Thread: Replacing laser assembly in original PSX

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Replacing laser assembly in original PSX

I bought this old PSX for really cheap because it had a mod chip in it. It barely worked when I bought it, but I managed to nurse it back and use it for a while. I tried it again after a hiatus of several months and it appears that the CD barely spins in the drive. I tried messing with the motor but I just screwed it up more and it now doesn't spin at all. I am wondering if I can take the laser assembly out of any other cheap Playstation and replace this one. Are there different "models" of the PSX laser? Mine happens to be the really old PSX with the RCA ports in the back. Also, how can the laser assembly be removed? The ribbon cable seems stuck into the mother board really tight, and I am afraid of breaking something.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDragon View Post
    I bought this old PSX for really cheap because it had a mod chip in it. It barely worked when I bought it, but I managed to nurse it back and use it for a while. I tried it again after a hiatus of several months and it appears that the CD barely spins in the drive. I tried messing with the motor but I just screwed it up more and it now doesn't spin at all. I am wondering if I can take the laser assembly out of any other cheap Playstation and replace this one. Are there different "models" of the PSX laser? Mine happens to be the really old PSX with the RCA ports in the back. Also, how can the laser assembly be removed? The ribbon cable seems stuck into the mother board really tight, and I am afraid of breaking something.
    yeah there are a few models of PS1 lasers. you wont damage anything by pulling out the ribbon cable, just do it carefully and grasp it close to the lil connector. i think a new laser assembly is like 20$ or so online. look around and you can find one, just find the right model #
    you also lucked out, the SCPH-1001 is the best PS1 for playing audio CDs in (better sound quality from what i hear)
    meow :3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Frankly, I just want another PSX that can play backups of games, since most of my games are in a different household. If it would be easier to move the modchip to a newer PSX, I would just do that. The chip has 5 wires coming out of it, but the chip was wrapped in electrical tape so I didn't get a good look at it. Will this chip work with different models of the PSX?
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDragon View Post
    Frankly, I just want another PSX that can play backups of games, since most of my games are in a different household. If it would be easier to move the modchip to a newer PSX, I would just do that. The chip has 5 wires coming out of it, but the chip was wrapped in electrical tape so I didn't get a good look at it. Will this chip work with different models of the PSX?
    i dont see why not. it is more than likely an older chip. id reccomend getting a newer stealth chip if you wanna play the later games that have antimod protections. modchip.ca sells a good one for like 15$ prewired and has the install info on their site, its only a 6-7 wire install and works great. i bought one there a while ago
    EDIT: here's a link to the page http://www.modchip.ca/store/product....cat=256&page=1
    Last edited by SnowKitty; 01-26-2008 at 11:17 PM.
    meow :3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, that looks like the chip that is in mine. It was an odd number of wires, and now I think it was 7. The only difference I can see is that mine was in black tape.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can use just about any model laser assembly in any other model. The only difference seems to be lenth of wires. My SCPH-1001 is outfitted with a 7501 drive, and it works like new.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I second that. I think all the laser assemblies are the same and are a snap to exchange.
    -
    Pete Rittwage
    C64 Preservation Project
    http://c64preservation.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSOne questions

I just bought a PSone at a yardsale. When it powers up, it goes to a tiled screen where two tiles say Memory Card and CD player, each message is in its own tile. Also, it doesnt sound as if the disc is moving. Should I replace the laser assembly? and if so, do I have to buy a used one or could I use one from an old Audio CD player?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

It has to be a compatible unit in order for it to work.

Fortunately, they are extremely cheap and well worth it.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Thanks its working

I Tried a ridiculous thing I read about some playstations not working unless they are upside down and it worked! now its even working right side up really strange...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found this while googling... I replaced it with a drive from a 7000 ps1, Had to do some moddifications, all the new drives have some sorth of legs to rise the drive unit up, so what you gotta do is cut them all or take everything apart and replace..... I personally bit them off, didn't feel like risking cutting a finger off and didn't want to go through the trouble of taking the whole unit apart. Also you gotta change the top basel of the cd drive unit because the one from 1001 its somewhat smaller on one of the sides, just unscrew it, push it to the side and pull up.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Scph-7001

Anyone know which laser assembly to replace the SCPH-7001 or 7501 series?
    KSM-440 ACM, ADM, AEM, BAM

Which one?

Thanks