Thread: Anyone got a spare SNES PPU?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone got a spare SNES PPU?

Well, I don't know where to start, so I'll just tell you the story from the beginning.

It all started with my modded SNES giving me glitchy graphics (some of you might have read about it here http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3029.0)

I was told that I could try to remove the mod to see if that would change anything.
    To remove the mod I had to search for a spot where it was +5v, because I had to solder a wire to that spot later.
    But since my modded machine had lots of wires in it I thought it would be easier to use the multimeter on my other machine which weren't modded.

I powered up the SNES, put the black pole from the multimeter to GND and the red one around #81 on U2. It was then I heard this clicking sound and the red LED was dead - The fuse?

Some days passed and I got hold of a 1,5a fuse, which I replaced the dead one with.
    The LED did come on, but my problems was far from over.

When I tested it, I got no sound, and no picture, just black. Although you can see that the TV screen kind of reacts when you turn the power on.... I almost cried.

So... since it's not the fuse, something else must've been damaged I guess. But since I had the multimeter around U2 when it happened, it could be that? Or?...

Do you have any idea of what I could do? I'll do anything to make it work. If you have a dead SNES with working PPU's, can I have them, or buy them cheap?

Please help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your easier, cheaper, and less time consuming option would be snagging a good mainboard from a yellowed cracked up SNES.

Getting a PPU means getting someone to desolder it for you (labour). getting one from a bad board means you would be installing an unknown functionality PPU, since it came from a 'bad' board. Therefore it could have a bad PPU.

If this systems was at OSG, it would be time for a replacement mainboard.

(sorry, I haven't any boards I can sell, just free advice)
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you want an cheap SNES console, let me know.
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your easier, cheaper, and less time consuming option would be snagging a good mainboard from a yellowed cracked up SNES
    I don't mind it being time consuming, I like electronics and I want to learn more... It doesn't have to be expensive though if you can find new cheap parts and get it to work.. but of course you will not know until it's too late...

Getting a PPU means getting someone to desolder it for you (labour). getting one from a bad board means you would be installing an unknown functionality PPU, since it came from a 'bad' board. Therefore it could have a bad PPU.
    Yeah I guess so... Is there some way you could check the chip's functionallity? You can remove/attach it with a soldering iron right?
    As long as you don't bridge the connectors it should work right?

What is OSG?

(sorry, I haven't any boards I can sell, just free advice)
    It's okay, I'm very thankful for that too!

If you want an cheap SNES console, let me know.
    Mkay, what's wrong with it? What region and version? How much?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the definition of OSG, see my sig, or simply Google "video game repair"

=)
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the definition of OSG, see my sig, or simply Google "video game repair"
    Wow cool site That must be a fun job!

Well, if I had any replacements maybe that would be an option :/
    It's so ironic though, this all happened just after I bought a bunch of games on Ebay... didn't even get to play them... talk about bad luck (+ - +)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In my experience, ugly yellowed ones are not too hard to find. Pawn shops, video game store back rooms. Just say you want an ugly one.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In my experience, ugly yellowed ones are not too hard to find. Pawn shops, video game store back rooms. Just say you want an ugly one.
    Yeah, I'll ask around... it's just that there are not any stores that actually sells the SNES anymore, and here in Sweden there are not that many stores that sell used videogames either :(
    You can find them on internet auction sites, but they are often quite pricey I think, plus the postage is crazy high too.
    It's almost cheaper or at least equally expensive to import a japanese or US console for me...

I don't know if we have any of those pawn shops here in Sweden, but when you say video game store, are you talking about a store that sells new games? Like xbox360 and PS3? Or a store that only sells used games?

If anyone have a cheap SNES that you want to sell, or know where I can find one, please tell me. (I can't buy it right now though, I have to wait a week or so for my paycheck to arrive (;_;)

Also, if I can't repair the SNES I have now, what should I do with it?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unless your planing to do a full overhaul of the entire system I would rather not bother. The SNES while alive is quite dead to most people and personally I would love to make games for it and all and making attempts to do so but hey the system is not going to be making a comeback anytime soon thanks to nay sayers.

Just get a brand new one...peace

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just get a brand new one...peace
    Yeah I will. I think I've found one now.

So what do you think I should do with them. Now I've got one dead and one with messed up graphics... aaah X( Maybe I could throw the guts and do some cool paintjob on the shell? I am an artist after all ('-') What would be a cool thing to do with a SNES shell? Post your ideas and I might do it hehe...