Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game Web site banns you for no reason

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Game Web site banns you for no reason

On gamespot.com my friend posted that he didnt like Halo 3. He was sent a warning to stop posting things like that. I posted that I didnt like cod4. I was warned. I then stated reasons why I didnt like the game, I was temporarily suspended?! So you can only post if you like a game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Gamespot honestly has no credibility to speak of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

This is what gamespot has turned into. I am not a member there and I have no plan to be one.

Gamespot wants to make their sponsors happy. Gamespot also appears to want everyone to think the same thing about a game like their game reviewers do.

They have no crediability left as a gaming site.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
    So you can only post if you like a game?
    The hardcore Nintendo fan-boys here at DP have tired to create a similar environment where you can only say good things about Nintendo consoles and games.

Anyone who dares question an action of the big "N" is shouted down and dismissed as a MS or Sony fan-boy (followed by post after post trumpeting Wii sales numbers from the previous month). They simply cannot process the concept of someone owning and enjoying all three consoles.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, I hold the Gamespot site in the same light as I do the Gamefaqs forums, ie, large steaming piles of horseshit. There are other game forums out there that are leagues beyond the aforementioned sites. Like DP for example!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Damaramu View Post
    There are other game forums out there that are leagues beyond the aforementioned sites. Like DP for example!
    Agreed. Nintendo fan-boys nonwithstanding, the DP forums are the best I've found so far. The console specific forums at CAG are pretty decent too.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    The hardcore Nintendo fan-boys here at DP have tired to create a similar environment where you can only say good things about Nintendo consoles and games.

Anyone who dares question an action of the big "N" is shouted down and dismissed as a MS or Sony fan-boy (followed by post after post trumpeting Wii sales numbers from the previous month). They simply cannot process the concept of someone owning and enjoying all three consoles.
    Thank you. Thank you. I thought I was the only one who has noticed this here. They are what I refer to as the "Nintendo mafia" - sort of like the "Spanish Inquisition!" bit from the old Monty Python's Flying Circus days ("No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!"), they pop in on any thread where there is a perceived negative post about the big "N", and they argue the same stuff ad nauseum, just like you said.

As far as Gamespot, yeah, they are a complete joke, and I do not know why anyone would visit their site when there are well respected alternatives out there.
    Last edited by esquire; 12-28-2007 at 12:50 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

Quote Originally Posted by esquire View Post
    Thank you. Thank you. I thought I was the only one who has noticed this here. They are what I refer to as the "Nintendo mafia" - sort of like the "Spanish Inquisition!" bit from the old Monty Python's Flying Circus days ("No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!"), they pop in on any thread where there is a perceived negative post about the big "N", and they argue the same stuff ad nauseum, just like you said.

As far as Gamespot, yeah, they are a complete joke, and I do not know why anyone would visit their site when there are well respected alternatives out there.

Spanish Inquisition? How about the Nintendo superiorvision. They had the foresight (like they do with each console) to see what the future of gaming will become. It is the Wii.
    Here are some numbers:

"Since they first hit shelves last November, the PS3 has sold 1.1 million units while the Wii has tallied 1.86 million."

I crunched the numbers. Doesn't look good for you microhardons out there.
    gamertag: pony0ne
    Wii friend: 6437 2281 7665 7241
    http://youtube.com/patrolskies - Patrol The Skies

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The difference being: The Nintendo Fan-Boys try and ARGUE their respective points of view. Be they valid or invalid. They don't outright ban you for saying "XXX Game sucks." or "Mario is a closet homosexual."

Are there really though? I know of some respectable online alternatives which cater to specific systems or companies, but no review sites that have such a wide scope, review as many games, and have as detailed archives. I dislike Gamespot, but i do look there on occasion simply due to it's having everything all in one place in a timely fashion. The reviews i take with a grain of salt however.

It's surprising more review sites don't exist. Especially since companies often send out free games, previews, and all sorts of goodies to even the smallest scale websites. Not to mention advertising cash. This used to be a primary way that most pirate(warez) groups would obtain their releases. Through "dummy" review sites. Some even that were not exactly "dummy" ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyone View Post
    Spanish Inquisition? How about the Nintendo superiorvision. They had the foresight (like they do with each console) to see what the future of gaming will become. It is the Wii.
    Here are some numbers:

"Since they first hit shelves last November, the PS3 has sold 1.1 million units while the Wii has tallied 1.86 million."

Here we go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Here are some numbers:

Sony did two of the worlds best selling consoles (PS, PS2), Nintendo can never even dream of beating that.
    So you stick your number crunching up your bum.

Last edited by tom; 12-28-2007 at 01:34 PM.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What happens if you go on there and say that you don't like Gamespot? Do men in an unmarked black sedan kidnap you and bury you in the desert?

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

Here we go.

Here we go? how about go nintendo?

I'd crunch numbers but it's useless at this point. I'll crunch them though

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Sony did two of the worlds best selling consoles (PS, PS2), Nintendo can never even dream of beating that.
    So you stick your number crunching up your bum.

Stick the number crunching up my bum?

How about we all kiss Nintendo's bum

Oh I give up. I'm running out of steam.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post

Hey now, take it easy! I happen to be a "hardcore Nintendo fan-boy" AND I own and enjoy all three consoles. (Well, I enjoy the PS3 as a decent Blu Ray player)
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here are some numbers:

Really, nobody else found this funny? Does everything need a winky smiley beside it to be deemed funny? Well here's one just in case:

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs View Post
    What happens if you go on there and say that you don't like Gamespot? Do men in an unmarked black sedan kidnap you and bury you in the desert?

Try it

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I've looked around at different gaming forums and the only one I post on is DP because a lot of the other forums seem to have a much younger crowd. That means you get a lot of the "Sony is the bestest ever and it is better than 360 graphics" kinda posts. I sometimes see a slight bit of that here but its much easier to ignore things like that becuase there isn't as much of it going on. I personally like all the systems equally its only certain games that come out that I don't always have a good opinion about. I think it is kind of funny that a web site won't let you list your opinions of certain games without being warned for being suspended. Wouldn't you think that word would get out about that kinda thing (like it has here) and make people aware of it over time?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mangar View Post
    It's surprising more review sites don't exist. Especially since companies often send out free games, previews, and all sorts of goodies to even the smallest scale websites. Not to mention advertising cash. This used to be a primary way that most pirate(warez) groups would obtain their releases. Through "dummy" review sites. Some even that were not exactly "dummy" ones.
    Speaking from first-hand experience from my own site, there are a couple of reasons why I don't review games via "official" channels (ie, new releases from the companies).

- They often expect you to put a lot of "content" under the guise of previews that are really nothing more than ads before you even get a review copy of the game. Besides the ethics of this, it's often quite time-consuming and really not worth it.

- Oftentimes, they would require you to use offical screenshots, movies, etc, which is fine, but the content was not optimized for normal web pages at all. One company was sending me pictures that were in the 2-3 MB range; not exactly web-friendly. Again, it turns into a big hassle when it really shouldn't be.

- Most importantly, there was always a (not so) thinly veiled implication that the reviews needed to be positive or else no new games would be sent. If I'm spending my free time working on my site, I'm sure as hell not going to be basically an unpaid PR worker for that company.

- Any "advertising cash" that gets thrown out is usallly so miniscule that it's almost insulting.

And just in general, most people don't want to devote their spare time to making a website. It is really a sizable chunk of time if your site grows to be more than a few pages. The general maitenance can often take as much, if not more, time than making the actual content. So if they want to write reviews, there's plenty of other outlets like Blogspot, Myspace, GameFAQs, etc.
    Last edited by Neil Koch; 12-28-2007 at 02:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mangar View Post
    The difference being: The Nintendo Fan-Boys try and ARGUE their respective points of view. Be they valid or invalid. They don't outright ban you for saying "XXX Game sucks." or "Mario is a closet homosexual."

Are there really though? I know of some respectable online alternatives which cater to specific systems or companies, but no review sites that have such a wide scope, review as many games, and have as detailed archives. I dislike Gamespot, but i do look there on occasion simply due to it's having everything all in one place in a timely fashion. The reviews i take with a grain of salt however.

dare i say it.... ign is a far better site than gamespot
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle