Thread: Flea Markets?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Flea Markets?

I signed up for a booth at our flea market this Saturday, only $25 I'm hoping it will be a good way to get rid of some of the stuff that isn't ebayable... like commonish nes games for $4 or 3 for $10? We're also taking comics, other games, Pooh and Friends figurines, windchimes, Fenton glass, 80's toys, etc.
    Has anyone else tried selling at flea markets before? Any tips? Also when you go to them what do you hope to find that isn't there?
    The Tulsa one is in the expo center and generally upscaley ranging from antiques to beanie babies. There isn't much middle ground, and we hope to fill that void a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know when I am shopping at the flea market what catches my eye is decent prices and signs which tell me how much things are. Sounds like you have a good idea of this. I know I see several people looking at NES games when they are organized in a box and well marked as to what the prices are. Giving a break for those who buy several (As you mentioned 3) is something which always seems to hook me. I think being at a higher end flea market may help. I know I have gone to some and never have found much. I always would hope there would be one or two booths, so I hope you do well! Good luck!

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

LABEL YOUR PRICES.

Everytime I walk by a table that doesn't have SOME sort of GENERAL pricing system, I usually keep walking.

If you absolutely can't price your items, at least KNOW beforehand what you want for them. There's nothing worse then asking "How much for that pogo-stick?" "And hearing, I dunno, what'll you give me" Makes me wanna fucking scream.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    There's nothing worse then asking "How much for that pogo-stick?" "And hearing, I dunno, what'll you give me" Makes me wanna fucking scream.
    Yeah, I really hate that. I just spit out some absurd price like a buck or 25 cents at those responses because it's a definite waste of my time, might as well waste theirs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess flea markets here in WV are a little different, hardly anyone puts prices on stuff. Most everyone there is just looking to get rid of stuff, not make money so even rediculous offers get accepted half the time. All the better for me I suppose

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hang lots of fake Nike gear around your table to draw in people.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As I have done this a couple times last year and will continue to do it this year these are all the tips I can give you:

Have something to draw there attention, even a canopy will work which doubles as shade for you. It makes you stand out from everybody else.

Second make sure you have your prices clearly marked although don't mark anything at the lowest you will go because 70% of the people will try and talk you down

Third: spend a fair amount of time setting up an organized display in which everything is visable so that they don't miss anything. If it is in order they can easily look over everthing. This also helps to draw in there attention.

Fourth: make sure you have a good attitude and down push anybody into buying, just about everybody hates a pushy seller and myself I normaly just walk away from everybody who tries to pressure me into buying them. Also don't sound desprete when you are trying to sell.

fifth: just be friendly and make conversation, don't let it get you down and if you have somebody who is being rude or comments, just ignore them (unless there positive comments) I had one guy who said good luck ever gettin $50 for that piece of junk, then a dealer came along and bought it!

Sixth: make sure you check out and make sure that the fleamarket has the market for your stuff. I have seen somepeople not even make back the cost of there table. I however have never made under $275.

Good luck selling!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Ghsqb

Zaxxon
    PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:10 pm Post subject:
    Ahh the staple of the flea market.

There is one around here that is full of this stuff.
    They've got shoes with a slightly different swoosh and the name "Nikee" yes, two e's.

People just buy this stuff up.
    Sadly for us, the fleas around here are bone dry.
    Over saturation of collectors in this market.
    Hmmmm.....(ponders the merits of "Atarii carts".... )

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ghsqb
    Zaxxon
    PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:10 pm Post subject:
    Ahh the staple of the flea market.

There is one around here that is full of this stuff.
    They've got shoes with a slightly different swoosh and the name "Nikee" yes, two e's.
    )

around here is "air" or "nk air"

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been to those kind of flea markets, I bought a knock off Hello Kitty mexican bank from a lady that didn't speak english. But maybe "swap meet where noone swaps stuff and soccer moms and the like come to buy antiques, collectables, metal garden items, vegetables, etc." is a better description of this one