Thread: SMT: Devil Summoner

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default SMT: Devil Summoner

I just picked up SMT: Devil Sumoner new for $20 at gamestop. Now pretty much all the other SMT games all sell for more than that, used even. Is it so cheap because it sucks? or is it cheap because it wasn't as limited as other Atlus and SMT games?

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

I believe Devil Summoner and Digital Devil Saga 2 are the ones that are the most common now and run around that price. Digital Devil Saga I (Limited Edition especially), SMT: Nocturne, and now Persona 3 comman a higher priced even for used copies. Its just a matter of the first two having a larger print run I guess...
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Simply put, Devil Summoner is cheaper than the other PS2 Shin Megami Tensei games because there is less demand. The main factors: according to the Atlus.com forum (R.I.P. temporarily) they made more copies than the previous three. No one knows how many (except Atlus themselves). The success of Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga kind of took them by surprise I suppose. Also, the gameplay is action-based and therefore doesn't fit as nicely into the traditional turn-based SMT RPG style.

It's a good game, but not as good as the other 4 SMT games on the PS2.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidPolicenaut View Post
    Digital Devil Saga I (Limited Edition especially)
    Minor quibble...

There was only one version of DDS1 released in the US (the quote above implies that there were two). It was never referred to or marketed as "limited", it just came with a soundtrack CD and a cardboard slipcover, which was meant to house the two DDS games.

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Minor quibble...

There was only one version of DDS1 released in the US (the quote above implies that there were two). It was never referred to or marketed as "limited", it just came with a soundtrack CD and a cardboard slipcover, which was meant to house the two DDS games.
    Aw crap, you're right. DDS 1 and Persona 3 have extra goodies but thats the only way they were released. Didint mean to add confusion....
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

ahhhh that could be why, its not really the same as the other SMT games gameplay wise. Well I guess that explains it, larger print run, maybe not as popular as the other games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    ahhhh that could be why, its not really the same as the other SMT games gameplay wise. Well I guess that explains it, larger print run, maybe not as popular as the other games.
    Devil Summoner is my favorite SMT game thus far. The writing is absolutely top notch and while the combat is fairly straightforward and not nearly as well developed as, say Star Ocean 3, is still decently enjoyable. Really though, the dialog alone is amongst the best I've seen in console RPGs.

Reminds me that I need to finish the game still...I'm a little over halfway through before I got the whole "ohh shiny!" thing going on with something else. Great buy at $20, and the dollars:fun ratio is leaps and bounds better than Nocturne or DDS.

Also, why would they do a larger print run of the DDS sequel over the first game? That doesn't make a lick of sense.

If you find a loose DDS at Gamestop for ~$40 or whatever, you can order all of the missing pieces (slipcase artwork, box, included bonus goodies, etc) for a whopping total of like $11 shipped, btw. I love that Atlus does that for people...most companies either don't return your emails or send you some generic denial letter when you ask to order bits and pieces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Also, why would they do a larger print run of the DDS sequel over the first game? That doesn't make a lick of sense.
    DDS2 didn't have a larger print run than DDS1. What I was referring to was Devil Summoner having a larger print run than DDS1, DDS2, or Nocturne.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    DDS2 didn't have a larger print run than DDS1. What I was referring to was Devil Summoner having a larger print run than DDS1, DDS2, or Nocturne.
    Well now that makes sense

DDS2 seems easy to pick up new since I guess most people wouldn't be terribly interested in scoring it without playing DDS1 first, which I guess is made a bit difficult by it holding its value so darn well.

also, holy shit at DDS1+2 new moving for over $230 shipped. That's just silly.