Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outrageous shipping charges for sealed DC games...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Outrageous shipping charges for sealed DC games...

I'm trying to put together a complete set of sealed DC games, and I'm getting pretty close. So I figure, I would check out Ebay to see if I could fill out my collection. I haven't done so yet, because I don't trust stuff to be truly factory sealed... With just over 200 sealed DC games, I have had a couple people try to pan off obvious re-shrinks as factory sealed. Plus, I don't want broken cases. But what the heck, maybe I'll find a good deal, right? Wrong.

Good fucking gawd, what some people charge for shipping is unbelievable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=4305

Alone in the Dark for the DC. Good price. Cost for shipping: $5.50. For a fucking CD. That's not including insurance.

In fact, I've got through about 100 auctions and the lowest anyone is charging is $4.50. This is outrageous.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

That's why I sell stuff on Amazon as opposed to EBay whenever I can.

Amazon is quite fair with its shipping costs -- they are built into the price so you get the money for shipping. The default is by Media Mail (something like $2.22, which is usually more then enough) and you can also pay extra to have it sent by Priorty. For international shipping Amazon is also generous in money for PayPal.

Normaly, by the time you ship something and then factor in your packaging costs you break just about even.

When I DO sell stuff on EBay (like my Genesis/32X system now) I always say I'll ship by Priorty in the States and AirMail to the rest of the world. Priorty plus the cost of packaging for me is just about $5 -- my normal shipping rate. If it's heavy or requires a box, then I'll go $10. $10 or $15 for AirMail depending on weight.

I just shipped a CD to England today, as a matter of fact, in a normal Post Office envelope. $8.20 to send that sucker by AirMail, plus another $1.50 for the enevlope -- no price goarging for me!

The best sellers on EBay will give you a choice of how you want it shipped and the rates are the same you would find on Amazon. And me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Outrageous shipping charges for sealed DC games...

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie
    Good fucking gawd, what some people charge for shipping is unbelievable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=4305

Alone in the Dark for the DC. Good price. Cost for shipping: $5.50. For a fucking CD. That's not including insurance.

In fact, I've got through about 100 auctions and the lowest anyone is charging is $4.50. This is outrageous.
    Though I tend to agree with you, I would like to point out a couple of things...

First, Alone in the Dark is, IIRC, a multidisc game and comes in one of those double-sized jewel boxes. So it does in fact weigh more than most DC games.

Secondly, that $4.50 is -- I think -- the cost of priority mail with insurance up to $50 and/or return receipt. In other words, the post office provides the box, you drop the game in, bingo bango, all done. It's an easy option for the seller, and protects the seller and maybe the buyer.

That said, of course that game could be shipped by regular mail for $2 or less, and if you ask, some sellers will allow it.
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Priority Mail for that would be $3.85 and $1.30 for insurance. I recently bought 3 snes games and paid $5 shipping(when it cost me $1.25 for the item). I have yet to receive them and I bought them almost 2 weeks ago. I never overcharge shipping. Some people are just greedy.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Priorty plus the cost of packaging for me is just about $5 -- my normal shipping rate. If it's heavy or requires a box, then I'll go $10. $10 or $15 for AirMail depending on weight.
    Priority mail supplies are free from the USPS and can be ordered to be delivered directly to your house. All at no cost. Half the point of Priority Mail is that they supply you the materials. There should be NO packaging costs for Priority Mail.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Who wants to bother with that? I buy good enevelopes, package them up, and then go to the Post Office and pay for Priorty shipping. The last thing I want to do, espeicly in my small and always busy PO, is waste time there....standing in line takes forever anwyay. Regardless if you get your shipping container from the post office there or buy it on your own, the total cost is the same. (And I never ship by BOX if I can help it -- much more expensive to mail)

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Who wants to bother with that? I buy good enevelopes, package them up, and then go to the Post Office and pay for Priorty shipping. The last thing I want to do, espeicly in my small and always busy PO, is waste time there....standing in line takes forever anwyay. Regardless if you get your shipping container from the post office there or buy it on your own, the total cost is the same. (And I never ship by BOX if I can help it -- much more expensive to mail)
    No, the total cost is not the same. You order the supplies from teh USPS and they are delivered to your house free of charge. No cost of supplies, no delivery charge. That's free supplies delivered right to your house. You can have your stuff all packed up and ready to go just the same as if you'd bought your own supplies, but you don't have to charge the buyer. It costs no more to priority mail a CD in a box than it does to priority mail a CD in an envelope. The way you're doing it you're charging more than you need to and that is what the original poster was complaining about.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had no idea you could order boxes for free online.

http://shop.usps.com

Thanks for the tip!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird
    I had no idea you could order boxes for free online.

http://shop.usps.com

Thanks for the tip!
    Yeah, it totally rocks! And shhh... you don't have to use the supplies strictly for priority mail... there are plenty of things in my house taped with priority mail tape...

another tip:

You can print priority mail labels with FREE DELIVERY CONFIRMATION on that site as well...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why the hell didn't they teach me useful stuff like this in college?!?

Thanks!!!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Again, no problem. Check their site also for a small app that will allow you to manage many items at once, rather than doing it via the web interface in serial. I last used it like a year ago but if it's still there, it's quite useful...

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

They tyvek material envelopes are great for turning inside out for other uses.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Well, I live in a apartment with a VERY tiny mail box, so I have to go to the post office anyway to pick up all my packeges. Plus, I'm usually never here anyway between work, school, and social activities....

I prefer usuing those stock enevelopes anyway from the post office -- they are study, protect well, and easy to handle. Better then the cheepo stuff you get from Wal-Mart. And I don't just sell CD's on Amazon -- I also sell complete games, books, magazines, etc.....any of that will fit into one size enevlope, so it's easiest to just buy those. And sellers have thanked me before for USING those enevelopes.

In any case, I still think $5 is a good price for shipping Priorty (I do confirmation with that money as well) and no one has ever complained.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Oh, just to add on --

Yup, checked the site. No way in heck those would fit in my little box.....I'd have to go the PO anwyay.

Maybe once I get a house.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Secondly, that $4.50 is -- I think -- the cost of priority mail with insurance up to $50 and/or return receipt. In other words, the post office provides the box, you drop the game in, bingo bango, all done. It's an easy option for the seller, and protects the seller and maybe the buyer."

Well, in the case of the 5.50 game, it's FIRST class mail, not priority, and that's not including insurance... all of the 4.50 ones I saw said "insurance is optional for $1.50" or something similar. According to the 5.50 person, most of that is for his 'handling' cost.

Handling cost? That's like walking up to someone and saying "I'll let you fondle my testicles for $3.00".

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess it's not worth anything to you guys for people to package something up and take it to the post office. They should just do that for free , right ? I guess nobody's time and energies are worth anything ? x_x

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that's only about 50cents to much. We charge $5 for shipping like other people here. Sent priority mail with delivery confirmation, game in a ziploc bag and/or with bubble wrap. Sometimes it's just over or under $4, sometimes it's over $6 (like Lunar box set size boxes). It varies, but it's easier to group together. And we combine shipping so usually we pay more then it costs to ship anyway.
    My biggest problem is bubble wrap, it's about $2 for a tiny roll and that really adds up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for some examples guys; my main point is that some people are charging you for "real" services (i.e. Priority over regular mail, insured over non-insured, etc) -- but others are scammers out and out.

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran
    I guess it's not worth anything to you guys for people to package something up and take it to the post office. They should just do that for free , right ? I guess nobody's time and energies are worth anything ? x_x
    Ah, but that's what profit on the item is for. They're going to sell it anyway, right? So raise the minimum bid, don't screw me on postage.
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran
    Ah, but that's what profit on the item is for. They're going to sell it anyway, right? So raise the minimum bid, don't screw me on postage.[/quote]

Why do you think it's called Shipping AND Handling. E-Bay is a job for some people. And Getting supplies and going to the post office , etc is TIME, and as we all know , TIME IS MONEY.
    And what's the difference between charging a handling charge on e-bay and the charges when you mail order ANYTHING. Any time you mail order anything there is a handling charge, you are not charged actual shipping.
    E-Bay is a business, and businesses charge shipping and handling. As long as it is reasonable , like a dollar or two............ Get over it !!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why do you think it's called Shipping AND Handling. E-Bay is a job for some people. And Getting supplies and going to the post office , etc is TIME, and as we all know , TIME IS MONEY.
    And what's the difference between charging a handling charge on e-bay and the charges when you mail order ANYTHING. Any time you mail order anything there is a handling charge, you are not charged actual shipping.
    E-Bay is a business, and businesses charge shipping and handling. As long as it is reasonable , like a dollar or two............ Get over it !!!!!
    Actually I ENCOURAGE your charging handling fees because as long as people like you insist on charging handling fees I'm guaranteed more sales on ebay. I never have and never will charge a handling fee on any of my auctions and I proudly advertise it in my auctions.