Thread: GBA Hidden Gems

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    gutpocket

Quote Originally Posted by darkhades View Post
    Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 & 2. Prob my favorite GBA games.
    As I said before in the post. These games are great! Especially the 2nd one. To bad the 3rd one was never released here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I finally added a list to the first post. I left out a few games that I felt were a little too well known (notably Pinball of the Dead, Sigma Star Saga, Racing Gears Advance, Gunstar Super Heroes, and Astro Boy, which ended up on a lot of "best of" lists the year it came out).

Let's keep this going!

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also, I know Guardian Heroes (or a version of it) was released for this system. Any good?

Retro Garden - Retro Games blog and Retro Gaming Forum!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My God, what's Strike Force Hydra doing on ANYBODY'S want list? Have you even played the game?

It's bad.

My votes: Max Payne, all the Klonoa games (although I haven't played them all, it isn't a franchise that's done me wrong).

Also, needs moar Gradius Galaxies. You jokers need to pick games that are actually GOOD and IN DEMAND

Quote Originally Posted by retrogarden View Post
    Also, I know Guardian Heroes (or a version of it) was released for this system. Any good?
    Not especially. Not the worst game on the system by a long shot, of course!

Good thing Astro Boy and Gunstar Super Heroes are both great and common + cheap.

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Is there something in particular that the GBA version of Bookworm offers that the PC version does not?
    I don't believe so, but its just as fun as playing on the PC.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Hidden Game Boy Advance Gems?

So here's the thing: just about the only type of "classic" game that Gamestop or Game Crazy has left are Game Boy Advance games. The problem for me is I don't know many of the "under the radar" games for this system. I have lucked out with one game, Sabre Wulf, developed by Rare. It's a very cool and stylistic platformer with impressive graphics for the GBA, and a neat stage concept. You have to get to the end of the stage, steal something, and then run all the way back while being chased by the Sabre Wulf. It's definitely a hidden gem, and it only cost me five bucks. Also, I've heard that Spyro: Eternal Night is a great 2D platformer, so I'm gonna keep my eyes out for that.

Any others that you guys can add to my watch list?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Keep an eye out for Ninja Five-O (Or Ninja Cop in Europe), Astro Boy and Drill Dozer. They are all excellent platformers. Go! Go! Beckham is worth getting too, but it's a European exclusive AFAIK.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if you import and like boxing games pick up Hajime No Ippo. It's probably my favorite game for the system.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gunstar Super Heroes

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks guys! I have Gunstar, Ninja Five-O, and Astro Boy (OH MAN that game is good), but I will keep an eye out for Drill Dozer (pretty sure I've seen it, and didn't think much of it). Oh, and doesn't the GBA play games from other regions without a problem? I might check out Go Go Beckham, at least.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Dude View Post
    Thanks guys! I have Gunstar, Ninja Five-O, and Astro Boy (OH MAN that game is good), but I will keep an eye out for Drill Dozer (pretty sure I've seen it, and didn't think much of it). Oh, and doesn't the GBA play games from other regions without a problem? I might check out Go Go Beckham, at least.
    Yeah, there's no region lockouts on the GBA so you can play import GB/GBC/GBA on your US system.

Some decent recommendations so far. If you're into Pinball I would suggest Pinball of the Dead, Muppet Pinball Madness, and Sonic Pinball Party. Pac-Man Pinball is decent but leaves a little to be desired.

Other than that, let's see. The Super Robot Wars games might interest you. For puzzle games I would suggest Puyo Pop and Columns Crown. I'll have to peruse my GBA collection to find you some more titles to look out for.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Add Advanced Guardian Heroes. Some don't like it, but I think it is a great, HARD, game.

Hidden gems though...hrmmm...as in stuff that isn't obviously on everyone's list? You know what game was kind of cool but rarely talked about? The Tower. It's a sim (well...it's really called SimTower), but was pretty addicting for about a month.
    -Sosage

WTF is a Dim-Mac?!?!?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Karnaaj Rally was really cool.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd recommend Prehistorik Man, definitely my favorite non-Nintendo action platformer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I second all of the other games mentioned here. The US version of Astro Boy is one of the greatest video games ever produced. Perfectly balanced, gorgeous graphics & sound, best ever treatment of the revered license, controls like a dream... it really doesn't get any better. It deserved to do much better at retail than it did.

I'm probably in the minority, but I've always liked Super Money Ball Jr. quite a bit. It looks absolutely awesome (especially on an SP2 or DS Lite), and is definitely better than the NGage version. The frame rate is truly a wonder to behold. The lack of analog control makes it a little harder than the console versions, but it is still very cool. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dekzyWI4_i8

All 3 GT Advance games, plus Moto GP, are available in a budget release multicart if you like racing. One of the best values for your money on the system. GT 1 still has passwords though, even though 2 & 3 still save (minor gripe).

Continuing with racing, Colin McRae 2.0 is probably the best rally game on the system, even if it isn't that attractive to the eye. The voice navigation is the real star of the show. The much more common Top Gear Rally is better looking, but CMR plays almost exactly like the PSX version. (The artifacts make it look much worse than it is.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkoA839J_yg

Rally is my fave driving game genre, so I also have to recommend V-Rally 3. It has quite possibly the most impressive 3D on the system, and plays well taboot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6KbJ...eature=related

If you like video pinball, Pinball of the Dead is excellent. Not quite Devil's Crush, but still very, very good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3spu9J5fkrE

Finally, in terms of obscure shooting, Darius R is a nice old school trip. It isn't very well reviewed, but I am a huge Darius fan, so I enjoyed it. Hard as nails, and quite faithful to the original Darius. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RG2x430rI8

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always liked Gradius Generations. It got kind of a bad rap, but I thought that it was pretty good. Should be cheap too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pinobee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-xW9BpZ50k (this video shows the ps1 version, not much different from gba version)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

In addition to the racing titles already mentioned, Top Gear Rally is excellent and Racing Gears Advance is a classic.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always felt that Medabots Ax (both Rokusho and Metabee versions) is a REALLY good fighting/RPG game. It's one of the few games that I've played through multiple times. I love the game's fighting mechanic and I was a big fan of the show back in the day.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!