Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bring Back the Dreamcast!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes DC had a problem when it came to piracy, but piracy wasn't like it was 8 years ago like it is today. Torrents weren't around for one and file sharing software/websites weren't being shutdown on a daily basis by the MPAA and RIAA. If DC was released today I'm sure you wouldn't be able to play burned cames unless it had a mod chip (like you can do with every system anyhow) and if you do a simple trick on the PS2 you can play burned cames without using a mod chip.
    I am a collector of the classics (Atari, NES, SNES, Genesis, 3DO, Saturn, etc.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AcePuppy View Post
    Yes DC had a problem when it came to piracy, but piracy wasn't like it was 8 years ago like it is today.
    It wasn't? I remember in the late 1990s and early 2000s, many people who shopped at my video game store asked if we sold PlayStation mod chips, if we modded PlayStations, or if we knew where they could buy cheap copied games. I also remember people selling copied PlayStation games on CD-R at the arcade for $5 to $10 each. It was one of the reasons why many people were still buying old PlayStations in 2000:

Customer: "Hi, I'd like to buy a PlayStation."

Me: "Are you sure? We also have the Nintendo 64 and the Dreamcast in stock and they're the same price."

Customer: "I know, but my friend can copy PlayStation games for me for free."

Me: "But the graphics aren't as good, the loading times are much longer, you can't play four-player games unless you buy a separate adapter, and the console will probably stop working properly after a year."

Customer: "Who cares? Free games!"

It was nuts. I guess people's standards go way down when they get things for free.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 12-06-2007 at 11:13 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought "Dreamcast" was the weirdest name for a game console until the Wii came along, but it's still pretty strange.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse View Post
    I was right there with you until the end...

The Wii is considered grossly underpowered considering the massive power of the 360 and PS3. It has a 729MHz proc and FAR superior graphic processing than the DC could ever hope to have. Basically, the now underpowered Wii would run circles around the DC..
    The Wii may be "considered grossly underpowered" by some people, but that doesn't really seem to be affecting its popularity. Maybe the video game market has finally grown up and realized that there's more important things than power in a video game console. (But more likely not.)

For it's time the DC was way advanced in terms of features and approach (like I said earlier, I feel the approach the DC took was rather revolutionary and the Wii is really similar...some could say Nintendo either copied Sega or continued where they left off) but to say that a console designed in the late 90's would be competitive almost 10 years later (hardware speaking...I know the DC was released in late '99) is just over the top...
    You mean sort of over the top like a little system that came out in 1990 only to have its most fruitful period 10 years later when games like Metal Slug 3, Garou: Mark Of The Wolves, Last Blade 2 and the later KoF games were coming out?

Keep in mind that we're talking about a very different sort of console here, not something that would compete on a 1:1 basis with whatever Microsoft or Sony or even Nintendo are doing. Of course you're right that it's ridiculously unlikely to happen, but that's only because of misconceptions about what success entails like yours.

...word is bondage...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Something I haven't seen mentioned is the wealth of Japanese games available for Sega systems. Both the Saturn and the Dreamcast had huge libraries--and much more than sports games, I can tells ya

Of course, you have to learn Japanese to enjoy them. I bought the Saturn solely on the strength of the Utena RPG, and the Dreamcast for Napple Tale. But my Saturn collection now numbers several dozen games (including the classic, Tokimeki Memorial, and all of the Angelique games).

So it's easy to condemn Sega of America for their lackluster gaming choices, though obviously they secured a loyal following. But when you factor in the huge Japanese selection, then the Saturn and Dreamcast are awesome.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sega will never ever bring back the Dreamcast, so let's just put a stop to all these rumors and fanboy hopefuls and call it a day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by segagamer View Post
    Sega will never ever bring back the Dreamcast, so let's just put a stop to all these rumors and fanboy hopefuls and call it a day.
    Well, time to go home. Segagamer said so.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Perhaps they have seen an in with the Wii's newly opened markets? I'm sure many casuals that are buying up Wii stuff like mad have never heard of Dreamcast and it would be very cheap.

I'll admit I'm hoping against the odds (and the segagamer suggested ban) for a DC2 but, it would be so kick ass.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 12-07-2007 at 12:28 PM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know what I was thinking, Microsoft seems to be having such a hard time in Japan. Maybe they should buy a stake in Sega and re-release the 360 (albeit redesigned to look different and with better quality) as a Sega system in Japan. Or the next MS system after the 360. With Sega's name on it and all of their software going exclusively to the system I wonder if it would do better. Oh and bring back the VMU.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Except that Sega have an even worse reputation in Japan than they do in the U.S. If people think the Dreamcast failed in the U.S., they should take a look at how it did in Japan. It was the Japanese sales that killed the Dreamcast, not U.S. sales (and certainly not piracy, I might add).

Of course, Microsoft seem to have an even worse reputation in Japan than Sega, so maybe it would still be a good idea for them.

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    im not looking back at it fondly... i disliked the system then, and dislike it now. i bought it when it came out and it was a complete waste of money.

WHYYYY is everyone always saying how amazing and great it was and how its they fav blah blah blah. it had NOTHING that other systems didnt already have (or in ps2's case, got soon thereafter). the library sucked, how many freaking fighting games can one console have? it had good sports games for the time it lasted, but cmon, 2k moved rather quickly and wonderfully. the controller was by far the absolute worse POS ever (well ok, maybe jaguar beats that out, but dc comes close). sega games have sucked since 16bit ended, the speed at which the saturn died in the US shouldve hinted at how well the dc would do. bad corporate management. bad 3rd party support. bad games. few games. what is there to love?!

let it die. in fact, throw some more dirt on its grave and make a baseball field out of it.
    I pretty much agree, so we're a minority of two. I don't get emotional about it or anything, and I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but it just did nothing for me. I like the aesthetics of it, and some of the games look beautiful, but I just couldn't get into them. On the other hand, that so many people love this system is an indication that I'm the one who's missing something. Plus, I really like the Xbox. Guess I won't make many friends in this thread. Alas.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, I used to be a Sega fanboy myself but grew out of it several years ago, and now enjoy other consoles and their games. I actually have all the Sega systems released in the US and have collected many many games for each system (both domestic and import).

I guess what I am really trying to say is that I am being realistic about the console market these days (very competitive and costly), and I just do not see any chance of Sega ever going back to develop another console.

Sorry if I had offended anyone here.