Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Epic RPG's that take 60+ hours to get through and see everything?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To get every deathblow, item, etc. in Xenogears will take around 80+ hours. Without all this stuff, the game takes around 60 hours to complete.

-GoTaS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by udisi View Post
    Dragon Warrior 7 on ps1.
    It took me 106 hours to beat it and loved every minute of it.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, +1 to the Morrowind edit. 60hrs for Morrowind is a joke, I put in well over 200.

I had 90 hrs on my Xenogears game and over 100hrs on FF7. It took a lot of leveling of "Magic Plus" materia to get KoTR to do 9999/hit (130k/turn).

Hell, I'm at about 100 hrs on Fire Emblem: The Sacred stones for GBA. It's my 3rd time through, but you need to beat it 3 times to truly unlock everything (super pupils, etc...)
    so I sort of consider it one big continuous game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

star ocean III is huge.
    rogue galaxy clocks in around 100 hours
    yes i did it.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lucavi View Post
    star ocean III is huge.
    rogue galaxy clocks in around 100 hours
    Star Ocean III is definitely long, but there's no way Rogue Galaxy is 100 hours. I don't think it even took me 40 to finish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo View Post
    Star Ocean III is definitely long, but there's no way Rogue Galaxy is 100 hours. I don't think it even took me 40 to finish.
    Yeah, Rogue Galaxy is one of the shorter RPG's on the PS2. I finished it in 37 hours. I didn't touch the "factory" or "insect battling" side quests though, but really...did anyone?

I think some of the people in this thread are way overestimating the time it takes to finish games. I'm probably just splitting hairs here, but FF7 in 100 hours? It doesn't even take 70 to do every single thing possible. Mass Effect taking 60 to 80 hours? Not even close. I finished every side quest, conversation, read everything in the codex and ended up finishing the game in under 40 hours...and I took my time. I was in absolutely no rush.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Another vote for Dragon Warrior VII for me. Took me 120 hours to get through.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Ghsqb

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Yeah, Rogue Galaxy is one of the shorter RPG's on the PS2. I finished it in 37 hours. I didn't touch the "factory" or "insect battling" side quests though, but really...did anyone?

I think some of the people in this thread are way overestimating the time it takes to finish games. I'm probably just splitting hairs here, but FF7 in 100 hours? It doesn't even take 70 to do every single thing possible. Mass Effect taking 60 to 80 hours? Not even close. I finished every side quest, conversation, read everything in the codex and ended up finishing the game in under 40 hours...and I took my time. I was in absolutely no rush.

Yeah but you're uber.
    We're talking mortals here.

How many of the matriarchs writings did you find?
    How many mineral deposits?
    Did you explore every planet in every galaxy, or just the ones the missions took you to?

I'm thinking there's already a couple of people in this thread that have put Mass Effect at 60+.

So what's more likely, we're making it up, or maybe you didn't quite do everything?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by ghsqb View Post
    Yeah but you're uber.
    We're talking mortals here.
    Please.

By no means am I bragging. It's possible to state a fact and not be boasting...give me a break. I'm not an uber gamer by any stretch of the imagination. I've just played alot of the RPG's mentioned and they didn't take as long as people are saying. Simple as that.

How many of the matriarchs writings did you find?
    How many mineral deposits?
    Did you explore every planet in every galaxy, or just the ones the missions took you to?

I'm thinking there's already a couple of people in this thread that have put Mass Effect at 60+.

So what's more likely, we're making it up, or maybe you didn't quite do everything?
    I don't know what to say. I found everything. I visited every planet you could land on. Check my gamercard for the "completed majority of game" achievement.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Ghsqb

Please.

By no means am I bragging. It's possible to state a fact and not be boasting...give me a break. I'm not an uber gamer by any stretch of the imagination. I've just played alot of the RPG's mentioned and they didn't take as long as people are saying. Simple as that.

I don't know what to say. I found everything. I visited every planet you could land on. Check my gamercard for the "completed majority of game" achievement.
    Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I haven't even finished the game yet and I'm already over 60 hours.

Like you I have the completist badge, and I certainly didn't spend time just sitting in an area.

I have without a doubt visited every planet that could be landed on and thoroughly explored it, not just hitting the POI's but finding the hidden stuff etc.

Is it possible you could have done just as much, faster...sure I guess...though it's hard to imagine where you'd shave all these hours off.

The Mako only drives so fast...

Anyway, the only portion of your comment that I took exception to is the statement that people are exaggerating the time it takes to play these games...

What possible reason would I (or anyone else) have for doing so?

Everyone is different, YMMV, but I just don't like the comment that we'd somehow be bullshitting the OP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by ghsqb View Post
    Anyway, the only portion of your comment that I took exception to is the statement that people are exaggerating the time it takes to play these games...

What possible reason would I (or anyone else) have for doing so?

Everyone is different, YMMV, but I just don't like the comment that we'd somehow be bullshitting the OP.
    Please don't misunderstand, I didn't mean people are purposely exaggerating. Memory is a funny thing. It's human nature for people to think things were longer or more difficult than they actually were. I'm certainly not accusing people of lying.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Please don't misunderstand, I didn't mean people are purposely exaggerating. Memory is a funny thing. It's human nature for people to think things were longer or more difficult than they actually were. I'm certainly not accusing people of lying.

I purposely haven't posted in this thread because I have no clue how long it took me to finish any RPG. Unless it was extremely short, those stand out. I have a bad habit of just leaving the game running. Artificially boosting the play clock. Sometimes this is because the game relies on save points and I can't make it to one in time, and sometimes it's because I get distracted and umm... do something else. I have lots of PSX memory cards, unfinished, where the game's clocked in at plus 99 hours. :P

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Final Fantasy XII takes around 220-250 hours to do a 100% complete run give or take depending on spawns of rare game and certain items, this is of course a real 100% run including sky pirates den and a complete monster library etc.

International Zodiac Job System easily adds a number of more hours with the Trial mode. Quite possible the longest single player RPG ever made.

Valkyrie Profile 2 is also quite long if you choose to do everything including max level.

On average most rpg's when it comes to story mode are 40-50 hours, when you factor in a 100% run it can up that timeframe very much, sometimes triple the story mode time!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Cinder6

Personally, there are very few RPGs that engross me enough that I just have to see everything in them. Consequently, I haven't logged 60+ hours into many games. What about games where only the main story takes 60+ hours? Somebody mentioned Xenogears...any others?
    Knowledge is Power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How about Dragon Quest VIII? I put in about 100 hours but even if you just go for normal quest it's about 70-80 hours, best of all the game is fun and you'll never get bored, the alchemy of various items will get you hooked for a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

It's hard to even come close to listing the number of RPGs that could take 60+ hours simply because it all depends on what one's after. Beat the game, get the best ending, or get everything in the game from items to maxed charcters.

I found the following games took me over 60 hours.
    Final Fantasy IV (aka Final Fantasy II in N/A)-- Yes, it took me that long. I spent most of the time at the end trying to track down some stupid monster in one room that droped an item you could trade for some peice of equipment that was soposed to be ultra powerfull. Needless to say, I ended up feeling I'd wasted all that time as the game can be beaten very quickly in less then 30 hours.

Final Fantasy VI (aka Final Fantasy III in N/A)--Yet another one that was easy to beat in 30 or under but with all the options to max everyone with every spell and ability, it was just too easy to just go power hungry even though there realy wasnt a thing that was a chalenge past level 55 in the game.

Star Ocean 2 --This game, even if you didnt do any of the sidequests would still take atleast 50 hours. If you added all the extras like leveling your charcters to 255, maxing out each of your skills, and getting all the secret items, beating the secret dungeon, and then beating the difficult version of the boss would take more then the 120hrs I personaly invested into it. This game single handed helped me burn thru 1 PS1 system as I'd logged in over 300hrs in one month alone with it. Yes, it helps when you get 80hrs into one save, then 60 into another and decide to buy the strategy guide and re-start it all over again.

Dragon Warrior VII --Beating it was hard, beating god was..........

Final Fantasy XII --So big, so many things to do, so uterly boring for some reason though it looked so pretty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To my knowledge - Dragon Warrior 7 is a long pain in the ass.
    Maybe Wild Arms 1 as well. Took me almost 50+ hours.
    The rest is much less. FF7= 40+ hours.
    OWNER: http://www.sealedvideogames.net
    My Rpg Collection
    Always looking for FACTORY SEALED snes and sega and psx RPG's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can count me in as someone who took 100+ hours on one save file of FFVII doing everything. I didn't really screw around, either; that was all goal-oriented playing. But I did everything you could possibly do by the end of it.

The only other game I can think of off the top of my head that I spent 50+ hours on a single save file was Disgaea. I did between 40 and 50 on Disgaea 2, and didn't do half the stuff I could have, although I beat the game (I guess something like that could be said for Disgaea 1). Maybe I spent 50+ on the original Culdcept, but it doesn't have a timer. I also played FF 2 and 3 (SNES, US versions) obsessive-compulsively, so maybe I did it on those and just forgot.
    Feedback thread here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    JCinc421

Final Fantasy XII is probably the longest of all I would think. I have played around 120hrs and I am in the middle of the place before the last place in the game...not to mention i have a few more marks to beat and about 2-3 side dungeons to go through...and countless other random shit to do.

Final Fantasy X also took me awhile...my first time through getting all the arena beasts unlocked and all that took me about 120 hrs total. My second time through to the end only took me about 80-90 hrs though.

Final Fantasy Tactics is also a long one if you want to make sure you're a badass. Conquering every floor of the Deep Dungeon...poaching everything you can for special items, stealing all rare and unique items (ultima, genji set, etc.)and building up your characters to level 99 and mastering all jobs is not easy/short task. It's too bad the timer on FFT stops at all 9's and will not go over 100hrs.

Legend of Mana is a long one as well. One time through the game is only 30-40hrs...but after that you can unlock to modes of higher difficulty and restart the game with all your current lvls, pets, weapons, and items. Playing through a second time on the "no future mode" puts all monsters to lvl 99 with a bajillion health...needless to say going through the game on that difficulty can be quite time consuming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i would have to say it's simply impossible to do everything in rogue galaxy in less than 100 hours(which the original poster started this thread about.) i stopped at 84 hours and didn't touch the insectron, some frog log, some factory, the second ghost ship, nor try to complete the enemy list. not to mention the mind numbing life wasting task it would take to make everyones weapons. there's a lot in this game.
    yes i did it.