Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Default Dreamcast Import Question...

Besides modding a dreamcast and flat out buying a japanese or pal system, is their anyway to play imports on this beauty of a machine i lovingly refer to as dweamcashhhch?? (not really, but im just that bored)

any boot disc i should be made aware of? oh and please no one suggest swapping out disc, shenmue 2 isnt worth damaging my dreamcast motor for...yes the fuck it is im lying, but i still dont wanna do it, any help???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Juganawt
    PSN
    Juganawt

There are boot discs yes, There's one called CDX from Datel which allows you to run imports... and if your Dreamcast is CD-R compliant you can download and use the Utopia Boot Disc to run a fair selection of imported games.

I'd advise against using a boot disc, as compatibility isn't fantastic. Mod chips are dead cheap, and are so simple to install. my Japanese launch DC was the first console I ever modified myself, and I managed it first time in about 10 minutes (5 of which were finding all the screws to get to the board, and figuring out how to situate my solder iron to get to the points through the cooling system). They usually consist of only 4 wires, and are to be placed on fairly big solder points.

I'd say go the mod chip route.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by Juganawt View Post
    There are boot discs yes, There's one called CDX from Datel which allows you to run imports... and if your Dreamcast is CD-R compliant you can download and use the Utopia Boot Disc to run a fair selection of imported games.

I'd advise against using a boot disc, as compatibility isn't fantastic. Mod chips are dead cheap, and are so simple to install. my Japanese launch DC was the first console I ever modified myself, and I managed it first time in about 10 minutes (5 of which were finding all the screws to get to the board, and figuring out how to situate my solder iron to get to the points through the cooling system). They usually consist of only 4 wires, and are to be placed on fairly big solder points.

I'd say go the mod chip route.
    yea but i don't have a soldering gun and havent soldered anything since 12th grade =(
    realistically only games i wanna play are shenmue 2 and ikuraga if i can find a copy
    is it still worth the modchip or will a bootdisc cover both???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Juganawt
    PSN
    Juganawt

Quote Originally Posted by EX-Soldier View Post
    yea but i don't have a soldering gun and havent soldered anything since 12th grade =(
    realistically only games i wanna play are shenmue 2 and ikuraga if i can find a copy
    is it still worth the modchip or will a bootdisc cover both???
    A boot disc should cover both games, although you might have an issue with Shenmue II (I assume it's the PAL version you want to play)

For some reason a lot of PAL games have borders, and for an even stranger reason, on USA and Japanese dreamcasts, the borders show up in the wrong places (ie both borders at the top, forcing the picture down)

You can fix this by doing a Y fix on the bottom of the DC's mainboard. it's a dead simple single wire job, but again, it'll require a soldering iron.

The games you want to run will work on boot disc though, just shenmue might not look as good as originally intended.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just use the Gameshark Cheats and Codes Vol. 1 disc. Just boot up the disc and when it says "Start Game," swap out Cheats and Codes and put in the import game of your choice. I believe I paid a penny for Cheats and Codes back in the day.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by josekortez View Post
    I just use the Gameshark Cheats and Codes Vol. 1 disc. Just boot up the disc and when it says "Start Game," swap out Cheats and Codes and put in the import game of your choice. I believe I paid a penny for Cheats and Codes back in the day.
    will it work 4 da games i mentioned???

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't own a European PAL copy of Shenmue II, but I do own European PAL copies of Virtua Fighter 3, Quake III and Rez, and I've never had a problem with getting any of them to start. All my Japanese imports have worked with it, too.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never had any problems loading any imports. I use a demo of an Action Replay that was on a coverdisc but in the day but have also tried the Utopia boot disc which you can download and burn yourself. Any cheat disc like Action Replay / Gameshark etc should do the job