Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video games for a party.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Default Video games for a party.

I'm sure threads like this have been done. I found the 90s party thread and got some good ideas there, but thought more suggestions might be good.

What are some good games to set up ready to go at my coming New Year's party? Not going to be a huge party, and frankly I imagine we'll be lucky if people stay till midnight. Also, this isn't a gaming crowd. So, I figure easy pick up an play games are the best bet, and probably not games that take a long time (like the Mario Party games).

I'll have at least 3 TVs, probably 4, and possibly 5. All the games have to come from my collection (that's not up to date, though). What I'm thinking so far is the Action Max I just got from Ponyone, just for the novelty of it, then switch to something else after a bit. Also, I have a Sears Pong clone that is actually pretty fun on the Hockey game. I like the idea of having Bust-a-move going since it is easy and fun for anyone. What about two-player DDR?

Then I'm hoping to get some good 4-player games going. I don't have Bomberman in any form (other than NES, which is different), although there is a chance I have it via SNES emulation on the Dreamcast, but I don't know if that'll work. I have the satellite for NES, so super off-road or RC Pro Am II are options: any other 4 player NES games that are worth it? I have a multitap for SNES, anything besides bomberman or NBA Jam good w/ 4 players? And I'll probably set out a few of the biggies for each system in case anyone wants to have a go at something they remember.

I'm going to have to narrow it down at some point. Would you go with Mario Kart 64 or Mario Kart: Double Dash? Maybe some Wario Ware?

Crap, I forgot I was going to do Warlords. I've got 1 set of paddles, but my Sears controllers that work as paddles are sort of on the fritz. Anyone in the Twin Cities got paddles I can buy/borrow?

I'll probably also set out my handhelds with a game or two each (NGP, Game Gear, Lynx, Nomad, and a couple gameboys.

I also have a 3do and Jaguar, but don't think I have any games for them that would bump other stuff.

Um... I'll shut up now. Anyone have thoughts or suggestions on how to pull this off successfully?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guitar Hero if you have it. People go crazy for it. One of the various Mario Party games would be great. And for the hardcore gamers (if any are showing up) Street Fighter II tournaments are awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Saturn Bomberman. Hands down. 10 players (though I prefer 8, since you get more maps and you don't have to squint), 36 map variations with the code (Hold X+Y+Z at the stage select screen)... just a damn great party game.

Actually played this with my cousins on Christmas evening couple nights ago. Now that's how you spend Christmas...

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The most I've ever heard people yelling during a party at my house have been during Pac Man Vs. and Gamecube Mario Kart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Saturn Bomberman. Hands down. 10 players (though I prefer 8, since you get more maps and you don't have to squint), 36 map variations with the code (Hold X+Y+Z at the stage select screen)... just a damn great party game.

Actually played this with my cousins on Christmas evening couple nights ago. Now that's how you spend Christmas...
    Apparently my first post was too long cause 2 out of 3 people replying didn't read it!! Hah! Yeah, Saturn Bomberman was mentioned in the 90s party thread a few times, I just don't have it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ntanner

Out of the Mario Karts, go for the Cube one. Playing Double Dash, your guests have to team up, which is always fun.
    A Wii would be great of course, especially with Wii sports, so if you could get a hold of this...
    Singstar games might be enjoyed as well.
    You could also set up some classic games like Pacman, depending on the age of your guests it could give them some warm childhood memories.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wii Sports, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Guitar hero, DDR, Mario Kart DD, Puzzle Bobble,....and Shaq Fu!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bishi Bashi Special 2 for PSX
    or fool around with the NES power pad cheating on world class track meet xD

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Death Tank Zwei!!!!!
    nuff said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Tank_Zwei

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Custer's Revenge FTW.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Something me and my brother did once when we were bored was played "blind man mario" and "blind man tetris" The way it worked was this...One person wore a blindfold and played the game while the other told them what to do. It was lots of crazy fun and we were actually able to get a lot farther in the games than you'd think. Any game would work as long as it's something most people have played before. We always thought it'd be fun to do as a team contest.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Something me and my brother did once when we were bored was played "blind man mario" and "blind man tetris" The way it worked was this...One person wore a blindfold and played the game while the other told them what to do. It was lots of crazy fun and we were actually able to get a lot farther in the games than you'd think. Any game would work as long as it's something most people have played before. We always thought it'd be fun to do as a team contest.
    I don't mean to go off topic, but at one point I was really good at Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance and challenged somebody to play me without me looking at the screen. I was able to win a couple rounds just by hearing the sounds, no bullshit.

Back on topic I'd suggest some of the older Mortal Kombat games, like part 1 for genesis. I enjoy some old school Atari games too such as Warlords, and Kaboom (taking turns).

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Drunk Wild Gunman played on lots of TVs simultaneously FTW

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quite a collection there, Corny! I dont think you'll have any prob. finding games for the party. I hosted a non-gaming crowd once, I thought the EyeToy would be a hit but it kinda scared everyone off. The last time we had a big party, EyeToy: Groove was a semi-hit, but only b/c a "fun person" asked about it.

I found on Xmas I brought my Yobo (NES clone) to my parents' & my teenage/early 20 nieces had an absolute riot w/ NES Track & Field. Zapper/light gun games may be ideal too, anyone can fire a gun (wont work on LCD TVs).

Also maybe try some game show games like Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, Millionaire, etc. Most people know those.

Yeah, classics are a good idea- the less complicated the game, the better. Personally I wouldnt do handhelds or the 3DO/Jag, not party-conducive IMO. Oh, & try teams on games where possible, like 4-6 plyr Ms Pac-Man- have 2 teams of 2-3 plyrs each, have them alternate lives, screens, etc. Make sure you mix good players w/ novices.
    Last edited by RJ; 12-28-2007 at 02:49 PM.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

have you got any good multi player games like Party Mix (VCS), 8-bit Trivial Pursuit (A8 or C64), Decathlon (perhaps VCS), Games series (C64), Party Quiz (A8), The M.U.L.E. (A8)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Naaah, I wouldnt set up a computer, I think people'd be more likely to play game consoles. (I can see you're an A8 enthusiast!)

Plus is M.U.L.E. really pick up & play?

Hey be sure to tell us how it went! (I'm just over in Oakdale & have paddles! Am I invited?)
    Last edited by RJ; 12-28-2007 at 02:46 PM.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Heck yeah! Come on over. Especially if you bring paddles! I'm in Nordeast. I kinda doubt you'd want to spend your New Years with a bunch of strange stranger engineers, but pm me if you want to drop by.

I read your thread on the Game Show night. That sounds like a blast, but I think it needs a dedicated night to really make it work.

I haven't really narrowed down the options yet, although I'm getting some good ideas. I did fire up the Dreamcast with dreamSNES and Bomberman works fine, so I'll maybe see if that is a hit. I'm also toying with an aught-7/8 Nintendo "My House" Championship since I sprang for that reproduction a while back. Fabulous prizes to be determined/fabricated/located.

And I haven't had a VCR hooked up in years, so we'll see if I get a chance to get that ActionMax going or not. I'm pretty sure if I do that I'll switch that TV to something else after the novelty wears off.

Death Tank sounds cool, but I'm not going to be able to make it happen; Combat will be close at hand, though, as invisible bouncing bullet tanks is still one of the best 2 player vs. games ever made.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Play Tennis (not Activision) on VCS and put the other player on 'press fire for return shot' and don't tell him, that's always good for a laugh.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mario games are the bettee.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good luck on that party tonight. Turns out we're having guests here after all.