enough of it. I played the newer versions of the game but just can't get myself to like it. It's something about taking a top view and turning it into a rear view I think. I can't stand changes like that. Just like in GTA1/2 to the third one. Loved 1 & 2, but can't stand the new ones.
    ~Rich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    And who could forget Peter Gunn doing the Spy Hunter theme.
    umm.... dont you mean spy hunter doing the peter gunn theme?

willie

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by IntvGene
    But, I didn't agree with the unlimited lives while the counter was running, and then one more life afterwards. I found it to be a little unfair. It was helpful at the start, but then after playing it a bit, you really had to be lucky with your last life. I also hated destroying a biker and the junked bike killing my car.
    One quick comment. You gained extra lives beyond that "one left" after the timer runs out. In fact, if memory serves, you could come out of the timed portion of the game with more than one extra life.

I think you need to give the game another chance! I thought the timer was a great innovation, not only for getting novices some play time but also to play as recklessly as you'd like for the beginning of the game. I don't know about you, but I'm full-speed deadly until that timer runs out!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I really like the ColecoVision version; it's quite possibly one of the best. I was pleasantly surprised to see that, in fact, all of the vehicles are multi-colored, something you can't really see from the usual screenshots. Gameplay and sound are even better.

It's especially fun just after or before a Roger Moore/Sean Connery James Bond movie.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm with Cafeman 100%. I end up frustrated with home conversions because the control just isn't there.

But wait--does anybody know if the Midway Collection (PSX) version is compatible with any of the PSX steering wheel / gas pedal combinations? Since they have shifters and buttons on the wheel, it could get pretty close to the arcade experience...
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    One quick comment. You gained extra lives beyond that "one left" after the timer runs out. In fact, if memory serves, you could come out of the timed portion of the game with more than one extra life.

I think you need to give the game another chance! I thought the timer was a great innovation, not only for getting novices some play time but also to play as recklessly as you'd like for the beginning of the game. I don't know about you, but I'm full-speed deadly until that timer runs out!
    I agree that it was definitely unique and revolutionary, and an interesting way of doing it, but it just didn't work that well with me... probably because I sucked at it.

I agree with some of the other comments, the home versions didn't work that well. On the Atari 8-bit, you had to use the keyboard to get out your special weapons, which really took out a lot of the fun. The colecovision was the probably the best, especially with the wheel and all.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn song has been stuck in my head for years.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

I love Spy Hunter the arcade game (one of my fond memories involve me playing Spy Hunter at a local bowling alley with Seb way back in 1987 or 1988.

The Colecovision version is pretty good too. However, I can't stand the NES version. I find that it pales in comparison to its CV ancestor. And let's not get into the topic of Spy Hunter II for the NES...

BTW, the Peter Gunn theme was originally performed by Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had this on the C64... pretty fun game... The music will remian in your head for eternity. It was a long time before I knew that docking with the truck gave you power ups! I'd always just blast it untill I realized it was saying "0 Points" in the status bar everytime I wasted one.
    Once I hit the desert scenery, game over was not far behind... A combination of Divided Highways and those damned Helicopters made it SO much harder than the previous scenes.

And whats the deal with Action Fighter on the SMS? If Sega did the conversion of Spy Hunter for the 2600, XE and C64 why couldn't they code their own port for the SMS rather than make a blatantly similar game with different title? I think Action Fighter would have been much better received by people as Spy Hunter or at least a sequel rather than as the "copycat" game it's come to be known as.

Alex Kidd
    The Weed Of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit You Old Hag!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

I loved the arcade game and played the c64 version a lot when I was a kid. The C64 version also had a glitch where you could drive off the road on the right and rack up points. I ended up using my action replay cartridge to hack the sprites in the game.

I like the NES and Colecovision versions. The emulated versions on modern consoles are too hard to control.

I like Super Spy Hunter for NES a lot too, it's like Contra in a car. I didn't like the PS2 update though. At first it was neat, but pretty soon it felt like work to get all the tasks done vs a fun game to play... :/

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye
    BTW, the Peter Gunn theme was originally performed by Emerson, Lake and Palmer.
    Better dig up Henry Mancini and let him know he didn't do it... (Why can't albums have cover art like this anymore? http://tralfaz-archives.com/coverart/M/gunn.html)

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Oops! You're right! However, I still think that the ELP cover is really cool, although I also like the new cover used for the 2002 Spy Hunter game.