Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can someone identify this piece of xbox hardware?

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    While I don't dispute you and all the posters who've confirmed this... I think I got the shitty end of the deal. I also was sent a replacement cord by Microsoft- but mine was just like the original cord that came with the unit, with the addition of a ferrite core. Until now, I have never seen this version of the power cord.

So was mine, it looked exactly like the original. I think some of these gents are pulling our chains.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    So was mine, it looked exactly like the original. I think some of these gents are pulling our chains.
    I agree and think the below explanation is more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, it looks like a circuit breaker plug that you'd see on modern hair dryers and such.

So if I were to find one of these... I could mod my xbox into a sweet-ass blow dryer that plays SNES ROMs too?

On a related note does anyone know where I could illegally download ROMs to play illegally on my XBOX?

In before the lock!

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

This is a perfectly fine topic, why do you wanna get it locked?

I ordered my replacement years ago, and got one like the one pictured in the original post. Want me to post it? Hell I probably still have the box around somewhere.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    This is a perfectly fine topic, why do you wanna get it locked?
    I was just feeling frisky- not really serious.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still have my original cord and I was thinking of playing my Xbox soon, but now I'm afraid the damn thing will burst into flame.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by josekortez View Post
    I still have my original cord and I was thinking of playing my Xbox soon, but now I'm afraid the damn thing will burst into flame.
    Just pick up a spare power cable from Radio Shack, if you're worried about it. Of course, I can't be sure if it was actually the cord at fault, or a design flaw with the XBOX itself for using to small of a cord.

Does anyone really know a technical explanation as to why they were recalled?

Because the XBOX uses a pretty standard power cable, that can be found on most stereo shelf systems. It's almost (or maybe exactly) the same that the PS2 uses.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just pick up a spare power cable from Radio Shack, if you're worried about it. Of course, I can't be sure if it was actually the cord at fault, or a design flaw with the XBOX itself for using to small of a cord.

Because the XBOX uses a pretty standard power cable, that can be found on most stereo shelf systems. It's almost (or maybe exactly) the same that the PS2 uses.
    There's a pair of bad solder joints inside the power supply of the early xboxes. Repeated plugging and unplugging the power cord breaks down the connector, leading to sparks. Sparks create fire.

The cord was designed to shut off if the power supply sparks. It sort of works, but does nothing to fix the problem. Now you just get a single spark as opposed to multiple sparks. Plugging a ps2 power cord into an xbox with a damaged power connector will still burn your house down.

A better solution is to crack open the xbox and epoxy down the power connector from the inside...

Granted, i have 50 some xboxes and i've never really worried about it. I always use the "defective" power cords.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    There's a pair of bad solder joints inside the power supply of the early xboxes. Repeated plugging and unplugging the power cord breaks down the connector, leading to sparks. Sparks create fire.
    Ok... so it's an Xbox flaw and that updated power cable is a sorta fail safe against it. Thanks so much for the explanation. I don't really unplug my unit so I feel a little better.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, my Xbox was one of the ones that came with Jet Set Radio Future and Sega GT 2002 on one disc, so it wasn't one of the originals. I never had a problem with it when I did use it on a regular basis, but I haven't plugged it in since September of last year due to space issues. However, I'm sitting on a backlog of games since those suckers got so cheap. I have a feeling I will find one of those cords at Gamestop sooner or later, so I'll probably buy one then.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Crap, mine's gotten a lot of unplugging and repluggin over the years...