Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gillian Seed X
    PSN
    RyJonJinn

Default Crackdown

Is the game pretty good? I really like exploration, but i despise the GTA series, since i do not want to support the garbage content. The graphics look Cel-Shaded in this game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would not compare this to GTA at all. GTA is about the motors and vehicals while this looks like childish destruction. Also walking around in some sorta super suit adds to the childish atmosphere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gillian Seed X
    PSN
    RyJonJinn

Well that was a lame reply. I only brought up GTA because this game gets compared to the GTA series. And walking around in a supersuit does not make it childish. I assume you think Wind Waker was childish as well?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought Crackdown about six weeks ago and loved it. It is free roaming like GTA, but that's about it as far as similarities go. The missions are a bit repetitive, but I didn't mind it. The game offers you several option for each mission, so you can change them up a bit. The powers were an interesting addition. I really enjoyed just running around the city using my powers. The ending was a bit of a let down, but set up the sequels so I guess I can't be too miffed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it's a great game.. I had a lot of fun with it. The fun part is getting your guy powered up to become stronger and to be able to jump from skyscraper to building tops.. etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Best game to come out for the first half of 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Nesmaster View Post
    Best game to come out for the first half of 2007.
    Agreed.

Crackdown is similar to GTA in that it's an open-world "sandbox" game. The difference (which makes Crackdown better IMO) is that you're a genetically enhanced officer of the law, not some shitbag "gangsta" playing pimp, doing drive-by's and gunning down cops. The enemies in this game are the drug dealers and gangsters.

The clincher is the superb vertical platforming your character can pull off. As your skills increase, you will be able to scale higher buildings, deliver more damage, jump higher, etc. The orb hunting (2 types) is completely addictive. Vehicle control is better than GTA. The weapon targeting system blows GTA out of the water (I'm praying Rockstar copies this system in GTA IV). The cell-shading is evident in some places more than others. It's almost like the idea of cell-shading everything was too ambitious, so they stopped half way. The overall art style still works.

I've played almost every known "sandbox" game out there to completion. It's the ultimate video game genre IMO. From a gameplay perspective, Crackdown is the best sandbox game released so far (Mercenaries running a very close 2nd). It's my personal pick for non-FPS game of the year. I've easily sunk 100+ hours into it since release.
    Last edited by heybtbm; 01-02-2008 at 07:02 PM.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

It is really a shame it had to come with the Halo 3 beta. People just ignored it, or just got it because of the beta. It is a really fun game, and as stated once you can jump from building to building, you will not stop. Plus finding the orbs is great fun. And the DLC is worth a look. Good co-op too. Indeed one of the highlights of the first half of 2007.
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buns34 View Post
    Well that was a lame reply. I only brought up GTA because this game gets compared to the GTA series. And walking around in a supersuit does not make it childish. I assume you think Wind Waker was childish as well?
    GTA is a car game where you can drive diffrent cars and do many diffrent task with the cars. Yes there is a story surounding GTA but the main point was to have a fun game that allowed you to drive cars, boats, jetpack, F-16, Choppers, RC, and even tanks. GTA is a big car game rather then have some dorkwaud drive a car and the magic police shows up to pull you over.

There is also alternative versions of GTA like the one I am talking about where you could get into a car and drive forever and deal with real traffic jams along with mowing down an entire sidewalk and making it look like orange "Alien Nation Jam"

And walking around in a supersuit does not make it childish. I assume you think Wind Waker was childish as well?
    Yes since this whole game revolves around a childish plot. I am going to summon the moon and crush one little town with it since they are diffrent then I am. Frogs that fight with attitude and green blood, and oh wow Eponda is back and better then ever.

Link getting a hug from Marian sprite as a reward. The whole female amazonian indian pirate bit. The not so virgin fairy fountain. The baby fairy bit. The mythical creatures along with a rocker merman and a pirate with amazon fetish.

The enemies in this game are the drug dealers and gangsters
    Drug Dealers was on the NES.

Gangsters being used is a stereotype that has been around since the days of Prohibition and when all the grown ups did not want there children hanging out with gangs when gangs was a cool thing.

So the law screwed up an entire meaning and this why the Pink Phanther Gang is no longer on tv along with Fat Albert, Jackie Chan, Cleopatra, and others.

Everybodies family is a type of gang, group, crew, or even party. There is only violence when a gang member strays away like a mother spanking a son over touching fire or the daughter snuck out to hang out with some dirtbag.

The orb hunting
    Childish

It's almost like the idea of cell-shading everything was too ambitious
    It is sappose to be like a animation. This is why limited graphics ( cel shaded is used over common textures.

you're a genetically enhanced officer of the law,
    That is the most kiddiest thing I ever heard. Tommy in GTA just wants to do what he gotta do. He would be driving around in real life going to meetings getting business done and then going to freindly playpalor and getting some pungtang.

The creators of GTA just wanted to make the game as releastic as possible without going over board.

the law
    In real life officers of the law that you see on the street aren't in the best shape of there lives, not very smart, and is only trying to retire early. Most of them if they do see any action is probably the last thing they want at all.

Those criminals are the smart ones. They probably watch the news more then anybody else in the world. Then again they use figures like young adults and trendy characters to make them look like they can't read at all.

Even detectives who are the ones to investigate and might get into trouble doing so will most likely have nothing cross there paths that is important.

Then lets not forget about the FBI and other police ogranizations. There is no such thing as enchanced officer or even soilder of the law.

Your just a muscle bound Earthworm Jim but your are really that strong and it is not just the suit.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"That is the most kiddiest thing I ever heard."

I've found my new sig.... Too bad the rest was...Well... The kiddiest thing I've ever read..
    "That is the most kiddiest thing I ever heard." -ROTS MKII January 2 2008

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by ROTS MKII View Post
    Childish
    Irony overload.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BeastScholar

You could rent Crackdown and get about as much ejoyment out of it as you would owning it. If you're not completely done with it in a week then you really must enjoy mindless carnage...which I do. The game has little depth, and the downloadable weapons packs and such are fun but only for a bit. I had a lot more fun with Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.
    Everyone is beautiful if you squint a bit...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ROTS MKII View Post
    Your just a muscle bound Earthworm Jim but your are really that strong and it is not just the suit.
    And already we have a post of the year candidate...

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

It's one of my few 360 "keepers". I STILL play this game, especially in online co-op. Even after all this time, there are a handful of those icons I have not found. I refuse to give up... and it's so much fun hunting them down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    N30V3N0M
    Steam
    N30V3N0M

Crackdown is childish!? Wtf!? Then how come it is rated "M"? Anyways, with the downloadable content, Crackdown becomes even better. I didn't even look at the Halo 3 beta when I got it. LoL Didn't bother checking either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Good to hear, as I've been eyeing this lately since it dropped to that magical sub-$20 pricepoint used. Looks like I'll be picking this up on Friday. I was a bit cynical about it when they bundled in the Halo 3 beta, as it seemed like a desperation move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    N30V3N0M
    Steam
    N30V3N0M

Quote Originally Posted by Half Japanese View Post
    Good to hear, as I've been eyeing this lately since it dropped to that magical sub-$20 pricepoint used. Looks like I'll be picking this up on Friday. I was a bit cynical about it when they bundled in the Halo 3 beta, as it seemed like a desperation move.
    The downloadable content is like 800 points (if I remember) but IMO it's worth it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ROTS MKII: You're on the wrong message board, buddy. Go find a new one, please.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is ROTS MKII Rugal Sizzler come back home for a visit? Sure makes about as much sense.

Anyway, I love Crackdown, one of my faves from 07, for sure...

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

I was going to make an absurd flame about the apparent toolbox posting useless jibberish in this thread but why bother? Crackdown is such an awesome game that it makes him completely unimportant.

The level of freedom this game affords you, especially in the late game, is just so much fun. The vertical platforming was such a nice challenge; it really provided a nice break from hunting bad guys. Driving around town was fun as hell, especially on the highways. Even when I wanted to take a break from that, I enjoyed jumping on top of a car and just relaxing as I was driven, well, wherever. The weapons did get a little broken after a while (homing missiles, I'm looking in your direction), but it still retained its fun factor for a long time after it started. I plan on going back at some point and doing it again, I know there are lots of things I missed the first time around. Maybe I'll do some co-op, too.