Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: PSP Fading Already?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by esquire View Post
    Exactly. These are the same people who bitch about Sony dropping backwards compatibility on the PS3 to make the console more affordable, while a year ago they were griping that the PS3 cost too much due to all the added extras.
    Yeah, the expense was all in the backwards compatibility components. Blu-ray drives and cell processors we're bargain basement by comparison.

Remember consumers, It's YOUR fault if a product fails at market. No amount of fault can be attributed to the producing company... unless you're Sega... or Nintendo... or Microsoft... or NEC among countless others. The only fair thing to do is buy everything, whether you want it, need it, or not.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    To be fair, Sony was on top for about ten years and Nintendo was the company that took a beating on message boards and in the gaming press. The roles have reversed.
    Critical praise by the gaming press is one thing, but, I've been posting on game-related BBS'es since I first had a 1400 Baud modem on my Commodore 64, and to my knowledge and from the experiences I've had - Sony has ALWAYS taken a HUGE amount of shit on message boards, from the moment they entered the console market, when they entered the handheld market, and MOST ESPECIALLY when they were on top of the former.

The only difference is now people have legitimate business mistakes and low sales figures to point out when they're attacking them.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 02-05-2008 at 03:19 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I noticed what one of the original posters mentioned: my local EB (near where I work) had next to nothing for PSP software for awhile after Xmas. It seems like it's building again, but it did have me puzzled as to why it was so low.

There hasn't been any big time games that have come out that I've been wowed with since the last Syphon Filter. I'm definitely looking forward to the new WipEout and God of War games though. That should put more of a spring in my PSP step.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    dude... the fact that you cant afford a psp is your problem. im glad the price stands (sign of good health of a console) and support the platform by buying and reserving new games. there are more games in my psp library than the 360 (do you not own that too cause 400$ is too much? boo-hoo) the price of technology is $$$. if youre unwilling to pay that, then no problem, go on your merry way and leave the system to prosper.

i hate when people wait till a system dies to get it and the software, ultimately contributing to its demise by not supporting it when it's manufacturer needed it most.
    I can afford, I just refuse to buy it at it's current price. I think it's too much to spend for what you get. If it were cheaper I would have one, and would be buying games for it. I've spent more money on other systems, even single items. Yes, I do own a 360. And a Wii. And I had every system last generation. I am simply not buying a product I feel is too expensive. Feel free to fuck off.

I hate it when people blindly buy shit to support a company. They couldn't care less about you. Why do you care so much for them?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by neuropolitique View Post
    I can afford, I just refuse to buy it at it's current price. I think it's too much to spend for what you get. If it were cheaper I would have one, and would be buying games for it. I've spent more money on other systems, even single items. Yes, I do own a 360. And a Wii. And I had every system last generation. I am simply not buying a product I feel is too expensive. Feel free to fuck off.

I hate it when people blindly buy shit to support a company. They couldn't care less about you. Why do you care so much for them?

who said anything about blindly buying it? I, for one think i got my 200$ worth (twice) for a system that can play divx, mp3, all 16bit games and prior, ps1 games and has a fun selection of its own games (i own around 15), not to mention how many are great anthologies. oh thats right, it also has gps add on, full wifi web surfing though hot spots and routers, skype connectivity and i can play this on my tv as well??? not to mention the unrelenting slew of applications constantly being developed for it.

care about me sony may not, but i care that more great games come to this little beast.

you want one? no? then stfu. yes? then pony up the cash. feel free to fuck off if you have any problems with the price, the color or the weather. if you dont feel like paying it, stfu and let those of us who have, happily enjoy the system.

if you paid 250 to wave your hands around in the air like a moron (actually so did i... damnit!) then you can pay 50$ less for a much better gaming platform.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I think that "support" and the "genuine desire to enjoy" are pretty closely married concepts when people buy "under-performing" systems, or systems that are obviously lacking in quality design/killer apps ...

... and in some cases, relentless support can in a small sense, help keep interest in a system alive JUST long enough to spur on a re-birth.

If you read the awesome book "Game Over" ... you'll find that in the early 90's Nintendo wanted to move their development concepts squarely away from the GameBoy line of products, and ultimately EXIT the handheld market altogether. There simply was no economical, affordable way for them to produce a technically advanced (color screen, etc.) handheld unit that could provide the type of battery life that Nintendo wanted. It was nearly completely through the outcry of the gaming public (transmitted through voices -and the wallets of retailers) that Nintendo was ENCOURAGED to keep the GameBoy line alive, and in turn encourage 3rd party developers to continue to support an aging, technically limited system.

So ... yes, while in some cases, "support" may be "blind" or misguided ... but in other cases, it could genuinely help keep something alive longer than it would. (Or the so-called "blind" buyer believes that they're participating in THAT type of "support" ... "life support"!)

Just out of curiosity, what do you think the price point of the PSP should be?

$150?

$100?
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 02-05-2008 at 02:28 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@ Poofta
    You mention all this these great thing you can do on it. You mention that you want more great games to come out for it. Then you mention you have only 15 games. 15 games is not worth a $170 buy in. I could care less about all the things you listed except one. PSP games. That is all I would do with it. Are PSP games alone worth $170. Not to me.

As for STFU-ing. This is not a love PSP thread. The OP was asking wether it was falling to the wayside. I expressed my thoughts and why I thought so. I did not insult your mother.

@frankie
    What?

also - $130-140 would be mighty tempting. New, that is. I don't do used handhelds

@whomever else has a hair up their ass. I want the PSP. I like it and think it is mighty impressive. It's just too expensive. Disagree if you like, but that won't bring the price down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

@ Poofta
    You mention all this these great thing you can do on it. You mention that you want more great games to come out for it. Then you mention you have only 15 games. 15 games is not worth a $170 buy in. I could care less about all the things you listed except one. PSP games. That is all I would do with it. Are PSP games alone worth $170. Not to me.

As for STFU-ing. This is not a love PSP thread. The OP was asking wether it was falling to the wayside. I expressed my thoughts and why I thought so. I did not insult your mother.

@frankie
    What?

also - $130-140 would be mighty tempting. New, that is. I don't do used handhelds

@whomever else has a hair up their ass. I want the PSP. I like it and think it is mighty impressive. It's just too expensive. Disagree if you like, but that won't bring the price down.
    What?

You said you hate people "blindly supporing shit", and you wanted to know "why they care".

I thought my response (in regards to that sentiment) was pretty clear and rather articulate...

so...um...what exactly don't you understand about my response?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

uh, calm the beef min?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by geneshifter View Post
    uh, calm the beef min?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

15 games isn't enough to warrant a system purchase for you? lol

As for the person saying the PSP is more powerful than the PS2, I don't believe that's the case. Without looking at specs, I'd have to say its weaker judging by the games and comparing ports like Outrun 2006 to its PS2 counterpart.

Still a fine handheld though, I only have 7 games and I feel like I've gotten my moneys worth just between those and playing mp3's and videos of it. I never got into emulation with it sadly since I didn't want to brick it and I apparantly suck with instructions if my Dreamcast experience tells me anything (Only ever gotten a couple emulators working for the DC for example). So I've mostly just been buying the classic gaming collections for it, the only current generation game I own for it is Outrun 2006.

My biggest complaint actually is just the sucky d-pad of the original model and the useless analog nub thing (Which has largely kept me away from modern titles on it, it sucked terribly for Outrun and I've had to settle with using the d pad for it which while workable, isn't as much fun as it should be, and its been just as bad in other games I've tried it with).

Looking forward to upgrading to a better d-pad and tv out with the slim in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, I do own a 360. And a Wii.
    15 games is not worth a $170 buy in.
    One might find these two comments contradictory. How can you justify owning a Wii, as there are certainly not many "must haves" - at least not more than 15 games; and even if there are, the investment is far more than the PSP (at least $50-$80 more for the console, if you can find one; $50 for an extra controller; and at least $10-$20 more per game @ 15 games is another $150-$300).
    Last edited by esquire; 02-05-2008 at 08:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by esquire View Post
    How can you justify owning a Wii ... the investment is far more than the PSP (...at least $10-$20 more per game...).
    Actually, quite a few good Wii games retail new for $20 and $30, which is cheaper than PSP games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Actually, quite a few good Wii games retail new for $20 and $30, which is cheaper than PSP games.
    Oh come on party peoples!

There are plenty of quality PSP tiles with price points at or below $20/$30 NEW.

At this point there are rarely PSP titles that launch with MSRPs higher than $30, and even those only take a few months to drop an entier tier price-wise.

The new $40 MSRP retail model really only lasted the first year or so of the PSP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    There are plenty of quality PSP tiles with price points at or below $20/$30 NEW. ... The new $40 MSRP retail model really only lasted the first year or so of the PSP.
    Thanks for pointing that out; I didn't know about that. I just remember the first few months after the PSP launched, the games were $45 to $55, which was crazy and stupid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Thanks for pointing that out; I didn't know about that. I just remember the first few months after the PSP launched, the games were $45 to $55, which was crazy and stupid.
    Yes. Yes it was.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    At this point there are rarely PSP titles that launch with MSRPs higher than $30, and even those only take a few months to drop an entier tier price-wise.
    Wha? In what world is this happening? Seriously, I want these good deals. :P

Almost every single PSP game I find remotely interesting launches at $40 (and this includes upcoming titles). Maybe there are cheaper games out there, but most of those games aren't even worth the 20 dollars they're charging.

And like I said in my last post, the PSP is not a good system in terms of price drops, at least not in the multitude of stores I've checked. After a few months have passed, I either see them still sitting at their original MSRP or they've disappeared altogether. The PS2 this is not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I bought 2 games at fry's for 9.99. Yes they were budget titles , but Hell Nintendo was selling super Mario brothers on gameboy SP for 30.00

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Wha? In what world is this happening? Seriously, I want these good deals. :P

Almost every single PSP game I find remotely interesting launches at $40 (and this includes upcoming titles). Maybe there are cheaper games out there, but most of those games aren't even worth the 20 dollars they're charging.

And like I said in my last post, the PSP is not a good system in terms of price drops, at least not in the multitude of stores I've checked. After a few months have passed, I either see them still sitting at their original MSRP or they've disappeared altogether. The PS2 this is not.
    ...I love how every single time I provide quantifiable information people :

A.) Make some type of snarky, witty remark.

B.) Don't look the information up themselves.

Yes, there are some new games that launch at MSRP $40, *and, yes, I agree that some of the "interesting" stuff - if you've been looking around lately (this/next quarter) may be in the $40 range new ... (Final Fantasy Crisis Core, God of War, etc)....this could be further evidence that the system has grown enough in it's installation base that they've kicked the price standard up again ... but more often than not I see new titles squarely in the $30 range in the GameStop family of stores and Best Buy*

If you want games in the $10-$30 range, all you need to do is go to GameStop.com, go to the PSP section, and look at items categorized between $19.99 and $29.99.

There are 33 listings under that category, and it looks like about 25 of them are games.

In the $10 to $19.99 range there are 104 listings and more than HALF of that look to be NEW games.

I've said this before - I pay pretty close attention to everything going on with the PSP ... and I browse all my local retail outlets at least once a week.

I'd like to think I'm up to speed on prices and pricing trends for the PSP ... and you all can be too!! You're obviously connected to the internet, aren't you?
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 02-05-2008 at 11:10 PM.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I'm with Frankie here.

You're gonna pay $40 for major releases on PSP but there's plenty of stuff now and in the pipeline for 20 or 30. PLENTY.

C'mon... it's no different than PS2 in its early years: a few GREAT games, lots of mediocre games, too many games pretending to be good. But as a PS2 owner I am totally satisfied. I truly believe the PSP is heading in that direction. For now, I'll say that if you love RPG's you shouldn't have any issues - there are already too many good ones to play thru in a normal lifetime. Other genres aren't really that far behind. Hang in there.