Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bring Back the Dreamcast!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where did he get that 323 number? I count 279 *including* print variations.

Anyway, the Dreamcast is by far my favorite system. Say what you might about the lacking library, but there were a number of solid gems not available on any other console (domestically, anyway) Gundam Side Stories FTW.

That being said, Sega is done. If they were to release new hardware, it would be as niche, and probably more so, as the Neo-Geo. Failure would quickly follow.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    sweater fish, out of all the games you list, which are US, DC exclusives? like 9?
    I don't know and I don't really care. I'm not even following your reasoning with this question. Exclusive? Why would that matter? A good game is a good game. Just because it's available on another console as well, doesn't mean it suddenly becomes worthless. U.S. releases? We live in a global community. Games from Japan, Europe and North America are all equally available to me and I take advantage of that fact with all of my systems.

and out of those, can you honestly tell me, that it was worth buying a sega dreamcast for, and paying full retail for these?
    Yes. Absolutely. Without hesitation.

you see, once a systems dies, is abandoned by its publisher, in fact makes its publisher get out of the business entirely (almost bankrupting them)... that system is... well... a failure. nevertheless, since it is now dirt cheap, and even the expensive games are a fraction of their former retail price (of course not all), suddently, one sees benefit to such a console. also if they are they type that will go down with a sinking ship proclaiming its the best ship they ever sailed on.
    Every system we talk about on these forums is dead and abandoned by its publisher and yet everyone here loves at least one of them, so I guess I'm just not following your reasoning on this point either.

...word is bondage...

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

People who beat down dead systems are either misinformed (this is most common in your Virtual Boy, 3DO or Jaguar beater) or jealous collectors missing important titles (Saturn and Dreamcast).

Don't feed people like this. There is no reason to post in a "Bring back [insert favorite dead system here]" if you DISlike the system, think about it. Then read my explanations on the previous line.

FWIW I have a complete Dreamcast collection and I still love the system, as do many many people who visit the store. It may be gone but to true fans it will never be forgotten.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sweater Fish…

I think what Poofta trying to get across is that failure of the DC and that effect on many of the original DC fans.

I put personal ownership on it by relating to the N64…as a Nintendo fan I was completely let down by that system after launch. Was it really all that bad? Not really, I just view it that way…like a cheating wife or something. Mostly unfounded but it’s the way I feel. That feeling used to reflect in ANYTHING I posted about the N64...finally I decided to let it go and leave it be.

I think what he’s trying to get across is the failure aspect of the DC…which it was…miserable. It was fully supported by Sega less than 2 years (9/99 to 1/01)…that pretty much means that it was a complete failure (really sad but true). To the fans it was an is a great little system but to many others...a complete failure. Some are really sour about this because they were such huge Sega fans.

Possibly he’s jaded?...
    Last edited by smokehouse; 12-05-2007 at 06:11 PM.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

I was just trying to make the point to voice your opinion in a different way. He seems hell bent on making all of us angry at him for some reason...

heh.

By they way. Thank you Digital Press.. I swear one day I'm going to drive out to your store!

it's on my To Do List.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

Yes it failed, but I love it anyway.

Don't feed the troll.
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The DC is an excellent console for arcade games. If you're wanting to play 3D platformers and the such, you're better off with a PS2 or whatever. But if arcade gaming is your thing then the DC is a great machine. That's not to say the DC hasn't got anything to offer other than arcade style games, but it isn't the greatest selection and most have appeared on other machines; Fur Fighters for instance.

The DC has excellent conversions of Naomi shooters and fighting games which are generally superior to the versions that have appeared on other consoles. And the DC games that do have a better version available on another system (3rd Strike for instance) are still perfectly playable on the DC and absolutely excellent unless you're really picky. It's not exactly hard to burn a Boot CD or do the region switch mod to get some import Under Defeat action on the go either.

I'll agree that the DC pad isn't the best controller in the world, but the Sega Arcade Stick is excellent. If you're serious about shooters and fighting games you really should have one of these. The official Sega gun is another great peripheral; pity its only real use is HotD2. The fishing controller is excellent for Bass and Marine Fishing and the Twin Sticks are quality and really needed for VO:OT. I never had the official steering wheel but the MadCatz one, which I really liked. So at least all the Arcade conversion were supported by the appropriate peripherals.

The Dreamcast/Naomi did get an arcade-only successor: the Naomi 2. If you look at the spec of the Naomi2 it's a cracking bit of kit. Admittedly there's few games for the system and the last few Naomi games to be released are on Naomi1 cart. But imagine if Sega had been in a position to release a home version of Naomi2.....

But back on topic:

Personally, I think the system is perfectly viable today. The DC outputs an absolutely beautiful RGB signal and an excellent VGA signal so it can be used with LCD/Plasma tellys that have a VGA input. If the online support was available, and another production run of Broad Band/Network Adapters was made available than you'd have a excellent cheap online gaming machine. The DreamEye webcam and microphone peripherals already exist, and both would benefit from a BB adapter and an online chat service. It's also possible to interface a HDD with the DC which would benefit the online-side of the system and make downloadable Master System or Mega Drive games a possibility.

So here we have a pretty powerful console with VGA output, Broad Band online capabilities, a Web cam,microphone, keyboard and mouse and the possibility of a HDD for storage. Sounds pretty 'Next-Gen' to me. Viable today? I say Yes.
    Last edited by CosmicMonkey; 12-05-2007 at 06:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Well - there goes Pooftas credibility.

I've been gaming since 1979, and the Dreamcast is still the best console have ever owned. But I will say this - even if Sega put the DC back on the market, I probably wouldn't support it, and here's why....

Sega used to make games years ahead of their time. Nowadays, Sega makes one stupid mistake after another (no NiGHTS for US PS2's is a prime example).

Sega was a credible company when the US and Japanese branches were seperate entities, and the US branch had more influence than the Japanese branch. But once the Japanese took over the company, the have done nothing short of running the company in the ground.

Not to mention, the only good game designer left at Sega is Yu Suzuki. And it's like Sega shoved him in a closet, locked the door, and threw away the key - the last game I heard Suzuki-san was working on was Psy-Phi, about 3 years ago. It's like he dropped off the face of the earth. Aside from that, Sega is all but dead, any way you look at it.

Now - Time to play some Jet Set Radio.
    Last edited by diskoboy; 12-05-2007 at 06:57 PM.

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey View Post
    Personally, I think the system is perfectly viable today. The DC outputs an absolutely beautiful RGB signal and an excellent VGA signal so it can be used with LCD/Plasma tellys that have a VGA input. If the online support was available, and another production run of Broad Band/Network Adapters was made available than you'd have a excellent cheap online gaming machine. The DreamEye webcam and microphone peripherals already exist, and both would benefit from a BB adapter and an online chat service. It's also possible to interface a HDD with the DC which would benefit the online-side of the system and make downloadable Master System or Mega Drive games a possibility.

So here we have a pretty powerful console with VGA output, Broad Band online capabilities, a Web cam,microphone, keyboard and mouse and the possibility of a HDD for storage. Sounds pretty 'Next-Gen' to me. Viable today? I say Yes.
    Sounds like something for a company to do!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Sega_Naomi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it would happen it would be the greatest day in gaming history ^_^

I would love to see Sega Try it one more time in Console gaming system & act

more inteligent like Nintendo Did with the Wii & nintendo Ds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey View Post
    I was right there with you until the end...

The Wii is considered grossly underpowered considering the massive power of the 360 and PS3. It has a 729MHz proc and FAR superior graphic processing than the DC could ever hope to have. Basically, the now underpowered Wii would run circles around the DC..

For it's time the DC was way advanced in terms of features and approach (like I said earlier, I feel the approach the DC took was rather revolutionary and the Wii is really similar...some could say Nintendo either copied Sega or continued where they left off) but to say that a console designed in the late 90's would be competitive almost 10 years later (hardware speaking...I know the DC was released in late '99) is just over the top...

A rerelease of the DC would crash and burn immediately and get zero support from any of the top game designers.

Sad but true.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with you. As a machine, I do believe it's still a viable bit of kit, but the market would never support it. Which is a terrible shame.

However, what about if a 3rd party company was to come along and release a HDD device for the DC community. Something that looks very similar to the Karaoke/Zip unit but with built-in ethernet, HDD slot, VGA and Component output and maybe USB ports. It'd be interesting to see what the DC homebrew community could come up with using such a device.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    monkeysuit89

While I love the idea of Sega producing a new console, there's a lot of things holding me back from wanting them to. If Sega can't even put out a decent Sonic game these days, I'd really hate to see what they do with a new console.

We can dream though...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Ghsqb

The DC is the most underrated console ever IMHO.
    It deserved a better fate.
    It's funny, because my room o doom is downstairs, and when I gave my 5 year old son permission to take any 1 console upstairs to the living room for him to use, his choice was the Dreamcast.

Sega got it right with that one, the games were just really fun to play.

My buddies and I would spend hours playing Sega Marine Fishing just to get all the unlockables and trick out the aquarium...and because it was a damn fun game to play. And we don't even like fishing games.

I could go on and on about the great games on this system, but there's really no point, to 99% of the people in this thread, I'd be preaching to the choir.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You guys *got* a Dreamcast 2 and the sales of Sega software sucked.

Pop quiz:
    Q: What company secretly helped Microsoft develop the Xbox?
    A: Sega!

Q: Why do early Xbox prototypes have a connector for Sega's arcade system?
    A: Because Sega was helping MS develop the hardware!

Q: Who was the person who bridged the gap between Sega and MS?
    A: Peter More!

And the final, and most important question for this quiz:

Q: Why did the partnership between MS and Sega fail?
    A: Because sales figures for Sega's exclusives on the Xbox sucked.

It turns out, people wern't willing to drop $50 on Sega's games because they were used to getting them for free on the Dreamcast. Sega learned a valuable lesson from this whole debacle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YHaloThar

How were they getting them for free on the Dreamcast?
    Mankind ill needs a savior such as you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not sure why that blog post got so many diggs. It's not a news item, or an entertaining video. It's just a guy saying he likes his Dreamcast.

But the Dreamcast was a great system. It did have good games, and I was sorry when they pulled the plug on it early.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    It's pretty easy to burn a Dreamcast game on a CD-R, and most consoles will play them. Some don't even require a boot disc.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Start Googling the relationship between the DC and piracy.
    You're about to read a sad, sad story.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut