Thread: TG16 import question ...

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Default TG16 import question ...

Would one of these fit/work properly in a US TG-16 or Turbo Express?

http://www.ic2005.com/shop/product.p...1&bestseller=Y

I was always under the impression that PCE Hu Cards didn't fit/wouldn't run in a US system.

The site shows the TG-16 under the um, "supported consoles" ... but, I'd rather get a clear "yes", "no", or "you'll need to modify your TG-16 in this way" answer from the gang here.

I just had my Turbo Express audio capacitor repaired ... so this would be a nice investment right now for my collection, but I'm not going to drop $100 if it doesn't work/fit properly.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Having never used this particular flash cart before I can't give you any solid advice, however seeing that the cart has pins on both sides I'd assume it'd fit into any NEC Machine you throw it at. For example, take a look at some of the pictures:

Notice how the pin sizes are different and the card's flipped? My guess is you use different sides of the hu-card depending what region you're using.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do not own such flash card but I have a couple of friends who do and they told me the card was working fine on their TG-16. As far as I know, when you copy the roms from your PC onto the Flash card, you have to specify what system you'll use (PCE ot TG16) and it will properly save the game data for you. Here is a quote from the link you sent:

you'll see all of the ones you picked in the bottom portion of the program. Click on the button "WRITE". A pop up will ask what type of system you are using. Most of us here are using the TG-16 Console... or the Express handheld. So of course you'd pick TG-16 as your option. It then writes all of the games so they can play on a TG-16 (US BASED) system.
    So it looks like you can even play Japanese games on a TG16 with this Flash Card... sweet !

> Notice how the pin sizes are different and the card's flipped?
    > My guess is you use different sides of the hu-card depending what region you're using.

I may be wrong, but I think the other end is that way so you can plug it in the USB converter (and to your PC).

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lkermel View Post

So it looks like you can even play Japanese games on a TG16 with this Flash Card... sweet !

> Notice how the pin sizes are different and the card's flipped?
    > My guess is you use different sides of the hu-card depending what region you're using.

I may be wrong, but I think the other end is that way so you can plug it in the USB converter (and to your PC).
    Yeah, I'm most likely wrong. Although I believe the PC-Engine and TG-16 have different pin setups (just like the Famicom and NES).
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Thanks guys.

Makes sense.

Though, I recall back in my high school days, my friend had a PC Engine, or a PC Engine Super Graphix ... or one of the many PC Engine models ... and the Hu Cards for that system that he brought to my house were a bit too "thick" to fit properly in my Turbo Grafix 16.

What was the deal with those? Am I remembering something wrong? Was there a PC Engine system that used different types of Hu Cards that were bigger / thicker?
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have this card - it works / fits in all TG/PCE consoles. The end with narrow pins is for the programmer. When you write the card, it asks which console you'll be using & will rearrange the bytes accordingly.

As for PC engine cards that are too thick for TG16... I don't think that's correct. The size of PCE & Supergrafx cards are the same as TG16 cards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    I have this card - it works / fits in all TG/PCE consoles. The end with narrow pins is for the programmer. When you write the card, it asks which console you'll be using & will rearrange the bytes accordingly.

As for PC engine cards that are too thick for TG16... I don't think that's correct. The size of PCE & Supergrafx cards are the same as TG16 cards.
    Excellent! Thanks for clarifying everything about the flash card! I'll be picking one up for my newly repaired/restored Turbo Express (that some may have seen sound-less at the last NAVA meeting).

I must be remembering SOMETHING wrong about the Hu Cards... maybe they fit but just didn't run, which I know is the case without an adapter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Hates_You View Post
    I must be remembering SOMETHING wrong about the Hu Cards... maybe they fit but just didn't run, which I know is the case without an adapter.
    They fit, but some of the pins are reversed, which won't allow them to run on a TG-16. Same goes for TG-16 games on a PC Engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy View Post
    They fit, but some of the pins are reversed, which won't allow them to run on a TG-16. Same goes for TG-16 games on a PC Engine.
    What appoloboy said.

Still a region mod takes care of that problem.