Thread: Arcades

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shupirate

Default Arcades

I was thinking this morning, how cool it would be if someone opened up an arcade , full of old arcade and pinball machines. It could have some new machines too.

It would have to be a safe place for kids of all ages. I guess the question is how do you keep it from becoming a seedy hangout.

I use to love going to the arcade when I was a kid.

Back in the day, I use to frequent Arnie's Place in Connecticut. It was our favorite arcade/hangout.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Has anyone here been to a Dave and Busters? I've been wanting to go sometime but havn't yet. I heard they have a pretty good classic games section. It's a restraunt/arcade...sort of like an adults chucky cheese from what I can tell.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.1984arcade.com

There, problem solved!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it would be cool to have such a place...but i don't think the kids of today would be amused by Pac-Man for more than 2 minutes.

if anyone is in chicago, check out Nickel City in Northbrook. it's kind of run-down, but for $2 admission, you get unlimited play on their older arcade games...they have maybe 35 of them from early 80s to early 90s, if anyone is interested, i can give you a list of games off of memory. beyond that, most of their newer games (which I don't think are that new) cost between a nickel and eight nickels to play (the only one that i can recall being 8 nickels is the Mario Kart GP arcade game)...not a bad place to kill a weekday afternoon, I'm sure it is full of kiddies on the weekends.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Moving this to Arcade Alley!
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am glad I am not the only one around to think of it. I've been wanting to do that in my small town. Get a massive amount of arcade machines though I could just drive to Portland and go to Ground Kontrol which has all the arcade needs.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Such a place does exist, it's called Funspot in New Hampshire. It is actually home of the official classic arcade museum. I see your from CT, ever go to Scooters in Bristol, CT? I use to go there ALL the time when I was a kid. Here is the link to Funspots arcade museum page. http://www.classicarcademuseum.org/ You can also go to www.funspotnh.com

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ground Kontrol is neat, needs classic fighting game stuff to grab the niche market of players looking for an arcade to still frequent. 21 and over after dark and only a semi working SFII?

FunSpot is near perfect on all aspects, just needs to stay open later.

Nickel City in Northbrook run down? Ever been to Dennis' Place for Games, or Diversions in Chicago? Now THOSE are run down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I walk by Dennis' place for games every day on my way to work. I am scared to go in there, there's all kinds of warnings on the door about how no hats may be worn inside...between that and the tranny bar down the street, i hustle back to the west side of sheffield as soon as I get off the Belmont El stop.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Flashbacks at Seaside Heights NJ .I've never actually seen a Kid in it..Only adults..The kids seem to all be in the front Arcade playing the newer type machines.
    Now my 6 year old Son I've brought up to love the older games so he's always wanting to play all the old stuff..(Spy Hunter.Turbo etc..in there.

I don't think it could ever become a seedy hangout though... because IT'S BAKING HOT IN THERE!!!
    I'd worry more about fire..I look at those machines and think Man they just have to be burning up.
    You'd figure after all these years they'd have added an air conditioning system in there.

YouTube - Flashbacks at Seaside Heights NJHere's a video walkthru of the Flashbacks section of the Carousel Arcade in Seaside Heights New Jersey.Tucked away in the corner is an area chock full of cl ...
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2vlJw7dF6U
    http://blog.nj.com/beach/2007/08/seaside_not_all_its_sleazed_up.html
    The southern most arcade, on the beach-side of the boardwalk- the one attached to Funtown Pier- is pretty awesome. They have this room sectioned off in the back called "Flashbacks"- and it's filled with all sorts of old-school video games- Spy Hunter, Tempest, Ghostbusters, Rygar... I could have spent the entire night in that place. I played a bad-ass round of Tapper, which surprised me by having a large pixilated "Budwiser" sign on the game screen- I just didn't think they'd be allowed to do that... it must be a generation thing- like when they used to show kids smoking cigarettes in cereal commercials during the 50's. No original Star Wars though... you know, the one with all the wire-frame? That might be the greatest arcade game of all time.
    They also have one of those old light-gun shooting galleries in the building- the kind where you pay a quarter then shoot little red targets with a riffle, making a buzzard scream, or a man play the piano. I like those things- they're pretty rare now- so I made my girlfriend take this picture of me playing:

http://arcadelocations.classicgaming.gamespy.com/PlaceSearch.php3?code=njseacar&newdate=2007-12-05

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Flashbacks in Seaside Heights is one of the last bastions of 70's and 80's arcading.

I've been to the Dave and Buster's at the Palisades Mall up near Rye, NY, but never liked it. Not that many games, and the prices are way too high.

The best arcade I've ever been to was the Gameworks in Las Vegas. That was 8 or 9 years ago though.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    Nikademus1969

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Has anyone here been to a Dave and Busters? I've been wanting to go sometime but havn't yet. I heard they have a pretty good classic games section. It's a restraunt/arcade...sort of like an adults chucky cheese from what I can tell.
    I went to the one in St Louis a few years back. While they *did* have a rather large selection of games, their selection of classic machines consisted of one of those commercial MAME-type multi-game machines stuck in one of the back corners of the arcade area. It was a bit of a bummer to see my childhood condensed into a single cabinet, tho it was kinda cool to play Joust on a 27 inch monitor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Flashbacks in Seaside Heights is one of the last bastions of 70's and 80's arcading.

I've been to the Dave and Buster's at the Palisades Mall up near Rye, NY, but never liked it. Not that many games, and the prices are way too high.

The best arcade I've ever been to was the Gameworks in Las Vegas. That was 8 or 9 years ago though.
    They also have two arcades in that mall...Both have mainly new type games though..one I think had a few old fighters in it though..

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Videogamerdaryll View Post
    They also have two arcades in that mall...Both have mainly new type games though..one I think had a few old fighters in it though..

Really? I haven't been up there in several years. We used to go to the NASCAR Simulator Motor Speedway place, but it closed down.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Really? I haven't been up there in several years. We used to go to the NASCAR Simulator Motor Speedway place, but it closed down.

Yea I used to go to the Nascar place too..My Uncle loved to kick my ass in the races there...
    The last I saw of it was the car above the entrance then that was gone..

One Arcade is near the Target entrance to the left in the Mall..
    The other I think is near the food court..

..Near the Nascar place they had a place that was set up for online gaming..It had networked computers in it online and Old Video Game systems hooked up to Monitors.(It was cool to see old gaming systems hooked up/games for sale and for rent to play there)
    I had did a search for the places listed in the mall back then and came up with nothing..I called them and they told me the name(I forget it now)..the next time I went there it was gone..

I haven't been to the mall in awhile..I just just teling my wife that I want to go there ../since the babies been born we haven't went..

Funny as all we do there is walk aeound,..admire the Blade Runner type lit up signs in the middle pillars.go in the hot ass dollar store/maybe the sports store ..Best Buys(I've found some good mismarked deals there)

I hit both Arcades...and the Food Court..

The first time I went there they had a store that sold expensive european pocketbikes...After I got into the racing of them I flew back there and the store was gone...(plus the new law in NY prohibs the sale of them now)

I kicked myselff for never going in there but the bikes in the window are imbedded in my head now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wait the Nascar Simulator is gone? Another thing from my childhood demolished heh

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Flashbacks looks sweet, but it's so much farther than Fun N Games used to be. I'll have to go. It's the closest place with a Robotron cab that isn't Barcade in Brooklyn, NY.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking oh yeah, D&Bs is great

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post

Don't hesitate to go to Dave and Busters, it really is like an adult Chucky Cheese...it's clean, well lit, huge, has a really nice sports bar and resturant, and a nice selection of games both new and old. I've been joking that the place is what my idea of the perfect afterlife would be, as long as all the games have unlimited credits and there are hot cute young women all over the place who want nothing more than to make out with me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Chuck E Cheese on RTe 23 NJ has been totally renovated and a butt load of new games added..They have some really awesome stuff there now.(more adult games)

Just don't go there on a Friday or Saturday as you'll be climbing over people.

The Fudd Ruckers up the block from it also has an Arcade in it with some older Aecade games in it..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Speaking of arcades.. someone linked this on IRC recently. I thought it was kinda cool http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...35521764208700