0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    consolecrusader
    PSN
    consolecrusader

- calling ps PSX
    - playing cod4 or RFOM saying "petes sake" anytime something goes wrong
    - "Unbelieveable"
    - "pajwned" : you'd have to hear me say it in person to know how to say it lol

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I too find it repulsive to hear FPS referred to as shooters... how dare they use that term for an oversaturated genre, when they dissed MY shooters for being an oversaturated genre back in the glory days, and then went on to praise fighters for being an oversaturated genre without any complaints...

I blame EGM for the death of SHMUPS... it was their constant benoaning the arrival of yet another new SHMUP while simultaneously praising the arrival of yet another new fighter that oppressed the SHMUP genre and fueled the fires of the emerging fighter genre to glory... and yes I hate the term SHMUP too, but it does get the point across in a way that differentiates them from FPS... what else would we call them? HPS, VPS, IPS, & 3DPS? it's much easier to lump them all together under SHMUPS... and I'll be even more pissed the day that anyone dares to refer to an FPS as a SHMUP... that'll be the last straw...

NES & SNES: yes I refer to them as ness & sness for brevity... deal with it... I was always a Sega loyalist, and I was only saved from being a Sega fanboy through the good graces of DKC and Nintendo's Play It Loud ad campaigns... so I never owned a NES, although of course I did had a friend who did, and I was only finally able to force myself to get the SNES I always wanted by surrendering myself and my wallet to the undeniable awesomeness of DKC... which wasn't hard to do, after having already surrendered myself and my wallet to the Sega CD & the 32X... and so it began... I got a shiny new SNES to add to my Genesis, Sega CD & 32X collection, and soon I'd go on to aquire a 3DO, a GG, a VB, a Nomad, a Saturn, a PS, a Jaguar, a Jag CD, and an N64... it was DKC that set me free in a way that Sonic never did, and Sonic set me free in more ways than I could ever have imagined... but I'd still rather call the NES & SNES the ness & sness than to ever refer to the Genesis as the Genny... I know it's meant to be affectionate, but it sounds disrespectful!

Genny: see above... don't disrespect my baby boy by shortening his name! it makes him sound like a girl, and he is not a she... he's a very happy gay man!

pet peeve: yep, the fire burns in me when I hear that word too... but I have to admit they really nailed the feeling when they decided on that moniker...

game paks: it took me forever to accept carts as an appropriate abbreviation for cartridges, so don't ask me to call them anything else... game paks? WTF?

wii: OMG, it can't possibly get any worse, can it? WTF is up with all the fucking WIITARDS? yeah, the whole concept ROCKS, but the name SUCKS!

Wiitard: my new pet peeve word for Wii fanboys... spread it like the virus that it is... and remember, you read it here on DP from MY mouth FIRST!
    Last edited by Iron Draggon; 04-15-2008 at 04:31 PM.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heard another one today, while I was tutoring middle school stuents for college credit in my senior seminar. One thirteen year old asked me "Hey, whats your favorite video game dungeon? Like the funnest one you ever played through?" Thinking back to early days of NES, SNES etc I decided on naming The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past and Brain Lord in general because both were fun to me and had great action/puzzles.

Needless to say the group was confused. One explained to me that dungeon refers to the best level of a game, like his favorite the Flood covered ship in Halo 3. Another asks me if the two games I named came out before or after Windwaker.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I live in Texas, And we say "Beat the game".

Insert Coin (Level 0) DragonBomber's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    It drives me apeshit when people refer to console bundles as "sku's". Sku souds like a generic term that should only used by stiffs in sales & marketing. Or by someone trying too hard to sound like game journalist.

Just say "bundle" instead, for cyrin' out loud.
    On a related note, but not game related per say, think of the acronym MFHD. It's in books sometimes, in library records and such. The library industry slang for this term is "muffhead" and I guess it's something someone in Chicago writing software to catalog books started. It might just be slang used by the company whose software we use, I don't know. Literally three of us in a training session a few months ago had wet eyes from laughing at this. I think our game of trying and succeeding in getting the trainer to say "muffhead" more was the highlight of the week. Getting paid to bait someone to say dirty phrases = A+.
    Bomberman is a robot engaged in the production of bombs. Any robot that could escape the underground compound and make it to the surface could become human. Will he ever make it up to the surface? Once there, will he really become human?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Angry

Someone beat me to pointing out the multimedia machine named PSX that Sony put out, which by its existence should force all the people out there peddling, and buying games to stop the insanity of its use. I was as guilty as anyone, but have since amended that choice.

After reading all 5 pages I am surprised no one said retro.

I cannot stand that word. I see it everywhere from big name convention operators to eBay auctions, and it just ticks this little box inside my head that makes me want to punch things randomly until the circus clown music stops playing...seriously I cannot stand it. I may be lame for preferring the term classic and piss off other people who adore retro, but everyone has their own opinions on this.

Classic to me carries the weight of class, of age, of some refinement, with commercials of Phil Hartman ripping off his tshirt because he's so angry and excited about the new Intellivision games. That is class. Retro to me reminds me of my long hell in California around poser surfer dudes who were far too popular and needed a swift ass kicking. I don't mind real surfers, just the skater/surfer posers who need to be cast as extras in any remake of Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Retro reminds me too much of assholes trying to puff up sales with a buzzword, often times misrepresenting the product in auctions and generally driving prices up with some obscene jive talk. It also reminds me of something that I might hear come out of Keanu Reeves in some f'd up movie I shouldn't be watching but got tricked into by some friend or my own silly foolishness in my fortitude, and I pray for death.
    Bomberman is a robot engaged in the production of bombs. Any robot that could escape the underground compound and make it to the surface could become human. Will he ever make it up to the surface? Once there, will he really become human?

Insert Coin (Level 0) fairyland's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Saying "Game Genies", "Game Sharks", or even the extremely rude "cheat device" instead of the proper term of "video game enhancer."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DTJAAAAM
    PSN
    DTJAAAAM

"Videogame". It needs to be two words, damn it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by ThisVerySite
    Meet the gamers with a decidedly retro edge. Remember Burgertime, Jungle Hunt, Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage and Radiant Silvergun but have no problem wreaking havoc in Halo? Well then... welcome home.
    Just read this at the top of the page and died a little more inside.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Classic to me carries the weight of class, of age, of some refinement, with commercials of Phil Hartman ripping off his tshirt because he's so angry and excited about the new Intellivision games. That is class." lmao yeah Dragonbomber, classic. Seen his CDI (or was it 3DO?) commercials?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spoon View Post
    Game Tapes-I hate this. EGM seems tto like pushing this one. They were called cartridges last I knew.
    LMAO!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MasterMeltd0wn

Quote Originally Posted by mnbren05 View Post
    I'm a fan of the PSX over PS1/PSOne. I do not know why but that has stuck with me. I always say PSX system and then someone will say "Wait. They released another system?"
    Actually SONY used PS1 when they released the newer smaller version of the Playstation. this was how you can tell the 2 systems apart in retail.

Quote Originally Posted by winniethepujols View Post
    I had a friend that always called controllers "paddles." How freakin' lame does that sound? I don't know if that was derived from Atari or whatever (I really have no idea, just blatant speculation), but either way, it's stupid.
    How old is your friend? I ask because the original home video games "Odyssey", "PONG", "Odyssey2000" called the controllers Paddles because thats basically what they controlled, on screen paddles.

Ok now for mine.

This is my BIGGEST pet peeve in video games and I know im going to get the haters after me for this but I hate hearing any video game being called a RPG. Even games that are actually based on RPGs don't even live up to any true Role Playing Game. Until I have complete freedom of choice for my characters actions like I do in real RPGs I will never accept the term for any video game.

I also hate when people call the Nintendo DS a Gameboy or worse a Gameboy DS. I've even had customers ask me back in my days of retail for "Gameboy PSP's" I had to fight back the urge to laugh at them. Of course then I would have to ask them if they were looking for Gameboy SP's or if they were looking for PSP's? and usually I would get a blank or confused expression as a response.

Oh and another big one for me is calling anyone who uses a 'Game Enhancer' a "HACKER". Um no!! it doesn't take any hacking skills to type in a code to activate a game enhancer.
    I also don't like the term 'cheater' for using game enhancers. Most people don't even realize that many of the codes on game enhancers actually make games more difficult and challenging. thus prolonging the play value.

I also hate all the attachments for the Wii Controller. (tennis racket, baseball bat, golf club, blaster, etc) Even the Guitar Hero III controller requires the wii controller to be stuck inside of it. Come on people do you really need all the extra plastic crap stuck to your controller to make it work better? not only a waste of money, but a total waste of storage space as well.

For those who don't like the term "wiimote" blame Nintendo, even the top executives were calling it the wiimote back before the system was even launched. I guess because it resembles a entertainment system remote.

There are many more things that annoy me, but I don't have the time to list them all.

Xboxlive - MasterMeltd0wn
    Wii - 7663 3838 9454 2990

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Without a doubt, calling someone a "BK" is the most annoying of all terms. At first I thought they were talking about Burger King, but it turns out this is short for "bad kid". Um, very clever high school kid. Now stop making up stupid words and get me my fries.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

heh i always thought burger king too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whenever people mispronounce a word, it bothers me. I was in a thrift store the other day, and my mom started talking with this older woman who was looking for a certain book. She kept saying it was part of a "tree-ology." I'm also bothered by bad grammar. If it's just a small slip up every now and then, that's fine, but when every post looks like a dyslexic 3 year old child overdosing on PCP could have typed it, I want to scream. Just to clarify, I don't have the problem here. It's other boards with that problem.

Oh and the whole thing about calling a Genesis a Sega. I tell people I used to have a Sega all the time when they say it to me. I start talking about how I got it when it was new, and how I still have Street Fighter, Sonic, and other classic titles. Then they're confused when I show them my Dreamcast with Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Sonic Adventure. It's even funnier, though, when they see my "Sega" and ask what all the crap is hooked up to it (CD and 32X).
    Last edited by ssjlance; 04-20-2008 at 05:09 PM.

Ass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have no problem with the word "retro" unless it's used improperly. When someone refers to a Playstation game as "retro", I want to put a knife through their face.

I can understand some people's dislike of "fanboy", as it's become a derogatory phrase nowadays. I find myself using it from time to time though, usually to talk about Nintendo geeks who think that Nintendo is God and anything else is "ghetto", another word I detest.

Whenever I'm scoping out a new MMORPG to try out, I check the forum for the game. If enemies are refered to as "mobs", I avoid the game. "Mob" is used in MMORPGs where combat is the #1 focus of the game, and that just bores the hell out of me. I've stuck with RuneScape for many years now because it's not just about combat.

Referring to a Zelda game as an RPG. Complete BS. While some people will dispute the purity of the genre, and others will say "if you don't have complete control then it's not an RPG", console-based RPGs are pretty damn specific. I've debated this with many people over the years and no one seems to have asolid understanding of the phrase. I liken them to books...an RPG is a novel. Zelda plays like a short story, not a novel, so therefore it could never be called an RPG. Those unfamiliar with the two types of books should look it up, it's a pretty simple difference in concepts, really, yet so many are absolutely clueless.

People who misspell TurboGrafx, or assign it weird variations. It's NOT that hard to interpret. People who write Turbographx, TurbografX, Turbo Graphics, etc. make me want to murder a kitten.

Building off of the previous issue, people who refer to the TurboGrafx 16 as an 8 bit system. As if the bits of the CPU determine everything. This was a popular selling point during the "16 bit era", and it was then and is still now absolute BS. The bits of the CPU do not determine squat. Then you've got lamers who're all like "but that's only an 8 bit game, it can't be fun, I've got a much better 16 bit game, blah blah blah I don't know a damn thing because I'm Wiitarded". I've been in countless debates over this over the years as well, and there are many people who just simply don't get it. It mostly comes from Sega loyalists who believe that their Genesis was "the most powerful system of the 16 bit era". Sorry kids, hate to break it to you but in terms of the CPU, the Genesis took second place to the TurboGrafx 16. As one who's programmed all three "16 bit" consoles, I can tell you all without a shadow of a doubt that the 6280 used in the PC Engine/TurboGrafx has a bit of an edge over the stock Motorolla 68000 used in the Genesis, and both put the 65816-based CPU used in the SNES to shame many times over. But then the Sega loyalists come back with "but the Genny can do parallax! The Turbo can't! You suck! blah blah blah", and I'm always quick to remind them of many, many PCE/TG16 games which use parallax, then I'm also quick to counter with "and the Genesis also has a poor color encoder, far fewer colors on-screen, and smaller sprites". Usually shuts them up because they wouldn't know that the Genesis features tile-flipping...a feature I wish the PCE/TG16 had.

More on the Genesis stuff...old catch-phrases Sega used. "Blast Processing"...complete BS. And of course, their old marketing campaign: "Genesis Does What Nintendont". AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAARG. Stupid marketing!

People who say "the Jaguar has a 16 bit CPU!", referring to the governor 68000 in the Jag. Man, get a clue and do your research. Likewise, Atari geeks who're all like "the Jag is 64 bit dammit! It has better games than all those stupid 16 bit consoles!". I do believe that this was really the end of the bit-naming...although Sega tried it a little at first with the Saturn, naming it a 96 bit system (3x32) but they dropped that dead meme pretty quickly. I was glad to see the bit crap disappear. What, for example, would you call the Xbox 360? 32 bit? 128 bit? 256 bit? 384 bit? It makes no sense nowadays, but it made no sense back then either.

When I was growing up, my foster mother referred to her son's Genesis as "Intendo". Arg, I wanted to beat her with a rake.

Nintendo fans in general, or at least on eBay, seem to be the largest idiots of the gaming world. I sell a lot of video games on eBay, but almost always TurboGrafx stuff. However, once I sold a DS Lite. I'll never do it again. I got the most idiotic questions from potential buyers, questions that were SO incredibly stupid that you wonder how these people dress themselves in the morning. I'll occasionally get ONE stupid question on one of my TG auctions, but only one, and at huge intervals. Here, I'm talking 8 Wiitarded questions on the SAME AUCTION.

I love that word...Wiitard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I never understood why people called genesis systems "Segas". It never bothered me much though. If I was running a game repair service it might.

Hmm.. I can't think of any annoying game terms or pet peeves.

Really, I can't.

I'm sure they'll come to me later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chrozi

Default words..

I have a habit of still saying "paddles" when referring to game controllers, this quite irritates some people.
    "Oh my lord it's nutty, yup!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

"Old school" is starting to stick in my craw a little bit, particularly when I hear people clamoring to apply it to systems which frankly haven't yet earned such a distinction, e.g - "Old school X-Box games". I suppose that might - might - seem like a valid sentiment if, back in 2001, you were in 7th grade and your parents put one of these brand new machines under the Christmas tree. And now you're in college, pining for your roots. Sorry, junior. Come back in 10 to 15 years when the public utterance of the name of your console d'amour is the kind of thing that causes 14-year-olds to vacantly stare and say, "Uh...X-what?" Then you'll really understand "old school" and we'll have something to talk about.

Until then, I'm from the Atari 2600 generation, so get off my lawn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I LOATHE the word Urban.