Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rumor: Factor 5 working on new Kid Icarus for Wii (joystiq)

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Honestly, I feel that when Nintendo outsources its greatest franchises (particularly to Western designers) something gets lost. The Metroid Prime series is okay but something is really off when you compare it to the first few Metroids. The music isn't right, and that just about ruins it. Meanwhile the Gameboy Advance Metroids are all done by the remnants of Gunpei Yokoi's team and they're fantastic. (I'd almost say Zero Mission eclipses Super Metroid.) To me, I consider those GBA games to be the REAL Metroid lineage, and Prime to be an offshoot (the title screen of Metroid Fusion even states "METROID 4".

When the sequels aren't made by the original designers, there's a big potential for them to either suck balls or change in a way that compromise their integrity. I tend to not consider them real sequels. It's just a way for Nintendo to collect money from Metroid (or in this case Kid Icarus) fans.

So, long story short, if a new Kid Icarus isn't developed in Japan, don't expect much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Honestly, I feel that when Nintendo outsources its greatest franchises (particularly to Western designers) something gets lost. The Metroid Prime series is okay but something is really off when you compare it to the first few Metroids. The music isn't right, and that just about ruins it. Meanwhile the Gameboy Advance Metroids are all done by the remnants of Gunpei Yokoi's team and they're fantastic. (I'd almost say Zero Mission eclipses Super Metroid.) To me, I consider those GBA games to be the REAL Metroid lineage, and Prime to be an offshoot (the title screen of Metroid Fusion even states "METROID 4".

When the sequels aren't made by the original designers, there's a big potential for them to either suck balls or change in a way that compromise their integrity. I tend to not consider them real sequels. It's just a way for Nintendo to collect money from Metroid (or in this case Kid Icarus) fans.

So, long story short, if a new Kid Icarus isn't developed in Japan, don't expect much.
    I don't know about that. I love me some Super Metroid, but damn I love the Prime series. It captures Metroid in 3d for me. Metroid is probably my favorite Nintendo series.

Anyway, I hope this is true. While Rogue Squadron 3 was a disappointment, 2 was one of the best games on the GC. Definitely in my top 10.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post

Well, I can't agree with all that. The GBA Metroid stuff I'm with ya on though. I thought the Prime games were a great 3D presentation, save Hunters, though it wasn't bad, it just didn't fit... It actually felt like your standard FPS shoehorned into the Metroid line. The next handheld Metroid game better be 2D and it would be nice if despite it's secondary title it would just be Metroid 5. I guess I agree more than I thought.

It sounds like Kid Icarus on Wii is going to try for the ultimate Nintendo gameplay trifecta. Mario-esque platforming with Zelda's adventure item built up and the shooting madness of Metroid. I only see this as ending up really good or really bad. The blending of the different types of gameplay is going to be the make it or break it line.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 03-24-2008 at 01:15 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have about zero interest in owning a wii...but if Kid Icarus comes out for it and is good, that alone would make me want to own one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    Please, oh please don't make Kid Icarus a friggin first-person game...

With that said, where's Kid Icarus Zero Mission? Just to see the original have the Zero Mission/Bionic Commando/Rondo makeover would rule.

-Rob
    I'm thinking the same thing. I bet they'll make it so unrecognizable that it only resembles the original in name a distant themes.

I'll wait and see but I am far from optimistic figuring the crap that has been the modern Metroid and Mario titles.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!