Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outrageous shipping charges for sealed DC games...

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    Why do you think it's called Shipping AND Handling. E-Bay is a job for some people. And Getting supplies and going to the post office , etc is TIME, and as we all know , TIME IS MONEY.
    And what's the difference between charging a handling charge on e-bay and the charges when you mail order ANYTHING. Any time you mail order anything there is a handling charge, you are not charged actual shipping.
    E-Bay is a business, and businesses charge shipping and handling. As long as it is reasonable , like a dollar or two............ Get over it !!!!!
    Actually I ENCOURAGE your charging handling fees because as long as people like you insist on charging handling fees I'm guaranteed more sales on ebay. I never have and never will charge a handling fee on any of my auctions and I proudly advertise it in my auctions.
    Let's see, I sell EVERYTHING I list on E-Bay. So how am I helping your sales ? People know that if I charge extra for shipping and handling that they get a well packaged item and speedy delivery. By the way I charge $5.00 for priorty and $3.00 for First Class. After the bubble wrap , mailers , labels , Etc. that's a huge $.50 profit. Ouch , I should be taken out and shot ......

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran
    Let's see, I sell EVERYTHING I list on E-Bay. So how am I helping your sales ? People know that if I charge extra for shipping and handling that they get a well packaged item and speedy delivery. By the way I charge $5.00 for priorty and $3.00 for First Class. After the bubble wrap , mailers , labels , Etc. that's a huge $.50 profit. Ouch , I should be taken out and shot ......
    No, they dont' know they're going to get a well packed item unless they've done business with you before. They HOPE they're going to get one but more often than not any seller (no implications on your shipping here) will just pocket the extra cash and send it poorly. I can't tell you how many times a 'handling' fee has gone along with an item so poorly packed it was damaged in transit...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess it's not worth anything to you guys for people to package something up and take it to the post office. They should just do that for free , right ?
    Ah, but that's what profit on the item is for. They're going to sell it anyway, right? So raise the minimum bid, don't screw me on postage.
    Why do you think it's called Shipping AND Handling.[/quote]

So they can justify gouging us?

E-Bay is a job for some people. And Getting supplies and going to the post office , etc is TIME, and as we all know , TIME IS MONEY.
    And in case you couldn't follow my logic, that's what profit on a sale is for.

Why don't stores charge you handling for the trouble it took them to put everything on the shelves and put price tags out? Because the cost of that work is already in the profit margin.

And what's the difference between charging a handling charge on e-bay and the charges when you mail order ANYTHING. Any time you mail order anything there is a handling charge, you are not charged actual shipping.
    Wait, have you somehow gotten the impression that I like "handling" fees outside of eBay? That would be an incorrect assumption. Do you think I'll pay any handling fee outside of eBay? That is also incorrect. I hate gouging by any mail order source and will refuse to shop at places where the handling fees are unreasonable.

[/quote]E-Bay is a business, and businesses charge shipping and handling. As long as it is reasonable , like a dollar or two............ Get over it !!!!![/quote]

I'll "get over it" if you'll get off your high horse. We were talking about UNREASONABLE handling fees. In fact, if you read back to my original post, I was actually defending some of the higher fees. So read what I actually said, not what you think I said.
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Psst...flip those free priority mail boxes inside out, and they work great for shipping overseas...

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To Slapdash :
    I wasn't addressing your original post. I was responding to everyone crying about handling cost.
    And as for your "so called logic" . What's the difference between adding a handling charge or including it in the price ? The end total is the same/ x_x
    Like I said GET OVER IT !!!!!
    And I am not on a high horse. I'm talking about something that is a common practice and accepted in the business world. That is it is accepted by reasonable people who can look at a situation and come to the proper logical conclusion and not just an emotional one.
    Nuff said ..................I will respond no more............
    P.S. My Kung-Foo is STRONG !!!!!!!!!!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, there are many people, such as some of us, who do not pay such fees. That much is demonstrably true. It can be concluded, therefore, that those of us who fall into this category will not be buying from you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsu
    Psst...flip those free priority mail boxes inside out, and they work great for shipping overseas...
    Doesn't work at my PO -- they now stamp the inside of the box with "Priority Mail" so you can't do that. Luckily my packrat ways have led to a reasonable supply of pre-stamped boxes.

To Slapdash :
    I wasn't addressing your original post. I was responding to everyone crying about handling cost.
    And as for your "so called logic" . What's the difference between adding a handling charge or including it in the price ? The end total is the same/ x_x
    But one is more honest than the other. THAT's the difference.

Like I said GET OVER IT !!!!!
    And I am not on a high horse.
    Bullshit. If you weren't on a high horse you wouldn't be saying things like "GET OVER IT !!!!!". I repeat, get off your high horse.

I'm talking about something that is a common practice and accepted in the business world. That is it is accepted by reasonable people who can look at a situation and come to the proper logical conclusion and not just an emotional one.
    My conclusion is at least as logical as yours. Why can't you accept that? And "common practice" is not synonymous with "ethical practice" or "honest practice".

Nuff said ..................I will respond no more............
    Great.

P.S. My Kung-Foo is STRONG !!!!!!!!!!
    Your kung fu is misspelled.
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Let me try to change this topic a little bit --

Anyone else here sell stuff on Amazon? I sell five times more stuff on Amazon then I do on EBay.

What do you think of their built in shipping rates?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why do you think it's called Shipping AND Handling. E-Bay is a job for some people.
    If I'm asked type up a quarterly report or whatever at my work, I don't ask for a .50 handling fee, so that argument is ridiculous.

I remember there being some seller on yahoo auctions who charged 9.99 for shipping on CD games, and would not combine shipping. His excuse was that he only had one hand, so his neighbor did all the packing and shipping for him. Sure it sucks that he lost a hand, but it's no excuse to charge a shitload so you can make extra profits. If you can't ship stuff or can't find the time to go the post, I think you need to find another job.

Anyways, I charge 4.50 for priority mail and 2.50 for first class, both with delivery confirmation. So, 3.85 +.55 = 4.40, so I make a whopping .10 cent profit on priority mail stuff. And in certain cases with priority mail, I undercharge on accident and lose some money. But that's just how it goes. But I don't add a couple bucks to the fee just because I have to pack the stuff up and drive to the post during lunch, that's crap, and not a good way to get a reputation of being a good and honest seller.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Let me try to change this topic a little bit --

Anyone else here sell stuff on Amazon? I sell five times more stuff on Amazon then I do on EBay.

What do you think of their built in shipping rates?
    I have been selling on Amazon for over a year. Personally, I think their built in shipping rates are the biggest scam ever.

They charge the buyer their regualr shipping rate and then give the seller barely enough to cover media for a small item. This really hurts if you're selling multiple CD sets or an oversized book. I want to know where the extra dollar something goes. As far as I can tell, Amazon just pockets the difference, which isn't fair for the seller or the buyer.

Factoring in cost for packaging, I've always lost money on shipping at Amazon. Even without the packaging cost, I'm only barely breaking even. Of course, since it's not an auction I can set my prices accordingly, but Amazon sellers are cutthroat. If I put something up at a reasonable price, it's a guarantee that a week later there will be at least two items listed for less. Too many high volume sellers to really give people like me a fair shot.

And don't get me started on their high selling costs...

(I know the question will be, so why do I bother? Well, it's better than taking stuff to Half Price Books. They REALLY fuck you. At least with Amazon I get something for my stuff.)