Thread: PS1 disks on PSP with new PS3/PSP firmware

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default PS1 disks on PSP with new PS3/PSP firmware

ok so I'm sure some of you have tried out the new firmaware for both systems and have tried putting in a PS1 game into your PS3 for remote play on the PSP. Well I tried this last night and I gotta say it barely works at all. I don't know if maybe I was too far from the system or what it was but it was pretty much unplayable. It would start the games but there was a lot of skipping and a game like Dragon Warrior 7 The text boxes would blink. I tried a couple different games and nothing worked well enough for me to use it. Has anybody else had better experiences with it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let me see if I have this correct, you need to have the physical PS1 disk in your PS3, connect your PSP to the PS3 with Remote Play and than you can play it?

Custom firmware handled PS1 games so much easier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joker T View Post
    Let me see if I have this correct, you need to have the physical PS1 disk in your PS3, connect your PSP to the PS3 with Remote Play and than you can play it?

Custom firmware handled PS1 games so much easier.
    yes, Ps1 disk in the PS3, then remote play it on the PSP. I'm sure custom firmware would be way better from what I hear. Modding and stuff like that just isn't something I'm into. I was just seeing if anybody else has used this feature with any more success than I have gotten out of it. Just way to much delay in the controls and in the game itself.

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

I tried it out also and, sadly, had the same results. Even when I change the settings, its still very laggy. I tried a good deal of different games like SOTN, Lunar, Bust A Groove and MGS. All were laggy
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if there is Lag, I would almost say, "hacking/modding" is the better way to go. I did my old PSP before I sold it, and that worked great, you could play any ps1 game you ripped of course you need a generous sized mem stick but they are dirt cheap now a days.
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

While "custom firmware" is an overall better option for putting ISOs of PS1 games onto a memory stick and having them run perfectly, I haven't had as much difficulty with the new PS3/PSP gameplay as you have...

...granted, I don't have Dragon Warrior to test out specifically.

Of course, going into a situation like playing a game streamed on a system over a Wi-Fi network - one should expect even With the communication speed settings in the optimal positions, you're still going to run into some minor lag.

Unfortunately, that's the case...but if you set up the graphics to -2 and the communication speed to +2 the lag is about 1/4 of a second ... which, still can be frustrating in anything that depends heavily on timing-based actions.

I wouldn't attempt a game of Parappa the Rappa or Dance Dance Revolution ...

I tried a game of Vigilante 8 and a game of Capcom Vs. SNK Pro ... and both were audio/visually very playable (but sadly just a biiiiit laggy in the controller response) ...

... but this shouldn't be much of an issue for traditional non-timing-based RPG players, no?

On a high speed connection there shouldn't be any stuttering in the video or audio ... and the micro lag shouldn't really affect selecting "attack/run/cast spell" where timing isn't an issue.

I guess the reality is that this first run is more of a technical experiment from Sony ... but I still welcome it as a functional proof of concept. If they can manage to crank out a bit more memory or processing power from both the PSP and the PS3 they could probably eliminate what little lag is there.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 12-20-2007 at 12:05 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I guess the reality is that this first run is more of a technical experiment from Sony ... but I still welcome it as a functional proof of concept. If they can manage to crank out a bit more memory or processing power from both the PSP and the PS3 they could probably eliminate what little lag is there.
    Yeah, that's pretty much the truth right there.

This is the first iteration of firmware to sport this functionality. I'm sure in the next firmware releases, they'll tune everything to work more smoothly.

It's still a great feature in theory; I was playing Strider 2 at Starbucks yesterday;I felt like Buck Rogers, and nevermind the lag

Interestingly, while I can get my slim, unhacked PSP to connect to my PS3, I can't get my totally hacked, PSPhat to connect for remote play at all. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

yeah I was only running the PS3's wi-fi direct to my PS3. I tried turn based RPGs but they all either skipped a lot or barely ran the game at all. Maybe I just need to be in a better location or something. It would run a little bit but end up freezing for about 20 seconds, then start running again. I would say it is a good idea but definately needs a bit of fine tuning. I can't wait to get it to work because it does seem like a pretty good feature. I never had problems with either the slim or the phat PSPs for remote play.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    yeah I was only running the PS3's wi-fi direct to my PS3. I tried turn based RPGs but they all either skipped a lot or barely ran the game at all. Maybe I just need to be in a better location or something. It would run a little bit but end up freezing for about 20 seconds, then start running again. I would say it is a good idea but definately needs a bit of fine tuning. I can't wait to get it to work because it does seem like a pretty good feature. I never had problems with either the slim or the phat PSPs for remote play.
    Oooh...20 second lags with in-room remote play?

I only tried via internet with my wireless router ... so the signal technically is going all the way to my cable company's servers, to my PS3 and then back again ending on my PSP ... and I didn't have more than a second of lag ...

sounds like you've got some type of interference going on maybe.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"