"MAN THAT SHITS SO OLD SCHOOL!!, I remember playing that when I was a kid!"

...your 13 and retarded.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Mobs" meaning monsters.
    "Re-rolled" meaning create a new character.

Someone in my household plays WoW, in case you couldn't tell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

Quote Originally Posted by motley6 View Post
    Game Paks- Nintendo Power insisted on calling cartridges this silly-assed name. I never heard anybody else call them that in my life
    That's nothing compared what TI-99 carts were called...."Command Modules."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wow, shocks me a bit to see someone hate the term "gameplay" so much. It's tidy and efficient. It's just convenient. Eh. Whatever floats your boat I guess..

Quote Originally Posted by kaedesdisciple View Post
    Another one for me, I'm sure I'm echoing someone else here, is the term "hardcore."

Same here. I rarely use the word, and never use it to describe myself. I much prefer the term "diehard" which IMHO has the same concept as "hardcore" minus the 'elitist' connotations. Again, whatever floats your boat but that's my take and I'm stickin' to it.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by strassy View Post
    (regarding Prego) haha i know what you mean. unfortunately, it seems like the best brand of jarred pasta sauce out there. i've tried others and have always been disappointed. what do you use?
    365 (Whole Foods brand) and Classico are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by kaedesdisciple View Post
    Most games these days are too easy in my opinion. I say we force an NES onto all these kids and watch them get "pwned" by games that have no save points, little to no hit points, limited lives and/or continues.
    You forgot one important aspect of the difficulty in old games: the control! Yes, the control in many older games wasn't as responsive and smooth as it is now. Compare the control in an old game like Double Dragon, Rygar, or Rad Racer, which is pretty good, to the control in a new game like Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, or Burnout 2, which is far better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Link View Post
    Actually, the original code name for the PlayStation back when it was being designed as a CD-ROM add-on for the SNES was "Play Station X". That is where the "X" comes from. Don't worry, this used to bother me a lot too until I learned that little tidbit.
    I knew that, but it doesn't make any sense. The original code name for the Nintendo 64 was the Ultra 64, but people didn't call it the NU64 because that would be stupid. They called it the N64.

The original code name for the GameCube was the Dolphin, but people didn't call it the "D" or the Dolphin because, again, that would be stupid...just like "PSX."

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The "X" in PSX? It stands for "X-TREME"!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
    That's nothing compared what TI-99 carts were called...."Command Modules."
    I kinda like that term actually. It has a nice sound to it.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dislike how the Entertainment System is called "Nintendo" and the Mega Drive is called "Sega". The PlayStation isn't called "Sony" and the Xbox isn't called "Microsoft", are they?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    I dislike how the Entertainment System is called "Nintendo" and the Mega Drive is called "Sega". The PlayStation isn't called "Sony" and the Xbox isn't called "Microsoft", are they?
    This slightly annoys me now but in retrospect most people growing up in that era called them that. If you owned a Nintendo system it was an NES, if you owned a Sega system it was *probally* a Genesis...same for Atari. Sony and Microsoft had many pre-established products before their game systems so taht would make much less sense.

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

Quote Originally Posted by klausien View Post
    "I'm a fan of shooters."
    "Really? That's awesome, I love them too. What's your favorite?"
    "I play a lot of Counter Strike and Halo."
    "Oh. I thought you meant like Galaga or Gradius." (Cue mumbling under breath)

Calling an FPS a "shooter" is understandable and acceptable, but it just irks me for some reason. Maybe its because every 2nd game nowadays is an FPS? A shooter is a scrolling shoot 'em up.
    No, FPS should here-in be referred to as FPS, and shooter should be referred to as shooter. I'm sorry, but thats a really big pet peeve for me.
    www.famicomshop.com -best place for famicom stuff. Run by a DP member.
    Radiant's Ongoing Ebay Auctions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klausien View Post
    "I'm a fan of shooters."
    "Really? That's awesome, I love them too. What's your favorite?"
    "I play a lot of Counter Strike and Halo."
    "Oh. I thought you meant like Galaga or Gradius." (Cue mumbling under breath)
    That's why I use the terms "first-person shooter" and "space shooter."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

Quote Originally Posted by James8BitStar View Post
    One word:

"Storyline"

I don't get how that's become such a flipping buzzword. Today I caught a commercial for a new Advance Wars game and I can swear the announcer dude actually said it had a "grittier storyline." Yeah, so what? Movies and books have had gritty storylines for centuries but you don't see them actually calling them that.
    That's probably because games didn't have storylines in the old days, and want to push the fact games have storylines now. The closest thing to a storyline most Atari games had was "You are guy. Shoot asteroid in space. A Winner is You!" (The exception is Adventure, which has a better storyline than the first Zelda IMO).

Anyway, some things that annoy me:

- People who don't even know the names of the games they like
    (They either tell you made-up names like "Mario Fight" (Super Smash Bros.) or poor descriptions like "It's that game where you run around, shooting things")

- Calling the Nintendo 64 the "64"
    (It's N64!)

- Called the Sega Genesis a "Sega"
    (Sega could mean anything)

- Calling NEC "Neck"
    (It's N-E-C. Off topic, but I never had a TurboGrafix-16. I have a NEC PowerMate VP75, though (Their desktop PCs kick ass))

- Spelling "video games" as "videogames"
    (Annoys me more than anything, tied closly with the below. Since the '70s, it's been spelled as 2 words, and should stay that way. Learn to use the space bar!)

- People who talk trash about a game they've never played
    (Tied closely with the above. I hate it when someone talks trash about a game they never played, just based on either a few screen caps and a brief description in a magazine or on a website or what they've heard from someone else)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    I knew that, but it doesn't make any sense. The original code name for the Nintendo 64 was the Ultra 64, but people didn't call it the NU64 because that would be stupid. They called it the N64.

The original code name for the GameCube was the Dolphin, but people didn't call it the "D" or the Dolphin because, again, that would be stupid...just like "PSX."
    *shrugs*
    Maybe people just were used to having 3+ letter acronyms for their game systems. NES, Super NES, TG16, etc. Personally, I think it would sound awkward and wrong to say, "Hey, do you guys have the new Castlevania for PS in?" Especially since back then there was no PS2 or 3, so you couldn't expect them to say PS1.

That's another thing that always annoyed me. When people say "x game 1" when reffering to the first installment in a series. "Oh, I like Final Fantasy 1, but I don't like 2." Why say 1? The game isn't called FF1, it's just FF. Just say FF, or Mario, or Zelda, or whatever. Or say something like, "my favorite one was the original," or, "the first one," something like that. Don't say, "Castlevania 1 is a hard game."!
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The NES being called a "ness"
    when I go to a classic gaming store and ask for Odyssey games, i get Odd World.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jupitersj
    PSN
    jupitersj

Quote Originally Posted by Wirestone View Post
    "Mobs" meaning monsters.
    "Re-rolled" meaning create a new character.

Someone in my household plays WoW, in case you couldn't tell.
    Mob(s) is short for Mobile(s)

Roll and re-roll are part of many mmo terminology straight from the game itself.

I hate WoW; I did play EverQuest for many years though.

I really don't mind most of the abbreviations and terminology mentioned in this thread but if I had to name a pet peeve it would probably be:

"Liek omgz u r retaded this isnt skool so I dun care how I typ online only nerds complan abut that I could care less!11!1!1shit!one"

...on a gaming messageboard no less; when you skip over their question because it pains you to read it(while also wasting your valuable time deciphering what they saved time apparantly "typing").

p.s. I'm typing this on my PS3 and it constantly misses characters so I have to type extremely slow or it misses a lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Cinder6

I am very passionate about my pet peeves. Here are some of them.

Remote - It's a controller, not a freaking remote. Get it straight. Additionally, whomever coined the term "Wiimote" needs to be shot.

Deck - Alternatively "Control Deck", like Nintendo wanted us to call them. It's annoying, but it's thankfully not that common.

Shooter - When it refers to FPS. A small part of me dies each time I hear it used to describe an FPS, and, like Prometheus, that part of me is reborn, only to die again the next time I hear it.

Extra man - It's an extra life. Not a "man", a "guy", or a "Mario" (especially if it's not a Mario game). The image I get when I think of them as "extra guys" really disturbs me. It's like there's a bunch of them waiting around under the screen, just waiting for the current guy to die in some horrible death, so they can go to their own doom. "Oh, Timmy's gone...you're up next, Larry. I'll go last." It's just...disturbing.

Sness - I can't explain how much this irritates me. Alternates: "Snezz" "Ness", "Nezz". Die.

Rumble - I can't really explain this one. The controller's vibrating, not "rumbling". "Force feedback" is also a little irritating.

SKN - Only encountered this one recently. The people who utter it tend to be idiots, though, so I guess it's to be expected.

CGI - Now, the term itself doesn't bother me, but when people say it like "Oh, no, that's a CGI, not in-game graphics", it's annoying. Wow, my video game has CGI graphics? I thought it was all charcoal, or something. Of course it's computer-generated.

GCN - I feel a little stabby every time I see this. WHY is the N at the END??? NGC would make more sense, but I guess that sounds too much like that naturalist food store. But come on, the Dreamcast got away with "DC", it's not called "SDC" or "DCS", is it? Don't freaking call the Gamecube the "GCN".

PSTriple - The worst of them all. I see this all the time on GameFAQS (though maybe that explains it...). First off, it's "Three", not "Triple" in the name. Nobody says "Playstation Triple", because it's stupid, and it's not the name. Second, it's MORE WRITING. WHY? I feel violent whenever I see this. In fact, I'm getting worked up just writing about it.

Additionally, I find I really hate the name "Wii". It just annoys the hell out of me, for some reason. It's just...an awful name for a console, and I'm not even talking about the obvious puerile jokes. I also don't like "Xbox 360", for obvious geometric reasons. I think from now on, I'm going to call it the "Xbox 2pi", because that's equivalent.

On the subject of "preggos": I've never heard that term before. Now, of course, I'm going to hear it everywhere I go. I, too, find it strangely annoying and creepy. I refuse to ever acknowledge it. Or, better, I'll make up some BS story about it being extremely derogatory, which should get people I know to stop using it (if I ever do hear it used; hopefully, it's a regional thing).

I probably have more, but I can't think of anything else.
    Knowledge is Power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Part of the reason the PlayStation 1 stayed with the nickname PSX is because PS is a crappy abbreviation. Before the PS2 came out, it didn't make sense to call it the PS1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Part of the reason the PlayStation 1 stayed with the nickname PSX is because PS is a crappy abbreviation. Before the PS2 came out, it didn't make sense to call it the PS1.
    And yet, the PlayStation brand symbol is a "PS"

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Isn't GCN based on product codes? or all they all DOL? It is sorta weird. At least we don't call the DS "NTR".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RicknSam
    PSN
    howie6925

fanboy is one that really bugs me.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Huh, I don't know what this says about me. But I've always read NEC as "neck". But, it's always been S-N-K, A-I-M, N-E-S, I-B-M etc.. so I'm not normally a big enough dork to pronounce abbreviations as words. It's weird. I used to even refer to FAQs (facts) as F-A-Qs until I heard my husband pronounce it. Then I realized why it was clever. :P

That said I hate it when people call the NES a "ness" much the same way I hate "Mary-Oh" for Mario.
    FAQ is for Frequently Asked Questions. It is not for "facts." F-A-Q is the correct way to say it.

As for my pet peeves, I hate the word "pet peeve." It's really fucking dumb. Also, NES is NEVER Ness.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!