Thread: First time run through of Chrono Trigger

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default First time run through of Chrono Trigger

I've had this in my backlog for awhile now and finally decided to play it. I traded a copy of FFVII (PC version) for it. Sadly, it was cart only. I'm going to add this to my list of games I want have complete. That and I need a replacement disk 2 for Valkyrie Profile on the ps1.

So far, I've really enjoyed it. I wish I would have had a SNES when this came out. It's too bad I didn't realize I liked RPGs till I played FFX on the PS2. I'm at the point where you get the time ship. I was wondering who you guys had in your party? I have Chrono, Maryle, and Ayla. I was also wondering if there was a prefered ending?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

you want to level up ayla as much as you can, she eventually learns an ability called charm that works on every enemy in the game and makes them give you an item, its the only way to get many items (inclduing a ton of "tabs" in the final area. takes a long time for her to learn it but its very worth it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Chrono Trigger is my favorite RPG on the system (and of all time, and also my third favorite SNES game, behind Super Mario World and Super Metroid). I want to play through it again, it's been a couple years. I don't remember who I had in my party when I got the time ship.

(I know I had Chrono, though. )
    Last edited by DigitalSpace; 01-18-2008 at 07:54 PM.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The ending you probably want is the one where you go through the Black Omen and fight your way to Lavos that way - so it opens up New Game+

The best ending I think is to crash the Epoch into Lavos. Otherwise the ending is a kind of boring watching the Epoch drive around type thing.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My wife just bought me Chrono Trigger for Christmas. It's one rpg that I've never gotten around to, but really look forward to playing. I've barely started it as of yet. I wannna see what all of the love for this game is about. So many people name it as their fave rpg of all time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's another thing - the multiple endings are one hell of a nice treat. Make sure you see them all.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All of the normal endings are close to the same, so just do it however you want. As for a "best party," there really isn't one. I've beaten the game with all sorts of combinations, and it's not really harder or easier with certain characters. Choose the characters you're most comfortable with. That's the best party.

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessChris View Post
    The ending you probably want is the one where you go through the Black Omen and fight your way to Lavos that way - so it opens up New Game+
    I could've sworn that you get New Game+ no matter how you beat the game, just as long as you beat it.

OP, make sure you do the New Game+ too, because that's how you get all the crazy endings.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The characters in the game are pretty well balanced so any party will really "do" but some characters pair up better. A lot of people will tell you a Crono, Magus, Ayla team is the best. That's true in one sense and not true in another. That party has the highest damage potential but remember that Magus doesn't have any dual techs and this party has no triple tech. Plus, the team has no healing power whatsoever. This is really a party that will be great at higher levels but the game is so easy that any party will be fine at higher levels.

A great team for a lower level is Crono, Frog, Robo. Reason being, their triple tech (Triple Raid) is a physical attack that only targets a single enemy making it useful against any boss. It's also pretty strong. Frog and Robo can heal the entire party about 80% with one of their dual techs (Cure Wave). And when they do this, Crono can nail people with some of his stronger techs. This is all dandy but their real greatness comes in the form of their MP use. Triple Raid costs 2 MP for Crono and Frog and 4 MP for Robo. Cure Wave costs 5 MP for Frog and 3 MP for Robo. This is without any Silver or Gold Studs, too. With the exception of Luminaire, nothing you'll have to do with this party is a drain on MP. You'll never have to cast Frog Squash because Frog's HP should never drop all that low and Robo shouldn't be casting Shock.

But, yeah, the game is really really easy. It's pretty hard to be underleveled, too. So your party really doesn't matter a whole lot. There are some boss fights where some pairings make it easier though but they're few and far between. The best example is the Golem Twins. They're a joke with Crono and Ayla's Falcon Hit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Plus, the team has no healing power whatsoever.
    They have KISS POWAH!

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ah, yes, I forgot Ayla was a little prehistoric whore.

Insert Coin (Level 0) MasterJSP's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mehizzo

Crono, Robo, and Ayla was always my favorite team.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great game, been a while since I have been through it. Not sure if I would say my fave RPG, Secret of Mana may hold that spot for me, both are great.