Thread: I built a Robocop replica mame arcade

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I built a Robocop replica mame arcade

Hi. This is my robocade I made a few years ago. When I first decided to build a mame cab I decided to try to make it look like a classic arcade game rather than a mame machine. The first game that came to mind was pacman but when I saw the price of the artwork I scrapped that idea. The next plan was to build a frogger replica. So I began to draw up the plans. A few weeks later I was surfing the net for the best prices on the artwork when I came across classicarcadegrafix.com they have one hell of a collection of art. I came across the Robocop art and I knew at that moment that my machine was destined to be a Robocop replica. (This was what I wanted to do when I originally decided to do this 6 months ago but at that time I couldn't get my hands on the artwork) Construction took almost 2 months because I didn't have allot of time to devote to it. The cab is made of mdf. The control panel has a magstick plus, I pac and happ buttons. The speakers are from Wal-Mart they were only $15.00 and sound great. The coin door is a fake one from haps.com All things considered I would say this machine turned out pretty damn good (I have almost zero wood working and painting skills) I would say they hardest part of this project was the. Painting. I heard so many people saying to paint mdf with oil-based paint and just as many saying to paint with latex paint. I finally decided on latex. I gave it 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint. I used a smooth finish roller and I sanded between each coat, the end result was a nice smooth surface. Now that the cash is spent and all is said and done. I am thrilled with the outcome. Would I do it again? Not unless someone offered me a $h1t load of money or something happens to this one. I have included pics there not great for some reason the marquee looks faded and yellow but its not.

Last edited by rlemmon; 11-19-2007 at 08:58 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn that's nice! Especially considering it's your first. Good job!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Dead or Alive your coming with me" I always dug that quote from the movie. Dude, that is one bad ass arcade machine, major props for taking the time to put it together. I'm very impressed. I look forward to your future arcade machines, should you choose to do another. Have a good one.

Digitpress Jim
    I love ALL Video Games with all my heart and soul

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I'd buy THAT for a dollar!!!

(also awesome job!)
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Now THAT'S a terrific looking MAME cabinet! I have two Robocop cabinets and yours looks better than both of them.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I love the recessed foot area - was that something you came up with in your design, or did you reference another style of cabinet when you decided on that?

What did you use for the marquee lighting situation? Is that a fluorescent setup in there? It seems to be much brighter/warmer looking.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies guys. Flack, Thats really cool that you have 2 robo cabs are you restoring one ? Before i came across mame i wanting to get a dedicated robo machine but I never found one in driving distance that was worth buying. I did see a dedicated robocop 2 cab that was in great shape but of course i was broke at the time.

Frankie. It was a florescent strip light form walmart. It started acting weird though. The light would roll from one end of the tube to the other. It looked like one of those plasma ball lamps. I replaced it and it was fine for awhile until that light started to smell like it was burning so i just pulled it out.

My cab does has one big problem. Neither to top or speaker panels are removable which makes screwing in a different kind or brand of light a real pain in the ass. As for the recessed foot area I threw that in to make it less boxy looking. I can't remember if i saw it somewhere else or not.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Looks real nice, I actually found this through image searching a couple days back for ideas on my own cabinet. What type of monitor/display do you have in there?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rlemmon View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Flack, Thats really cool that you have 2 robo cabs are you restoring one ? Before i came across mame i wanting to get a dedicated robo machine but I never found one in driving distance that was worth buying. I did see a dedicated robocop 2 cab that was in great shape but of course i was broke at the time.
    I got my first one in a bulk purchase. It works and plays fine but it's in an old Pac-Man cabinet (actually I think it was Rally-X, but the same style. Mine's blue w/orange t-molding). I was really wanting to get an original and I found one advertised as a dedicated one for $75, which I bought immediately. When I got there I discovered that it too was a conversion. Although it looks much nicer than the first, you can still tell it's not the right cabinet. So, like you, I'm still searching for an original cabinet to put my game into; until then, I'll have to live with the one(s) I have.

Here's the nicer of the two: http://robohara.com/arcade/collectio...file=robocop_2

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi guys I forgot to mention I put up a website on the construction of this cab. http://mysite.verizon.net/ronaldlemmon/

Bratwurst, It's a 19 inch dell crt. I was going to go with a crt arcade monitor untill I found out that windows looks terrible on them.

Flack, It seems the dedicated robos are hard to find anymore. There used to be ones on ebay at least once or twice a month but they never seem to show up anymore. What do you use fro side art ? I couln't make up my mind if I liked the data east or dedicated roboart more. I used the D.E. for awhile then used robo art. I Checked out your site thats a damn nice arcade you have going there ! If you need any robo or other artwork for your games mamemarquees.com has a ton. I just bought a new cpo for my robocade from them and its pretty nice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I currently have the Data East side art but I'd prefer the dedicated Robo art like you have. I'll have to check out the side and possibly order some new stickers.

Insert Coin (Level 0) hayabusa_fmw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wow this is awesome mate

I really love the robocop games & especially movies

I was gonna make a dedicated Cab myself but using The robocop 1 PCB .
    it's in my project list

thanks for showing us your good work!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Now that is what a MAME cab should be. Great work!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hayabusa_fmw View Post
    wow this is awesome mate

I really love the robocop games & especially movies

I was gonna make a dedicated Cab myself but using The robocop 1 PCB .
    it's in my project list

thanks for showing us your good work!
    Do you still have that MK3 board? I'd trade you for a working Robocop board ...

Insert Coin (Level 0) hayabusa_fmw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you still have that MK3 board? I'd trade you for a working Robocop board ...

I do .. Still have my MK I II III Boards
    Might sale them 1 by 1

i just bought a robocop PCB

''Thanks for the offer appreciate it! ''
    it's 100% working , but I might want to buy a spare one , so i keep you posted once i find a data east cab.

(people in my region tend to Take them to put silly mame signs and stickers all over and re-sale them for a quarter million of dollar)