Thread: Billy Hatcher & Giant Egg: Sega on Crack?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Billy Hatcher & Giant Egg: Sega on Crack?

What the hell is Sega up to? In case you didn't hear, Sega (more specifically, Sonic Team) is coming out with a new Gamecube platformer, called Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg.

Is it just me, or does the title suck?

Is it just me again, or is Sega on crack?

I love Nights, and hate bringing sequels back just for the hell of it, but for the love of god, stop this madness and give us Nights 2!

"Well...maybe it was for the best. Now I...I finally have time to do what I've always wanted: write the great American novel. Mine is about a futuristic amusement park where dinosaurs are brought to life through advanced cloning techniques. I call it "Billy and the Cloneasaurus."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While the title is admittedly ultra-kiddy, I otherwise don't see why this game's getting so much shit. Let's wait and see how it turns out before trashing it.

A 3D platformer by Sonic Team... as if that's not promising!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Quote Originally Posted by BenT
    While the title is admittedly ultra-kiddy, I otherwise don't see why this game's getting so much shit. Let's wait and see how it turns out before trashing it.
    Yeah, exactly.....kinda like I waited for Zelda but IMO it was NOT great. Who knows? This could be a total sleeper hit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't know what people's problem is. It looks unique and that's really all we know. A lot of Sega's weirder stuff turns out DAMNED cool. I'm just happy they still make games....I'll be withholding my verdict till more info is available.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords
    Don't know what people's problem is. It looks unique and that's really all we know. A lot of Sega's weirder stuff turns out DAMNED cool. I'm just happy they still make games....I'll be withholding my verdict till more info is available.
    Daaamn right. I think this game could be great. The picture certainly looks cool. Who cares if it looks "kiddyish?" This isn't Tolstoy, ya know.

The great thing about Sonic Team is their habit of always veering in crazy new directions. In an age of endless sequels, they're a real standout. Let's wait and see what they show us.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aaarrrgh!! what is it with labelling things "kiddy"?, it's a videogame not a fasion accessory, above all they're meant to be fun, not a freakin' symbol maturity and god knows given the recent outpouring of so-called "mature" titles into the market "mature" definately does not = fun x_x

[/rant]

Anyway, all credit to Sega for taking a swing at originality, it worked with super monkey ball and for all we know it might just work again so surely they deserve a little more faith. Could be good, could be bad, but at this point I've only seen enough to say it certainly looks interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NvrMore
    "mature" definately does not = fun x_x
    Exactly. In fact, often times, "mature" games make for pretentious overbearing crap with bad writing cause it's overwritten for 12 year olds that want to grow up, not for actual adults.

Oh, and Sonic Team didn't make Super Monkey Ball AFIK, it was AV (and I think maybe Smilebit too). Sonic Team was too busy with yet ANOTHER PSO. PSO was the worst thing that EVER happened to them. *sigh*
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I to feel the need to protest the "it looks kiddy, sega is going stupid, lets bitch" mentality.

I don't care how it looks or what its about. If I have to save Slippy the Magical Toad fromt the Evil Possum King, then fine, as long as I have a lot of fun doing it.

Like the Zelda thing. "A boat, how gay" or "He's a little kid, that so stupid, Nintendo went soft". Who cares, Zelda was good, and everything that comes out of Sonic team is good to. So why condem it whe there is only a handful of screen shots and a name?
    I am in fact the guy that made the Raisins prototype worth thousands less by dumping it. "D'oh!!"

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brandver3
    I to feel the need to protest the "it looks kiddy, sega is going stupid, lets bitch" mentality.
    First of all, what I was originally protesting was the name. I find it lacks originality and is way too long.

The game looks, well, interesting and original, but not exactly exciting. I think that it is interesting that this is coming to the Gamecube, as opposed to the PS2 or XBox (younger market?). Whether that market appeals to you or not, that's for you to decide.

Sega is looking for a hit, let's face it. Financially, their biggest recent hit is a soccer game (Let's make a Pro Soccer Team) that hasn't even made it to the North American market. Why they are making Sonic Team work on a game solely for the Gamecube is beyond me. If Sega is looking for a hit... Nights 2 would fit the bill just fine (which was kiddy, yes, but great).

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Supposedly, Nintendo is gonna be giving away playable GC demo discs soon, and Billy Hatcher is gonna be on it along with Sonic Adventure DX. I love Sega, but I will reserve my opinion until I try the game...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Billy Hatcher & Giant Egg: Sega on Crack?

Quote Originally Posted by IntvGene

What the hell is Sega up to? In case you didn't hear, Sega (more specifically, Sonic Team) is coming out with a new Gamecube platformer, called Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg.

Is it just me, or does the title suck?
    It's just you.

Is it just me again, or is Sega on crack?
    Are you saying that you're on crack?

The game looks, well, interesting and original, but not exactly exciting. I think that it is interesting that this is coming to the Gamecube, as opposed to the PS2 or XBox (younger market?). Whether that market appeals to you or not, that's for you to decide.
    How could it look exciting in a screenshot? Kaboom is exciting, but you'd never guess that from looking at a screenshot if you'd never played the game.

Sega makes a lot of supercool, offbeat games. They're less afraid (than other companies) to take risks with strange games too. I like that, and I'll continue to support it.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aaarrrgh!! what is it with labelling things "kiddy"?, it's a videogame not a fasion accessory, above all they're meant to be fun, not a freakin' symbol maturity and god knows given the recent outpouring of so-called "mature" titles into the market "mature" definately does not = fun.
    Total agreement here. Three cheers for NvrMore!
    THE ODYSSEY
    http://www.odysseyzine.com
    For those who turn up the stereo when they turn on their games

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seems to be that the games with the most crack-headed ideas tend to turn out as the best. (Kingdom Hearts, anyone? How about some Harvest Moon?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aaarrrgh!! what is it with labelling things "kiddy"?, it's a videogame not a fasion accessory, above all they're meant to be fun, not a freakin' symbol maturity and god knows given the recent outpouring of so-called "mature" titles into the market "mature" definately does not = fun x_x
    It's just a descriptive label in this case. I didn't say it made the game seem bad. I said the title made it sound like the game was aimed at kids. Which it does. Nothing wrong with that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is as simple as this:

WAIT for the game to come out, play it, and then voice an opinion!

Remember when nobody knew about "Toejam and Earl" except for the title name and some screenshots?