Thread: PS2 games that suck on the PS3

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS2 games that suck on the PS3

Not even the 20/60gig models are immune. I ran into a problem of my own yesterday. I tried playing Crisis Zone on a 60gigger with the new 2.00 firmware, and it wouldn't work properly. The brightness test in the beginning failed every time, and only the last shot from the machine gun did anything. It was possible to pull back and forth on the trigger really fast to get somewhere in the game, but it was so annoying and pointless and would probably cause you to run out of time anyway. I'd imagine the extra mode with the handgun and the shotgun would work better when using those weapons, but I've got to hope I don't accidentally pick up a flamethrower. It's so annoying because not only does Time Crisis 3 work, but the machine gun in Time Crisis 3 works perfectly. So I had to play Crisis Zone on my PS2 which I haven't touched in months. What a load.

So, give us your game of choice, your firmware version (if known), and what model you're playing it on. 40gig owners need not apply.
    Last edited by Chuplayer; 11-12-2007 at 10:03 AM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Crap that sucks!!

Crisis Zone is easily the best in the series.

This is actually one of the first compatability issues I've heard about with PS2 games on the PS3.

I've played a huge chunk of my PS2 library on my PS3, and I haven't had any issues, especially since they tweaked the PS2 graphics in the early firmware updates.

Of course, if I do have a single PS2 game gripe on the PS3 it's the fact that they crippled Guitar Hero 2 / wired PS2 Guitar Hero Controller usage on the PS3

Somebody did it ... it might be Sony, it might be Red Octane, it might be Harmonix ... nobody ever took full public responsibility.

Sure, Guitar Hero 1 works FINE in PS2 mode with the controller and a USB adapter ... but NOT Guitar Hero 2???

Still, all things considered - even the PS2 had a few compatability issues with PS1 games, and the PS3 has much better backwards compatability than the 360.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ElPrivon

you think daz bad? i have a ps2 library of 70 games plus, and i just so happened to find the one game that made me regret selling my ps2 for, Indigo prophecy, halfway thru the game theres a fatal hang, impossible to get around, so i had to rebuy a brand new ps2 afte having sold my old ps2 2 weeks prior for 30 dollars just to play that game, some ps1 games also have issues, final fantasy 8 most notably

edit: playing on a 60 gig

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by EX-Soldier View Post
    you think daz bad? i have a ps2 library of 70 games plus, and i just so happened to find the one game that made me regret selling my ps2 for, Indigo prophecy, halfway thru the game theres a fatal hang, impossible to get around, so i had to rebuy a brand new ps2 afte having sold my old ps2 2 weeks prior for 30 dollars just to play that game, some ps1 games also have issues, final fantasy 8 most notably

edit: playing on a 60 gig
    Double crap!

Great topic, as it's caused me to discover two games I really enjoy have compatibility issues. Hopefully that "fatal hang" in Indigo gets fixed by attrition in a future firmware upgrade.

And, since I haven't finished the game yet (started it on PS3...but didn't get to the hang ... so I'll transfer the memory card save out) - I'm glad I kept one of my PS2s!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Hates_You View Post
    Double crap!

Great topic, as it's caused me to discover two games I really enjoy have compatibility issues. Hopefully that "fatal hang" in Indigo gets fixed by attrition in a future firmware upgrade.

And, since I haven't finished the game yet (started it on PS3...but didn't get to the hang ... so I'll transfer the memory card save out) - I'm glad I kept one of my PS2s!
    lol as long as i got to save a fellow indigo fan, my loss wasnt in vain, theres entire forums set up warning ppl of the fatal hang, it occurs in chapter 23

i love that game tho, it was worth me buying a ps2 slim, it looked like shit on my ps3 hooked up to an hdtv, sdtv + ps2 FTW!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kya: Dark Lineage had some wonky audio issues that may or may not have been ironed out since I played through the game earlier this year. By wonky audio issues, I mean the background music would morph into super angry experimental music comprised of distorted sound effects and the only way to fix it was to turn off the game and reload your save.

I think I last played it with the 1.5 firmware though, so the improvements since then (of which there's been many!) may have corrected the problem.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head that's really given me much trouble that wasn't equally as buggy on a real PS2.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I've had no real issues concerning backwards compatibility. There was at one point while playing Persona 3 that I saw a little bit of wierdness in the textures for a minute or two, but the game didn't lock up or anything like that, and eventually the wierdness went away and I had never seen it again after that. Everything else I've played works great.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I edited my original post to include the firmware version. If you know it, post it.

I was also pleasantly surprised at how well the 60gig handles PS2 games. It was a shock to me to find out that Crisis Zone didn't work properly. When I got the system, I only tried Time Crisis 3 briefly. I didn't expect Crisis Zone to not work.

About the Guitar Hero games, do they work with the Sixaxis? I was thinking of Frankensteining a Sixaxis and my GH1 guitar so I could play GH1 and Rocks the 80s on the PS3.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank god this doesn't effect the games I enjoy from the PS2.
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Chuplayer View Post
    I edited my original post to include the firmware version. If you know it, post it.

I was also pleasantly surprised at how well the 60gig handles PS2 games. It was a shock to me to find out that Crisis Zone didn't work properly. When I got the system, I only tried Time Crisis 3 briefly. I didn't expect Crisis Zone to not work.

About the Guitar Hero games, do they work with the Sixaxis? I was thinking of Frankensteining a Sixaxis and my GH1 guitar so I could play GH1 and Rocks the 80s on the PS3.
    Yes, both work with the SixaxiS ... which along with the fact that Guitar Hero 1 works fine with the wired guitar hardware is further evidence that somebody somewhere didn't WANT people playing Guitar Hero 2 and Rocks the 80's on the PS3.

I think it was a quiet, deliberate cripple job, because for practically all of 2005/2006 Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero 2 were moving thousands and thousands of new PS2 systems in the US and elsewhere...

...but, back to your question, I've seen a few blogs showing how other people used a SixaxiS in the guts of a Guitar Hero 1 controller ... the only issue being that I think Guitar Hero 2 works with different buttons on the controller than Guitar Hero 1 (I'm pretty sure the shoulder buttons function as the first 4 color tabs on Guitar Hero 2 and Rocks the 80's, and the regular buttons work as the tabs on Guitar Hero 1 ... )

but then again, you can play Guitar Hero 1 fine on PS2 with a standard PS2 to USB adapter. So no need to use a mod SixaxiS / Guitar for that one anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have had issues with the click meter not working right on Hot Shots Golf 3. I really don't know if it is the Sixaxis or lag on my HDTV, but the game is highly unplayable.
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Juganawt
    PSN
    Juganawt

Over 60% of my collection has issues with PS3 (Fw 2.00). Bear in mind mine is a software based PAL machine. Most noteably, only a few Koei games work properly. Some games like Dynasty Tactics run, but are so glitchy that they're rendered unplayable.

here's a few games that dont work properly that i've tried playing.

PS1

X Files (won't boot)
    Overblood (hangs on title)
    Re-Volt (amazingly bad slowdown)
    Doom (hangs on loading screen)
    Tai Fu (no polygons)

PS2

Dynasty Warriors 2 (messed up graphics)
    Dynasty Tactics (messed up graphics)
    Dynasty Tactics 2 (messed up graphics, horrendous slowdown)
    Kessen (won't pass title screen)
    Kessen II (major GFX glitches, rendering unplayable)
    Kessen II (screwy character model polygons)
    Gitaroo Man (lag on sound after button press)
    GDF Tactics (wont load)
    Conflict Zone (slowdown)
    Virtua Fighter 15th Anniversary (messed up physics.. Characters wont move and will fall through the floor)
    Quake 3 (unplayable speed)
    Unreal Tournament (glitchy gfx)
    Project Zero 3 (progressive scan mode doesnt work)
    Grab The Mic (Mic doesnt work. Game unplayable)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by Juganawt View Post
    Over 60% of my collection has issues with PS3 (Fw 2.00). Bear in mind mine is a software based PAL machine. Most noteably, only a few Koei games work properly. Some games like Dynasty Tactics run, but are so glitchy that they're rendered unplayable.

here's a few games that dont work properly that i've tried playing.

PS1

X Files (won't boot)
    Overblood (hangs on title)
    Re-Volt (amazingly bad slowdown)
    Doom (hangs on loading screen)
    Tai Fu (no polygons)

PS2

Dynasty Warriors 2 (messed up graphics)
    Dynasty Tactics (messed up graphics)
    Dynasty Tactics 2 (messed up graphics, horrendous slowdown)
    Kessen (won't pass title screen)
    Kessen II (major GFX glitches, rendering unplayable)
    Kessen II (screwy character model polygons)
    Gitaroo Man (lag on sound after button press)
    GDF Tactics (wont load)
    Conflict Zone (slowdown)
    Virtua Fighter 15th Anniversary (messed up physics.. Characters wont move and will fall through the floor)
    Quake 3 (unplayable speed)
    Unreal Tournament (glitchy gfx)
    Project Zero 3 (progressive scan mode doesnt work)
    Grab The Mic (Mic doesnt work. Game unplayable)
    HOLY GUACAMOLE!!!!!

OVERBLOOD WAS THE SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTT
    i miss that so much in fact im gonna post in the buy/sell forums right now....

'pipo??? PIPO?!? PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE POOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!"