Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Lots of trade-ins on this busy Saturday, I'll pick out a few interesting ones.

PS1 Syndicate Wars (complete) - I've never seen this game before! One of several interesting PS1 games from the same customer.

SNES Super Mario World (complete) - I don't get boxed Mario Worlds too often. It's the greatest hits version, is that the only way the game was distributed in a box?

GameCube Ocarina & Master Quest (complete) - and in minty condition too. Always a favorite among our Nintendo fanbase.

Odyssey2 Conquest of the World (complete) - amazingly, complete. This is one of those extra-large box sets with lots of pieces, game board and O2 keyboard overlay. Probably the best item from one customer's huge pile of junk, most of which was non-working O2 and Intellivision systems (salvaged 2 O2's total). Nice piece.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post
    PS1 Syndicate Wars (complete) - I've never seen this game before! One of several interesting PS1 games from the same customer.
    That was a game I had never seen in person until I had moved out to Chicago. Once there I found three copies quite quickly and bought em all. I've not seen any copies out in stores since then either.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

mario world exists in a greatest hits and regular box, it was avialable about a year after the system was released.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Super Mario World was available in the Non-Greatest hits for awhile. I picked this one up a few years after the original release of the SNES. This was after the release of the Donkey Kong set. (My first SNES)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    I've had multiple choices to pick up Gradius V complete for really, really cheap. I used to see it all over the place. Maybe I should've jumped when I had the chance.
    The same can be said about R-Type Final and Gradius III/IV, they used to be all over the place, now,you'll be lucky to find it used in store. I just picked up the last copy of Raiden III from Gamedude and I expect this game to end up the same rarity as Gradius V.

What's the prospect of Chaos Field? I see a few new copies at K-Mart, will it be as rare? Like Ikaruga (which I should've kept the 2nd copy)?

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't know about Chaos Field. The copy I bought at Funcoland about 6 or 7 weeks ago is the only copy I've seen (or remember seeing). But if it's anything like Ikaruga it's most certainly not rare. Ikaruga is one of those perceived rarities that you just don't see often because everyone wants it ala Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (PS2). It keeps it's value because of the demand but copies are always within reach on the net.

It's funny. For all the grief Ebay gets it's thanks to Ebay that prices are as low as they are. Imagine what Gamestop could get away with charging for Marvel vs. Capcom 2 if there were no internet for people to turn to.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 02-17-2008 at 07:51 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

gamestop charges 80$ for Marvel vs Capcom 2... fyi.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quite an amazing sales weekend. I'm guessing this is the beginning of tax refund time. Trade-ins have been pretty good too.

PS1 Vandal Hearts 2 (complete) - I like listing the games that we don't see very often. Not necessarily rare, but uncommon to THIS store. This is one of those times.

The same person traded in:

PS1 Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3 (complete) - as well as a few other decent titles. The fact that Gamestop doesn't take PS1 or N64 games in particular makes our place a magnet for this populated northern NJ area. We get lots of good titles in but they're also never there for long as most savvy gamers in the area check in at least once a week. These won't last the week.

We also got a 360 traded in today. Suddenly we have overstock on these, six used premiums and one used arcade altogether.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    gamestop charges 80$ for Marvel vs Capcom 2... fyi.
    Yeah, and imagine how much higher it would be without the internet. When the most efficient way to procure a copy is scour the nearby Gamestops as often as possible. They would be able to sell the damn thing for $150. For that Ebay is a blessing. More supply readily available = more satiated demand = lower prices on the whole.

The fact that Gamestop doesn't take PS1 or N64 games in particular makes our place a magnet for this populated northern NJ area.
    Are they also no longer taking GCN games? Over the last two months I witnessed every Gamestop in the area go from having at least one full shelf of games steadily decrease supply down to maybe half a shelf. Some now have a grand total of 5 to 10 games (half of which being multiple copies of Geist and Wind Waker). I can't imagine there not being a healthier stock if Gamestop weren't giving the axe to trade-ins. But considering the Wii is 100% backwards compatible, I fail to see the logic in doing so at the moment.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 02-17-2008 at 08:51 PM.

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

My guess is that taking Gamecube isn't bringing in the bucks. Due to the internets (as stated before) and the fact those who do infact use the backward compatibility also usually own the games they're going to do it with anyway.

That's just a guess anyway.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

If GameStop has stopped taking in GameCube that's just more good news for me. GameCube has always done really well at our place. This probably falls along the company lines where PS1 fell in summer of '06, doesn't matter that a newer system still supports it, it's OLD.

OLD is good at the DP store

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If GameStop has stopped taking in GameCube that's just more good news for me. GameCube has always done really well at our place. This probably falls along the company lines where PS1 fell in summer of '06, doesn't matter that a newer system still supports it, it's OLD.

OLD is good at the DP store
    Yeah but isn't the Xbox just as old (at least in the U.S.)? Why drop GCN and not Xbox? Speaking of Xbox, you know what I noticed? Gamestop has a strange habit of taking in those Outlaw Golf expansions (Holiday Golf, 9 Holes of Xmas, etc.) and then mysteriously lose the disc. It's happened to me at least 5 or 6 times where I'd take up a copy to the counter and they don't have the game. But then the next week I'd see a freshly traded copy...only for them to again not have the disc. What is it about those games that Gamestop can't keep track of the discs?
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 02-17-2008 at 10:10 PM.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Yeah but isn't the Xbox just as old (at least in the U.S.)? Why drop GCN and not Xbox? Speaking of Xbox, you know what I noticed? Gamestop has a strange habit of taking in those Outlaw Golf expansions (Holiday Golf, 9 Holes of Xmas, etc.) and mysteriously lose the disc. It's happened to me at least 5 times where I'd take up a copy to the counter and they don't have the game. But then the next week I'd see a freshly traded copy...only for them to again not have the disc. What is it about those games that Gamestop can't keep track of the discs?
    Don't know about the "Outlaw" series but from what I can tell original Xbox games are hot on the heels of the GameCube as far as trade-ins go there. It seems like they're blowing them out, which is a good sign that all of those games are going to end up in centralized locations before evaporating completely.

I still have a pretty good original XBox customer base. I keep squishing it down as the 360 games get discounted, but it's almost time to dedicate an area to GameCube and XBox (one) as other classic systems have in the store. The first "next generation" for the store is upon us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Don't know about the "Outlaw" series but from what I can tell original Xbox games are hot on the heels of the GameCube as far as trade-ins go there. It seems like they're blowing them out, which is a good sign that all of those games are going to end up in centralized locations before evaporating completely.
    Yeah, it's just weird because it's not just one store. Every single Gamestop does it constantly and only with those games.

I still have a pretty good original XBox customer base. I keep squishing it down as the 360 games get discounted, but it's almost time to dedicate an area to GameCube and XBox (one) as other classic systems have in the store. The first "next generation" for the store is upon us.
    It's crazy. My cousin is 10 years old and he plays a lot of games but I have to remind myself that to him the Saturn is ancient. I remember getting teary-eyed when I realized the SNES was dead and now to see the Xbox and GCN go the way of "classic" is just strange. It makes me think of that scene in Back to the Future Part II where Marty was playing Wild Gunman and those kids were like "You mean you have to use your hands?"

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

The blockbuster outlaw games don't have a sku in thier system, so the disks end up getting lost somewhere due to lazy employees not taking the extra minute to put them where they shoudl go, I had a biiiitch of a time picking them all up via gamestop (only missing one cover varient now) next time you are search for em try having the peon behind the desk look at ALL the outlaw games in the drawers its probably there.

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

It makes me think of that scene in Back to the Future Part II where Marty was playing Wild Gunman and those kids were like "You mean you have to use your hands?"
    I tell ya, if those kids were real and not actors I'd punch them in the face.

I'm pretty sure we are all familiar with this rant. Show of hands?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256 View Post
    The blockbuster outlaw games don't have a sku in thier system, so the disks end up getting lost somewhere due to lazy employees not taking the extra minute to put them where they shoudl go, I had a biiiitch of a time picking them all up via gamestop (only missing one cover varient now) next time you are search for em try having the peon behind the desk look at ALL the outlaw games in the drawers its probably there.
    True. They did this when I was buying out my Gamestop of their Dreamcast games. Most of them ended up in the PS2 games... And, yes, almost accidentally gave me a PS2 game instead of the Dreamcast... It was Crazy Taxi 2 I believe... they almost gave me Mojo...
    Last edited by otoko; 02-18-2008 at 01:10 AM.

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

Lots of trade-ins on this busy Saturday, I'll pick out a few interesting ones.

Its one of the few games that used to be common in the game wasteland that is Alabama. I used to see it all the time, but never with a manual.
    www.famicomshop.com -best place for famicom stuff. Run by a DP member.
    Radiant's Ongoing Ebay Auctions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are they also no longer taking GCN games? Over the last two months I witnessed every Gamestop in the area go from having at least one full shelf of games steadily decrease supply down to maybe half a shelf. Some now have a grand total of 5 to 10 games (half of which being multiple copies of Geist and Wind Waker). I can't imagine there not being a healthier stock if Gamestop weren't giving the axe to trade-ins. But considering the Wii is 100% backwards compatible, I fail to see the logic in doing so at the moment.
    The guy at the local EB said that they are indeed phasing out GC games. Some of the smaller stores have around here (Minneapolis) already stopped carrying them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At the local gamestops around my place they have started placing the gamecube and xbox games on racks in the middle of the store and given the wall space to the newer systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most of the GameStops in my area are placing the Gamecube games on those racks as well, though some still have them on the wall. It seems like almost every GS has all their original Xbox games in the big bins. The Gamecube selection is pretty low at some stores (and not just GameStops) and then there's still quite a good selection at others.

Fred Meyer is phasing out Gamecube (and GBA) stuff as well. I don't think any of the local FMs have Gamecube games in the locked cases anymore. What's left at most of the stores I've visited recently are clearance games and whatever's in the budget racks.

I'd be surprised if this wasn't the year that GS finally stopped taking in and selling Game Boy and GBC games. Even the A+ titles are cheap (for example, Donkey Kong '94 is $4.99). Get 'em while you can.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.