Thread: Kane & Lynch: Dead Men

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    monkeysuit89

Default Kane & Lynch: Dead Men

This game is being advertised like crazy lately but I haven't really heard any praises yet? Wasn't this supposed to be a system seller?

So those of you who picked it up, what are your impressions?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

this game started getting some hype around the same time as we first saw info on "army of two" as it shares many of the same gameplay properties. i hear this game, however, is terrible.

it hasnt gotten a single good review (well good to the point where you should go and spend 60$ on it)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whats weird is that the are making a movie about this game and that was decided before the game even came out.

Strawberry (Level 2) The Great Dane's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It didn't ever catch my attention, to be honest. I'm actually quite annoyed that sites like ign.com have given it SO MUCH advertisment. Instead of get me more interested in the game, it has actually driven me away from it because of having it shoved in my face everywhere I go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    monkeysuit89

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu3324 View Post
    Whats weird is that the are making a movie about this game and that was decided before the game even came out.
    Wow, if I had known this I almost could have called it being as bad as it sounds.

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a bit of a mixed bag really. The story is a little schlock (typical bad guy/hesit stuff) with a some cool narrative twists thrown in. The game's REALLY well acted, and the writing's not bad (relies a little too heavily on four letter words to sound "mature"). The cutscenes usually don't leap out at you either, usually story and gameplay work pretty seamlessly together and itll be enough to keep you playing.

Missions go from interesting and fun to just irritating really frequently, though its never boring and the action is so dense that it actually gets a little exhausting at times. The squad based tactics don't really work, but I never found you needed to use them much (the AI will pretty much do its thing on its own). Aiming is terribly effed up and you'll pull off what looks like a perfect head shot only to have it miss completely. Also, the enemies take way too long to finally drop, it's like your fighting an army of Robocops.

The game isn't absurdly difficult though you'll die some really weird deaths (like one of your AI partners running you down with a car because you slightly touched the side while it was in motion).

I dunno really. I think if you're a fan of heist flicks and Tarantino esque dialogue (more for the swearing not the cleverness) and like lots of gunfire you might find something in this. I'd give it a rent first though.

Obligatory numeric score: 6/10
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrider31 View Post
    It's a bit of a mixed bag really. The story is a little schlock (typical bad guy/hesit stuff) with a some cool narrative twists thrown in. The game's REALLY well acted, and the writing's not bad (relies a little too heavily on four letter words to sound "mature").

I dunno really. I think if you're a fan of heist flicks and Tarantino esque dialogue (more for the swearing not the cleverness) and like lots of gunfire you might find something in this. I'd give it a rent first though.
    So the cutscenes are good (by VG standards) but the gameplay is awful? I'll just rent a movie, thanks.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They have been spending alot of money advertising.

I stumbled across this little internet gossip. I is saying that Jeff Gerstmann was fired for his bad reviw of Kayne and Lynch. I think or hope there has to be more to the story like he Plagiarized,stole or something. I truly would hate to think this is true.

Now I know people rag gamespot but I happen to like this guy. He did alot of spots on g4tv he was in alot of video review segments and his reviews for the most part was alright by me. I think he was gamespot for many years.

This should and probably will get interesting.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/games...iew-328244.php

The comic that started the rumor.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showt...82#post3689682

Here is his steel battallion review.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ_ivkMDGB4
    Last edited by gepeto; 11-29-2007 at 09:46 PM.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    monkeysuit89

Thanks for the impressions Wolfrider. Looks like I'll just be waiting for Army of Two to fulfill my needs for a two-man shooter.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    monkeysuit89

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Fucked. Up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    So the cutscenes are good (by VG standards) but the gameplay is awful? I'll just rent a movie, thanks.
    I didn't think the gameplay was awful, just "alright". Then again, you have to keep in mind that it takes alot for me to say gameplay is great. I thought Assassin's Creed really failed in that department too, but I still thought it was a solid game.

I'd really recommend renting it to try out. I can see some people loving it, and some hating it. I'd buy it if I had the extra cash and nothing else was really vying for my dollar.

And yeah, that Gamespot reviewer story is pretty troubling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

sucks that the guy was fired over a bad review. Will reviewers be afraid to call a turd a turd now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you know what, if you have a job, you check your freedom at the door. fucking with your employer never ends well.

this is also another case of how stupid the 100 rating system really is. its totally subjective, therefore there is little basis for the claim of 'journalistic integrity'. he couldve written the exact same review and nudged the score to a 7 or higher, and nobody wouldve known the difference. there is no concrete, written arrangement for how rating scores are earned, so editors are free to pull whatever number they want out of their ass and assign them.

getting fired sucks, but the lesson here is never fuck with the man, they will always win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post
    you know what, if you have a job, you check your freedom at the door. fucking with your employer never ends well.
    Clearly standards of employment don't exist where you live. No, you don't check your freedom at the door. People like you make me physically ill. You don't deserve a job. I grew up in a town that was literally owned by a mining corporation. All houses where the property not of the people who lived in it, but the company, and if you fucked with the company you lost your house. And you know what? People did fuck with the company. My grandfather (along with many others) was shot at by RMCP officers for DARING to demand things like fair wages and safety equipment and sick time. And demanding that the twelve year olds who often worked there needed to have special protection and couldn't be expected to last under the same conditions older men were dealing with.

Fuck you you pansy.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post

this is also another case of how stupid the 100 rating system really is. its totally subjective, therefore there is little basis for the claim of 'journalistic integrity'. he couldve written the exact same review and nudged the score to a 7 or higher, and nobody wouldve known the difference. there is no concrete, written arrangement for how rating scores are earned, so editors are free to pull whatever number they want out of their ass and assign them.

getting fired sucks, but the lesson here is never fuck with the man, they will always win.
    To be perfectly realistic, you're right. You don't fuck with your employer, your employers partners, and if you fuck with your employers customers...you're out the door.
    This is different though. We're talking about journalism. A journalist MUST have the right to express their beliefs or the entire thing is pointless. Anybody can write. Having the ability to express your individual opinion in a coherent and persuasive manner is what makes a writer. If these guys can't be honest then you're Eidos' bitch. "You will know what Eidos wants you to know!"
    We aren't talking about Dell going on the record to say Vista is garbage. We're talking about a journalist reviewing a product. If Eidos threatened to pull their plugs, I don't know what GS should have done but they should have done something that preserved the integrity of their product. They sacrificed their reputation for one customer. Fucking stupid.

EDIT: Had to fix a couple typo's.
    Last edited by DeputyMoniker; 11-30-2007 at 09:23 AM.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    So the cutscenes are good but the gameplay is awful? I'll just rent a movie, thanks.
    But that technique worked so well for Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid 2.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 11-30-2007 at 09:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Clearly standards of employment don't exist where you live. No, you don't check your freedom at the door. People like you make me physically ill. You don't deserve a job. I grew up in a town that was literally owned by a mining corporation. All houses where the property not of the people who lived in it, but the company, and if you fucked with the company you lost your house. And you know what? People did fuck with the company. My grandfather (along with many others) was shot at by RMCP officers for DARING to demand things like fair wages and safety equipment and sick time. And demanding that the twelve year olds who often worked there needed to have special protection and couldn't be expected to last under the same conditions older men were dealing with.

Fuck you you pansy.
    We're all real impressed, internet tough guy. Keep in mind this is a video game forum.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    This topic deserves its own thread. Unbelievable.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Fuck you you pansy.
    Enough, We don't need that kind of name calling in here.

This wasn't a thread on workers rights (which I think we could all agree on in todays time) but on peoples thoughts of Kaine & Lynch. What possibly happened to the gamespot writer is shocking if its true, but he fell on the wrong side of a very fine line that these 'subjective' critics shouldn't have to worry about but do, because of the medium they work (internet website writing for a gaming site, whos salaries are paid by game developer/publisher dollars). These net companies have to cater to their advertisers (who keep them going) but still try and speak the truth. Eidos is known for being very online active so i'm sure they wern't happy with the reviews

Workers rights of the early 20th century were often VERY arduous for the factory and hard labor workers, getting screwed over by the machine but to compare them to what this guy just had happen is a bit of a stretch.

Back on topic.

The original hype machine had me hoping for the game, but the reviews arn't making me want it. My guess is that it'll be 30 bucks soon. Then I might want it.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog