Thread: Problems with SNES Graphics

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Problems with SNES Graphics

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...postcount=1811

Just a short introduction but now to my problem.

While playing Top Gear on my SNES I noticed that the game sounds will keep going and so will the gameplay but the video pauses. Also, the MPH gauge reads correct when it's at 000, but other than that the numbers scramble. For example, say I'm in 3rd place, then the video pauses then proceeds to go very slow. However, you can see that I'm dropping to 4th place then 5th because the game keeps on playing. It does this very often while playing this particular game.

Another example is while playing any Madden game the score won't be correct or it'll insert a dash, comma, or period in place of a number. I might gain 20 yards and it'll read gain of 1 yard. Again gameplay is not affected.

The last example is while playing NBA Jam I can't score. The ball seems to be shot straight up in the air instead of towards the basket. I recorded a video on my treo and I'll post that in a bit.

I had just received the proper gamebits for opening up my SNES and I thought maybe some chip was broken, fryed, or maybe somekind of loose connection. I noticed I had the removable 62 pin connector so I removed it and cleaned it as best I could. My SNES wasn't very dirty at all from the inside, so I figured it wouldn't really be the connector but I could still be wrong. From what I'm describing is there any one that can diagnose this? I figured omnedon could but I know there are others out there knowledgeable enough to lead me in the right direction. Also would it be repairable? I know some people would have to open it up again and take a look at it, so I figured it would probably be cheaper to just purchase another SNES. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I'm able to play most other games without any graphic problems, (Micro Machines, Super Mario World, Street Fighter) but it just bugs me that I can't play every game I have.
    Last edited by 98redM6; 01-02-2008 at 02:53 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's the video. Kind of funny.

Last edited by 98redM6; 01-02-2008 at 09:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

might be some bad RAM. im not sure though... if you have a flashcart you can try the SNES test cart rom on it, it's helped me troubleshoot a few bad snes mainboards

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone else?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well after doing some searching I realized that some people had similar problems. So I got a n64 and snes off of ebay for $17 shipped to me. The n64 was described as non-operating and the snes was described as having a problem with the rf output. I figured I'd switch out the mainboard as suggested in other threads. My little brother tested out the n64 with his accessories and it worked. The SNES worked as well. I just switched out the rf output from my old SNES. It wasn't until I was plugging everything in that I realized I didn't even need to switch out the rf output for it to work. It just looks better with a functioning rf output and I got a chance to clean it up.

Strawberry (Level 2) MonoTekETeA's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome! Great to hear that you fixed it, not to mention you got a great deal on the systems too!
    Yippy Kie Yo Yai Yay
    I am really bad at spelling...no really.
    v A gift from Drexel923, Thanks homie! v