Thread: Router Probs-FIXED

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Router Probs-FIXED

Until recently (last friday) my router has been working fine in supplying wifi to my Wii and PSP. Now I've been having probs with it for the past week in trying to connect to the internet on both systems I mentioned. Nothing was moved or messed with when this happened and no settings have been recently changed. I've tried restarting the router several times and tried re-installing the software for it. No cigar. I contacted the big N and they said they had no server problems and they suggested that I try contacting my ISP. So I was wondering since that my internet that is directly hooked up on my desktop works fine, but my router is having the issues if it is my router that needs to be looked at.

Thanks!!!

Edit: Simply got a new one....
    Last edited by Atari 5200; 01-28-2008 at 04:27 PM.
    Tea is for terrorists-Leo Laporte

Klingons Invented Saran Wrap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Kumori-kun

I would definitely look at the router, I do internet technical support for a living and I can tell you its a common issue, if you can direct connect and play then thats all that matters. Most routers have a reset on the back in the form of an accual button or a small pin hole that can be reset, I'd suggest trying that. If not call the router manufacturer, worst case you may need a new router, they tend not to last forever
    Some things never die....Give me all your Sega belongings!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmmm....no go.

Thanks for the help. I couldn't get it going so I'm just going to try a new router and go from there.

Just a thought, but what is the chance that it's the Wii itself. Though I highly doubt it's the Wii since all of my other wifi stuff are having the same problem, but I'm just curious...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do IT stuff for a living...

I would update the firmware on the router. If that doesn't seem to do anything, then I agree about getting a new one.

I recommend the Zyxel 550 - it kicks arse. I found it because it's on Microsoft's list of approved Xbox Live routers.
    Need. More. Games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks really cool, but what about the distance it covers? One of the reviews says it's not too good with that. Although it also said it could be from where he placed it.

Does yours work very well from where you have yours?

Thanks!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, I have a humungo house, and it has the best range out of all the routers I've tried. I don't even have it centrally located - it's in the far corner of my basement, and I can get signal throughout the whole house.

Quote Originally Posted by Atari 5200 View Post
    Looks really cool, but what about the distance it covers? One of the reviews says it's not too good with that. Although it also said it could be from where he placed it.

Does yours work very well from where you have yours?

Thanks!!!
    Need. More. Games.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What ever you do, stay away from Trendnet. I'm a network technician myself, and as part of what I do, I test all sorts of routers and wireless cards/USB/etc..

Trendnet just have horrible cheap products. The router tends to crash under heavy load, constantly reboots even with no load, and their wifi cards and USB dongles always have poor reception and down clock to even 1Mbps...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Kumori-kun

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    What ever you do, stay away from Trendnet. I'm a network technician myself, and as part of what I do, I test all sorts of routers and wireless cards/USB/etc..

Trendnet just have horrible cheap products. The router tends to crash under heavy load, constantly reboots even with no load, and their wifi cards and USB dongles always have poor reception and down clock to even 1Mbps...
    What he says is definitely true, although even big name routers can still crash under a heavy load. IE running Wii/PS3/360 online while doing anything on your PC or running multiple systems online, some routers will buckle under the pressure of downloaded music or torrents. It depends on the firmware and model. The Zyxel router Schen mentions is a worthy investment.
    Some things never die....Give me all your Sega belongings!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One thing I didn't see was does a regular wired ethernet connection work on it?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamc@sting View Post
    What he says is definitely true, although even big name routers can still crash under a heavy load. IE running Wii/PS3/360 online while doing anything on your PC or running multiple systems online, some routers will buckle under the pressure of downloaded music or torrents. It depends on the firmware and model. The Zyxel router Schen mentions is a worthy investment.
    Another thing that can crash a router, is how much memory the router has to buffer the packets.

I have a nice router at my house, with 128MB buffer memory (big cisco gear), that never crashes, but then again, it's made not too.

Anyway, Linksys ones can crash, and they usually don't come back up at all until you poke it (reset). AT&T Plug and Share? Make a guess why that division closed. It only had 64KB buffer memory, it was a pitiful piece of equipment.