Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Do the new 360s still self destruct?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Instead of taking it back to EB, send it to Microsoft. They automatically transfer your license over to the new system.
    Sorry, but I'm going to disagree with you.

I did the DRM fix to a new 360. That 360 then proceded to have that 360 have an e74 (iirc) error. Sent for a new box and got the generic b.s. letter stating my licenses were transferred
    So I tested that fact......downloaded the titles from the account management screen and tried to play them offline. Guess what, they were all in Trial mode. So I get to wait about 10 more months to "fix" the problem.

Also as long as there are "launch" systems out there, the RRoD will not go away. Granted the new ones seem to have other issues, not the RRoD.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I am one of the very lucky few

I won my Xbox 360 and got it shipped to me on I do believe three days BEFORE LAUNCH

I play it all the time

I have played it hours on end

I play DVDs, CDs, too

Not a single Red Ring or issue.

If it dies now, it has been a good run, and since It already has been like three years, I will just get an arcade with HD when it kicks the bucket
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yup, stu's right, my halo edition 360 (purchased day of release 9/16/07) died a few days ago while playing soul calibur. it locked up at random (no biggie... it's an MS product, it's SUPPOSED to lock up here and there). turn off and back on... loads dashboard fine, i go to load game... and it locks up again. i turn off and let it sit for a bit. turn back on... splash screen beings to load and then the screen garbles... some vertical lines. turn off, wait longer, turn back on, and.... nothing. center power light turns on, system does not output any signal... i stare at a blue screen on my tv. controller also will not sync to unit. so, i bought a holiday 07 elite bundle later that day. my halo unit is still under warranty, so i've requested it's coffin. i sure hope they send me another halo unit.
    My Website | #VBender | Last.fm
    Part of the #vbender crew
    [21:39] <Ze_ro> Perkar: Put "Official #vbender Slut" in your sig.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

My 'new' refurb's drive just shit the can. My original unit died xmas 07 when the disc drive went out, taking multiple discs with it. They replaced it with a new refurb unit, however it was never right. The disc would screech in the system quite often. Lately it had been spinning up and down for no real reason (even when I was on the dashboard), multiple crashes due to 'dirty' discs that were brand new ect. That one died for good last night. It didn't even last a year from its rebuild date, which was 12/25/07.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Today I had a customer return an Elite they had purchased a month ago because of our little friend, the RROD. He wanted an exchange, and since it was under warranty (90 days...should be 14 but oh well, administration doesn't know what the fuck it's doing) I get a new console and start with the exchange.

The guy wanted me to switch HDD's around because he had it full of his stuff. No problem: I take the new HDD and place it in the damaged unit and the one from the damaged unit in the new console. He then asks if it was possile to turn on the console just to make sure it turned on. So I connected it to a Viera that was behind us, and low and behold...on a NEW Xbox 360...

...RROD!

What the heck!? I was simply amazed. How can a NEW console already give the same problem? So I had to find another console, which thankfully WORKED and exchanged it once again.

I'm sorry, but to see that happen on a new console...even now I am still in shock.

Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    I'm sorry, but to see that happen on a new console...even now I am still in shock.
    I know that I defend the 360 and it's three year warranty, but yeah, that's serious bull. I thought the newer 360s were supposed to be more reliable. And isn't there a brand new chipset now (4th gen)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    He then asks if it was possile to turn on the console just to make sure it turned on. So I connected it to a Viera that was behind us, and low and behold...on a NEW Xbox 360...

...RROD!

What the heck!? I was simply amazed. How can a NEW console already give the same problem? So I had to find another console, which thankfully WORKED and exchanged it once again.
    Is the Xbox 360 this generation's Coleco Adam?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Is the Xbox 360 this generation's Coleco Adam?
    quote of the truth. Gosh dang I wish MS would get their shit together and make a reliable system. I am like the only one out of all my friends that has a working system. Only a matter of time....

With that being said, their game lineup this holiday is really good. I think when this whole hardware issue is over and done, MS will have been sued like 100 more times. I think this will definitely affect their fan base on the next console they make. I know that I wont probably be buying another launch system again.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    alxbly
    PSN
    alxbly

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    I think this will definitely affect their fan base on the next console they make. I know that I wont probably be buying another launch system again.
    I think it's already affected their fan base. I know of at least three people who would have bought a 360 if it hadn't been for the bad press about hardware reliability. These people have now or are now buying PS3's instead and I'm sure a lot of people are buying PS3s over 360's for the same reasons.

And I can see why. Comparing the consoles side by side (I own all three of this gens consoles), the PS3 feels like a much better quality machine. If I think of the games I've enjoyed this generation, a lot of them have been available on both the 360 and the PS3. So, what does it boil down to? Price? The 360 has all the "hidden" extras: pay extra for the wireless bridge adapter, pay for the (superior but not all that superior) online service, rechargable batteries... it all adds up. But despite this the 360 remains my console of choice because it has a better controller, a better achievements system and more exclusives that interest me.

Just wish they'd fix the hardware.
    Last edited by alxbly; 11-08-2008 at 08:56 AM.
    Xbox Live: alxbly | PSN: alxbly | Wii friend code: 2326 4589 7536 6941

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, it's happened to me as well now. My 360 was manufactured 7-21-07. I purchased it from Target on 10-19-07. The unit is one of the newer ones with the HDMI plug.

Was playing Fable 2 last night when suddenly it did exactly what Perkar's machine did. Locked up. Turned it off, then back on. Went to the dashboard and appeared to work alright....but no, it froze again.

Anyway, I made the call to MS for my system's coffin. Funny thing is, I babied the thing. Kept it well ventilated; even had a small fan blowing near it 24/7 to increase air circulation. Ah well.

Oh, and that Target Extended Service Plan I bought with it is useless. They just defer you to Microsoft and won't work with you. Fuckers.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damaramu View Post
    Oh, and that Target Extended Service Plan I bought with it is useless. They just defer you to Microsoft and won't work with you. Fuckers.
    And you have learned the first rule of store-bought warrantys: They are a sucker's bet and useless. Always (ALWAYS) keep your receipts, no matter how long you've had it. (I still have my receipts for my launch day PS2.) With that little piece of paper and enough bitching to the right folks, you can get some justice.

And if not, you go to the manufacturer - which you're apparently doing anyway.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Actually, I STILL have my receipt from that purchase. Maybe I oughta go to Target and request a new 360?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Funny that my gamer tag pic went from Dan Hibiki to what appears to be a tunnel of white light.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My 360, a Pro system I've had since about April of '06, crapped out on me this weekend when I was trying to play Fallout 3. It had been locking up a lot the day before but I thought it was just the game. Sunday, however, it froze and when I turned it back on I had the dreaded red rings.

Did anyone else have a hard time getting MS to replace theirs? I called customer service and talked to this guy from India who had me run through a bunch of different tests to try out the system, trying it with and without a game and turning it on without the hard drive. We got red rings a few times but on the last test my XBOX didn't red ring, it just hung during the animation of that silver X ball. So he told me that they would not replace my Xbox because the warranty expired after a year. I told him that I thought they had expanded it for three years but he said that was just for the RROD, which I wasn't getting now.

I just stayed on the line and insisted to this fellow that I had gotten the RROD even if I wasn't getting it right then. He tried to argue that if I sent it in and they booted it up and didn't immediately see red lights they wouldn't fix it, but eventually he gave up and spent 5 minutes talking to a supervisor or something who must have told him to go ahead with setting up my repair, because he did.

They aren't sending me a "coffin" though. They are supposedly e-mailing me UPS labels I have to print out, although they said that Sunday and haven't done it yet. I have to provide my own box, too.

I think my Xbox was pretty badly fried. I tried it after I got off the phone with the customer service guy and couldn't get anything but the red rings. Heck, when I pick it up it sounds like there's something rattling around in there.

I think this is a good time to go through with my plan of buying a new arcade model with HDMI, although I won't have the cash for it until after the holidays. If the refurb or replacement I get is stable I'll probably just give it to my brother.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by shopkins View Post
    They aren't sending me a "coffin" though. They are supposedly e-mailing me UPS labels I have to print out, although they said that Sunday and haven't done it yet. I have to provide my own box, too.

I think my Xbox was pretty badly fried. I tried it after I got off the phone with the customer service guy and couldn't get anything but the red rings. Heck, when I pick it up it sounds like there's something rattling around in there.
    The same thing happened to me too. I had to front my own box and send it out (bye bye 15 bucks). Dangerboy's unit died a few days after mine did and he did his whole thing online, and they sent him a coffin. So If/when anything else happens to my next unit i'm only going to deal with them online. I had to go through the whole testing process as well, but my drive was dead and not a RRoD issue.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

theyll only fix it if its a rrod. ive read accounts online where people had their 360 die on them, but not got the rrod, so they wrapped it in a towel while its powered on to get the desired effect.

whats funny about the whole system dying thing is how people will curse ms for making a defective console, then say oh well, it had a good run (a year or two) then go out and buy another one! its like rewarding a dog for pissing on the carpet.

Strawberry (Level 2) JunkTheMagicDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shaftinator84

Quote Originally Posted by dairugger View Post
    whats funny about the whole system dying thing is how people will curse ms for making a defective console, then say oh well, it had a good run (a year or two) then go out and buy another one! its like rewarding a dog for pissing on the carpet.
    same as people rebuying ps1 after ps1, or ps2 after ps2. i gave up on ps1, and will eventually buy my fourth ps2 after sony decides to drop the price to $99. really have no choice unless you want to sell the games or let them rot. but like a battered spouse, i keep coming back. btw, my 06 vintage 360 is still going strong :knocks on wood: