Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sega cd emulation on PSP now possible!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default sega cd emulation on PSP now possible!

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=22882

this is very good news!
    so far ive gotten sonic cd, popful mail, & snatcher to work.
    Last edited by dairugger; 11-19-2007 at 01:58 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

haha I asked my friend at work about this just yesterday. Don't have a PSP yet but this might help out my decision, especially since my real sega cd needs a fuse fix that I havent gotten around to yet...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

also tried out lunar, & terminator. both seem to work ok.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If Snatcher works flawlessly I'm in heaven.

Pretzel (Level 4) Dragon Warrior Jasen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice to hear! Just one more reason the Modded PSP is good to go. Good think I just finished updateing to the latest installment of the Universal Downgrader for both SLIM and normal PSPs!
    Jasen's Customs, Like it on Facebook!

Tutorials on SuperGuns
    http://www.thesupergun.com

Rocking Out a Digital Press since 2007
    My Feedback here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I just read about this last night. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet but I hear the emulation is great with full-speed on most games. The timing is good too because I just downloaded a complete set of SegaCD/MegaCD ISO's.

This is definitely big news for the PSP though. I've been wishing someone would make a SCD emulator for PSP since people started writing homebrew for it.
    Last edited by norkusa; 11-19-2007 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PSP would be a great platform to play some Shining Force CD

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

Looks like it just might get a little sweeter.

Sega Saturn psp emulation!

http://www.psp-hacks.com/2007/11/19/...-with-yabause/
    gamertag: pony0ne
    Wii friend: 6437 2281 7665 7241
    http://youtube.com/patrolskies - Patrol The Skies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyone View Post
    Looks like it just might get a little sweeter.

Sega Saturn psp emulation!

http://www.psp-hacks.com/2007/11/19/...-with-yabause/
    Saturn emulation on the PSP would be sweet but it won't even come close to running games at full speed. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

Probably not, but nice to see them trying.

Anyway, About this sega cd emulation, I am still on 3.40 oe or whatever, will that work?

and the games you are listing, are they running full speed (sonic cd snatcher etc)?

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

and the games you are listing, are they running full speed (sonic cd snatcher etc)?
    They ran full speed on the GP2X version of the emulator, so I assume they would run full speed on the PSP version.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Juganawt
    PSN
    Juganawt

On the whole, it runs very, VERY well indeed.

Most games run full speed with no issues, but some games need accurate timing enabled which makes 'em run at around 45 FPS.

Word of advise though, Convert any Bin/Cue games to Iso/Mp3, as they run better.

Also, even though it *is* possible to compress Sega CD games, I'd advise against compressing any isos that are over 15 meg in size (not counting the Mp3 files), otherwise you spend ages decompressing data at very annoying intervals.

On the whole, i'm extremely impressed with this. All they need to do is get SVP support (never gonna happen), or 32X support (much more likely) so I can get my Virtua Racing fix on the go!

As for the Saturn emu, I think they're biting off more than they can chew with that one. I mean, PSP isn't powerful enough to even run N64 emulation at more than around 15 FPS, which is about 10 times easier and less processor intensive than Saturn ever was. Even Xbox can't run Saturn games under emulation at full speed... so unless they've got a Sega crew working on an official emulator, I don't think we'll ever see Nights run at full speed on this generation of Portables.
    Last edited by Juganawt; 11-22-2007 at 11:20 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

If you guys want, I think we should start a list in this thread of games we tried that didn't work well or at all on default settings, and what settings you used to get them to run... or games that you've come across that don't work.

My psp is charging right now so I can't get to my settings, but I've discovered a few tricks to get seemingly non working/slow games to be normal.

The one I kind of remember right now (I believe this was the only setting) was I put frameskip to 3 on sewer shark. On default levels the videos run fine, but the actual sewer driving is way too slow. 3 frameskip seems to set it back to normal speed.

Terminator was another one that didn't run too well until I put it on some settings.

Games I've come across that don't work so far are Mortal Kombat (freezes) Corpse Killer (freezes) and Spider Man Vs Kingpin (has very jerky motion).

Contrary to popular belief (on psp-hacks) a lot of people said fmv games don't run well... but I've tried Night Trap, Ground Zero Texas, Double Switch, and Mad Dog McCree II and all ran beautifully. It's amazing seeing these games run on the psp. I'm loving this thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Juganawt
    PSN
    Juganawt

If you guys want, I think we should start a list in this thread of games we tried that didn't work well or at all on default settings, and what settings you used to get them to run... or games that you've come across that don't work.

Yeah I'm up for that. I have a complete US & PAL set, and I'm only missing a few japanese games, so I'll be happy to share what I've tested so far.

Here's some I've tested:

Adventures of Willy Beamish (U) - Turn on Accurate renderer and better sync. Slightly slow framerate but on a game like this it's perfectly playable. Don't compress the iso if you value your sanity.

Adventures of Batman & Robin - Works, but is slow. Turn on accurate render and rotation effects for it to run. Do not compress.

Afterburner III (J, E, U) - Works fine if you turn on accurate render. OK to compress.

AH3 Thunderstrike - Works fine if you turn on Accurate renderer and rotation effects. Do not compress, as decompression is painstakingly long.

Amazing Spiderman Vs Kingpin (E & U) - European version runs fine, US Version runs a little slow. don't compress

Battlecorps - Works if you turn on Accurate Renderer and rotation effects. Don't compress.

Battle Frenzy (U) - Works, but is a little slow. turn accurate render, and rotation FX. ISO compression is fine.

BC Racers (E & U) - Works, but is slow. You need rotation FX on or else you get a garbled play screen.

Bloodshot (E) - See Battle Frenzy.

Bouncers (U) - Works Fine. Compression OK

Bug Blasters (U) - Hilariously awful game. No wonder why it was never officially released, but it works if you turn on accurate render.

Burning Fists Force Striker (U) - Works fine. Don't forget to enable 6 button support and configure the controls, or you're stuck with only kicks and blocking. Turn on accurate render or the shadows are messed up.

Corpse Killer (E & U) - Weird one this. Works fine, with a little mixing around of the controls. Set player 1 to control Up, Down, Left, and Right, and Player 2 to control A B C and Start. Then the game works fine at full speed.

Dark Wizard (U) - Works fine.

Dune (U) - works fine, but is slow on the ornithopter sections. Luckily you can skip them. Decompression is painstakingly slow, use uncompressed ISO.

Dungeon Explorer (U) - Works fine. OK to compress.

Dungeon Master 2: Skullkeep (U) - Works perfect, can be compressed as decompression is painless

Eternal Champions (E & U) - Both run fine.

FIFA International Soccer (E) - Works fine. Turn on Better Sync and accurate render or the game crashes at the FMV intro.

F.H.B. Funky Horror Band (J) - Works fine.

Final Fight CD (E & U) - Both run perfect. Compressed is fairly painless, though I'd advise against it.

Flashback (E & U) - Video runs slow, but the game itself runs fine.

Heart of the Alien (U) - Both games run perfect. Compressed is OK

Heimdall (U) - Works fine if you turn on accurate render, and better sync at around 45 - 50 fps. Compressed ISOs are fine.

Jaguar XJ220 (E, U, J) - The game runs if you turn on rotation effects, but for some reason save data isn't retained.

Keio Flying Squadron (E & U) - Works fine, slight slowdown on US version, so use the PAL Iso. Can be compressed.

Lunar Silver Star Story (U) - Works fine, Turn on accurate render and Better Sync. Don't compress

Lunar Eternal Blue (U) - Works fine, Turn on accurate render and Better Sync. Don't Compress.

Mighty Mighty Missile (U) - Works Fine. Can't believe how much of an accurate rendition of Chu Chu Rocket it is. Wonderful!

Mortal Kombat CD (E & U) - Works fine. Turn on accurate render and better sync or else it'll crash on the intro FMV. FMV is choppy. You can turn better sync off again once on the main menu and set frameskip to 1 for full speed gameplay. Don't compress the iso.

Night Trap (E & U) - Works fine. Turn on accurate render and better sync.

NHL '94 (E & U) - Works fine. Turn on Better Sync and accurate render, then reset the game, or it won't get past the Sega logo. FMV is choppy, but the game runs well. For some reason the USA iso is picked up as a PAL version, so only runs at 50fps.

RDF Global Conflict (U) - Works if you turn on accurate render and rotation effects.

Rise of the Dragon (U) - Works fine

Road Rash CD (U) - Works fine at almost full speed. use accurate renderer, and better sync to get it to load properly - DO NOT COMPRESS. TAKES 20 minutes to load the main menu in compressed format!

Secret of Monkey Island (U, J) - Works fine if you turn on Better Sync. Best not to compress this one.

Sewer Shark (E & U) - Works fine, turn on accurate render and better sync. don't compress

Shadow of the Beast 2 ( E & U) - Works fine, turn on accurate render. Compression is OK.

Shadowrun (J) - Works fine, turn on Better Sync.

Shining Force CD (E & U) - Works fine.

Silky Lip Magical Princess (J) - Works fine.

SNATCHER (E & U) - Ohhhh yes. Works a frickin beauty. Turn on better sync and have a wail of a time...just don't compress the Iso.

Sonic CD - Works fine. Turn on Rotation effects for the bonus levels (which run a little slow).

Soulstar (E & U) works fine if you turn on rotation FX, but is slightly slow.

Space Adventure Cobra (U) - Works fine. Decompresses at annoying intervals, so use uncompressed ISO.

Starblade (E & U) - Works perfect and full speed. Use Accurate render or else you get a black screen ingame. Don't compress.

Star Strike (U) - Marginally better game than Bug Blasters, but still a heap of shit. Runs fine if you turn on accurate render...not that you'll ever want to play it.

Syndicate (beta) - Runs fine. Compressed iso is OK.

Terminator (U) - Works (almost) fine. To run at nearly fullspeed, set frameskip to 1 and use fast renderer. Sound is a little choppy, but the game then runs at around 54 fps.

Theme Park (E & U) - Works fine.

Thunderhawk (E) - See AH3 Thunderstrike

Third World War (U) - Works perfect (amazing game too). Works just fine compressed.

Time Cop (Beta) - Works, but is a crap game so I don't advise playing it. EVER.

Time Gal (U) - Works fine. turn on Better Sync and Accurate Rendering, then reset the game to load it properly. If you don't, it freezes after the Sega logo. As it's an FMV, CSO compression is a no-no.

Wing Commander (U) - Works fine if you turn on Accurate renderer, Better Sync and rotation effects. Has some slowdown issues in asteroid / minefields, but is perfectly playable. Don't compress if you don't have hours to waste while it loads.

Wolfchild (E & U) - Works fine. Compressed is perfect.
    Last edited by Juganawt; 11-29-2007 at 05:43 PM. Reason: added Mighty Mighty Missile and Burning Fists

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the breakdown, Juganawt... man, I need to get my PSP modded!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

Awesome work and list Jug. Thanks a lot!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Alright...I'm going to give this a shot. Playing Snatcher, Vay, Lunar, Final Fight CD and Shining Force on PSP is a dream come true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Juganawt
    PSN
    Juganawt

I'll keep filling up my post as I go along I think.

I'll add to it as and when I play more games. if anyone else could add theirs into my post as well, that'd be groovy.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by Juganawt View Post
    All they need to do is get SVP support (never gonna happen), or 32X support (much more likely) so I can get my Virtua Racing fix on the go!
    I wouldn't hold my breath on 32X emulation. I'd say there's a better chance of someone making a homebrew Virtua Racing clone before a 32X emulator shows up.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Juganawt
    PSN
    Juganawt

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breath on 32X emulation. I'd say there's a better chance of someone making a homebrew Virtua Racing clone before a 32X emulator shows up.

--Zero
    Gens (the emulator that the Sega CD part of Picodrive is based on) can run 32x games, so if a little extra work was put into the Picodrive emu, we could quite easily see 32x games running on the PSP.

How quick they run would be a different matter altogether.

I estimate that with a certain amount frameskipping (2 or 3 frames out of 10) and overclocking the PSP to 333mhz, we could get the majority of 32X games running at playable speeds.

I know it'd run better than the saturn and N64 emus ever could, but emulators were released for those systems, so chances are we'll see a 32x emu somewhere down the line.
    Last edited by Juganawt; 11-24-2007 at 03:56 PM.