Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Final Fantasy III (SNES) vs. Final Fantasy VI Advance (GBA)?

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256 View Post
    SPOILER ALERT!

(course if you havn't beaten the game by now...blah blah you've been warned)

basicly the hack allows you to once you've gotten to the world of ruin you can go into the training room in narshe ,if you talk to the guy at the desk he'll ask you if you want to do a new game+, which will put you back at the beggining of the game back at level 1 BUT you'll have all your stats (not hp/mp remeber how the stat system works in the game you can only increase your stats via espers) you'll have all your items espers and learned spells. Its a very well done and glitch free hack, you can finally complete a full set of items and espers as well as get multiple paladin shields ragnaroks iullumins atma weapons and other rare trinkets, not to mention you can really customize godlike charecters. its honestly a feature the original game should have had and more so the gba version.
    Wow, sounds like the new game+ from CT, except cooler!
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ADG566 View Post
    Get the SNES version!
    First of all, the audio is 5X better, and fuller. These games are basically silent films, audio is hugely important.
    Kefka's laugh is Kefka's laugh, not some half-assed thing in the GBA verison.
    SECOND of all, the GBA version is sooo much easier, they made the game much easier beceause they don't want people running down their batteries levelling up or facing a challenge.
    The SNES version keeps the integrity of the game, while the GBA version is for kindergarden.
    i have played and own both, i don't really agree with this. i suspect the SNES audio is better, but I've only played the GBA version on a GBA micro, never on a TV.

i am almost 100% sure that the GBA version is NOT easier. the only thing that made it easier when I played through it (in the fall) was that I wasn't 14 anymore like I was when FF3 originally came out. Therefore, I had more patience to not run from 90% of random battles, and thus my characters were at higher levels than they would have been in 1995.

one thing the GBA version has on the SNES version is that they fixed some glitches (including the "Sketch" glitch, which would sometimes mess up the game and force you to reset)

that said, I am a purist and if I could only keep one, I'd keep the SNES version...mostly just because I played the F out of that game in the mid-90s and it is a nostalgia thing.

bottom line, in my opinion there is really not too much difference between the two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by strassy View Post
    i am almost 100% sure that the GBA version is NOT easier.
    Agreed. The GBA version is not easier at all. Actually, it's harder in some respects due to the fact that you can't use the vanish/doom thing.

The audio was optimized to sound decent coming out of the GBA's tiny little speakers. It sounds a bit muffled on a surround sound system (if you were going to play it on the Game Boy Player for example), but wasn't a huge issue to my ears.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ADG566 View Post
    Get the SNES version!
    First of all, the audio is 5X better, and fuller. These games are basically silent films, audio is hugely important.
    Kefka's laugh is Kefka's laugh, not some half-assed thing in the GBA verison.
    So so true. Super Nintendo has such beautiful 16-bit sound - why would you muffle it through a GBA speaker?

And:

If you're worried about losing a gamesave, play the PS1 version where you can save on multiple cards (the original and a backup). Or on an emulator with the same options.
    Last edited by veronica_marsfan; 02-09-2008 at 12:58 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

sorry for the long wait, I dug around in my snes folders and definatly found the patched rom, and I think the ips patch was in the same folder, I stuck it up here with a few save states to show what you can do if you have a sick amount of time (and a speed throtle key)

http://www.green-ranger.com/nes/ff3/

i just wish i remeber the web site i got it from, a very well done site that had a neat list of where all the chests were, including the one unobtainable chest with the sprint shoes early early in the game.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As noted in 1 of the posts above, there's a PS version too.

But that's pretty much an exact port from the SNES. Well I recall there was a bestiary, plus a few cutscenes in FMV.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

...and long load times, i believe

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Agreed. The GBA version is not easier at all. Actually, it's harder in some respects due to the fact that you can't use the vanish/doom thing.

The audio was optimized to sound decent coming out of the GBA's tiny little speakers. It sounds a bit muffled on a surround sound system (if you were going to play it on the Game Boy Player for example), but wasn't a huge issue to my ears.
    are the GBA versions of the first couple FF's easier? or am i thinking of the PS1 port of the origional?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PS1 FF1+2 has, for FF1 an easy mode and a normal mode. In the GBA version they force you to use the easy mode.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Every remake of 1 and 2 were made MMMMMMMMMMUCH easier in many many ways, the gba 2 pack is unfortuatnly the worst o the bunch, even with the extra "hard" dungeons its a joke dificultywise, without doing any leveling up in 1 I was able to beat the whole game just by walking from point a to point b, aside from the random rub spell none of my charecters ever died or even came close to dying in the real game or the extra dungeons (seriously what the fuck is up with giving you several staffs that cast flare/nuke for free?) ff2 for gameboy is uber dumbed down as well ,although for a short time the bonus dungeon has a small degree of challenge till you pick up a certain item for each charecter at the halfway point or so, then it becomes ridiculously easy again., 4 ,5 and 6 have thier original dificulty intact (japanese not us) and 4 is based off the japanese "hardtype" version not the easytype or pussytype (us) versions.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I picked up FFIII for the snes today. I had this whole bundle of guides I couldn't get much interest on in the trade forums, so I took it to McVans. They only took half of the guides, but I got $4 for each and ended up with $44 in credit. I had $12 in credit after getting FFIII. I don't normally like the idea of paying that much for older games, but finding snes stuff at garage sales and thrift stores is difficult in this area.

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256 View Post
    Every remake of 1 and 2 were made MMMMMMMMMMUCH easier in many many ways, the gba 2 pack is unfortuatnly the worst o the bunch, even with the extra "hard" dungeons its a joke dificultywise, without doing any leveling up in 1 I was able to beat the whole game just by walking from point a to point b, aside from the random rub spell none of my charecters ever died or even came close to dying in the real game or the extra dungeons (seriously what the fuck is up with giving you several staffs that cast flare/nuke for free?) ff2 for gameboy is uber dumbed down as well ,although for a short time the bonus dungeon has a small degree of challenge till you pick up a certain item for each charecter at the halfway point or so, then it becomes ridiculously easy again., 4 ,5 and 6 have thier original dificulty intact (japanese not us) and 4 is based off the japanese "hardtype" version not the easytype or pussytype (us) versions.
    whats about the PSP FF 1 and II? i know they even have more bonus stuff but how are those difficulty wise?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by erehwon View Post
    Well, I picked up FFIII for the snes today. I had this whole bundle of guides I couldn't get much interest on in the trade forums, so I took it to McVans. They only took half of the guides, but I got $4 for each and ended up with $44 in credit. I had $12 in credit after getting FFIII. I don't normally like the idea of paying that much for older games, but finding snes stuff at garage sales and thrift stores is difficult in this area.
    There's a store near here that sells loose FF3 carts ... (wait for it) ... $99.99!!! Yupp, that's right. $100.00. They've got about 20 of em. The guy must see them as his retirement nest egg.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

You must be thinking of Final Fantasy Chronicles, the load times for Chrono Trigger can be pretty rough, it's especially noticable when going into the character menu. With FF Anthology, I think there's a 1 second pause (if that) for battles, other than that it runs smoothly.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript View Post
    whats about the PSP FF 1 and II? i know they even have more bonus stuff but how are those difficulty wise?
    just as easy as the gba ones, aside from prettier graphics (slighly) they are virtally the same, big disaponitment espeicaly since they are 30$ a pop.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anybody else wish they would just make a different game similar to ff1 but without retreading the same game over and over? Remakes are cool when they add cool stuff and great graphics like the Dragon Quest 3 remake, but endless crappy remakes are uh crappy. Every FF1+2 remake from PS, GBA, PSP could easily be much better graphics and bonuses-wise but just sucks hard turds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

so buy a game from a different franchise? theres a boatload of decent to excelent rpgs on the gba/ds and psp currnetly, just because its not square doesn't mean it sucks :-). I have noticed the last few new final fantasy games have been awfully mediocre (ff11 ff12 and that new ds one have been beyond awfull)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well recently I've been working through stuff like Super Robot Wars: Original Generations (PS2) and Langrisser 4+5 (PS1), but those are SRPGs. I haven't seen any good non-remake console RPGs in a good long time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

try the suikoden series, dragon warrior/quest, if you have access to a 360 blue dragon is very decent and that last odessyy game looks interesting as well.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Turn on the "fast load" option on your PS2, and the slow load times on Final Fantasy 6 disappear.