Thread: Sega Dreamcast for possible purchase

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega Dreamcast for possible purchase

My first post so be kind. I know nothing about the dreamcast, as I never owned one. I had a Ps1 instead. Anyway, I have a chance to buy a dreamcast with 10 complete games, three incomplete, 2 controllers, 2 vmus, 2 rumble packs and the dreamcast(blue) with case. I was wondering how much this would be worth and what I should offer, as they have it for $90. I really want to get one. Should I buy one off ebay instead? Thanks.
    Last edited by killimgfloor; 02-07-2008 at 01:59 AM.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

It depends on the games, but the system, pads, VMUs and rumble packs should cost around $50. $90 for all that plus thirteen games is not bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here are the complete games: Dave mirra freestyle bmx, the house of the dead2, jet grind radio, bomberman online, tony hawk's pro skater, quake 4 arena, crazy taxi 2, web browser 2.0, frogger 2, space channel 5, sega bass fishing.

Here are the incomplete games: star wars rebel assault, power stone 2, ultimate fighting championship.

Is it easy to find games? Or is ebay the best place to find them? Thanks for the help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hm... I normally sell Dreamcast packages (standard whitish/gray system, cords, 1 controller) for about $20. Extra controllers I charge $3 each for (so we're up to $23 so far...I'll keep a running total in parentheses as I go along). VMUs, about $2 each (total $27), rumble packs, about $1 each (total $29)... As for the games, this is how they break down:

Dave Mirra - $2
    House of the Dead 2 - $4
    Jet Grind Radio - $3
    Bomberman Online - $5
    Tony Hawk - $1
    Quake 3 Arena - $7
    Crazy Taxi 2 - $3
    Web Browser 2.0 - $1
    Frogger 2 - $7
    Space Channel 5 - $6
    Sega Bass Fishing - $3
    *Star Wars Rebel Assault - $2
    *Power Stone 2 - $20
    *UFC - $2

*assuming disc-only for these three...

Total: $95. $90 isn't terrible, but it really isn't that great. Btw, if you're looking for Dreamcast games, look for a fellow by the name of AR15 at Trade Games Now. He's selling a complete set (all 247 of 'em). I've dealt with him before and can vouch favorably for him.
    World's greatest Internet game store: http://blastedmachines.com

Also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/BlastedMachinesTechShop

Wanted: Any and all Dragon Quest, Lufia/Estpolis, Tales of series, and NIS games, strategy guides, and miscellaneous items. Will pay $$$ or trade well for items I don't already have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How come web browser is considered a game?

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

It's got Sega Swirl. ;p
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by coreys429 View Post
    How come web browser is considered a game?
    It was my fault. I just listed what I saw in the picture that was sent to me. It was never listed as a game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, It's not just you, everytime someone lists a Dreamcast they add web browser as a game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Turntablist
    PSN
    DJ_Daishi

Quote Originally Posted by coreys429 View Post
    Well, It's not just you, everytime someone lists a Dreamcast they add web browser as a game.
    and demo games too...you gotta watch out for those
    -DJ

My EPIC "For Sale" Thread: CLICKY

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry to resurrect my own thread, but I didn't bite on the previous bundle. I have a chance for a different one with less games but at a better price(maybe). I thank everyone for their input as it helps me a lot. Here is what is included:
    -mint condition system with a/v cable, power cord, one controller, and one white VMU

-9 original games (all discs in mint condition):

Sonic Adventure
    Crazy Taxi
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
    House of the Dead 2
    Jet Grind Radio
    Quake III
    Sega Bass Fishing
    Mortal Combat Gold
    Frogger 2

$50

Is this a good deal? If not where would I find a better one? I have looked, but once you include shipping it ups the price by a lot. I also no nothing about the dreamcast, so I have learned a lot from everyone's advice. Thanks again.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

What you need to do when you are looking at a lot like this and you don't know where to start, go on eBay's advanced search, click the 'completed auctions only' tick box, and start typing in the games. It can take some time, but you'll definitely get an idea of the going rate of the games if that is what you are after.

Maybe even better is to go to DP's online rarity guide and look the games up. The prices can be off, but they'll give you a rough idea, plus you'll get quick summaries of a lot of games. In this case you'd learn that some of those games are great fun, 'must-play' games even (crazy taxi and Jet Grind Radio), but that they are also common as can be. Jet Grind still gets 5-15 bucks, though. I think that's the most expensive game on that list, but you should double check.

Since you really want/need a DC, I'd say $40 wouldn't be bad. I wouldn't consider it for more than $30, probably less, but I'd be re-selling most of it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    What you need to do when you are looking at a lot like this and you don't know where to start, go on eBay's advanced search, click the 'completed auctions only' tick box, and start typing in the games. It can take some time, but you'll definitely get an idea of the going rate of the games if that is what you are after.

Maybe even better is to go to DP's online rarity guide and look the games up. The prices can be off, but they'll give you a rough idea, plus you'll get quick summaries of a lot of games. In this case you'd learn that some of those games are great fun, 'must-play' games even (crazy taxi and Jet Grind Radio), but that they are also common as can be. Jet Grind still gets 5-15 bucks, though. I think that's the most expensive game on that list, but you should double check.

Since you really want/need a DC, I'd say $40 wouldn't be bad. I wouldn't consider it for more than $30, probably less, but I'd be re-selling most of it.
    Thanks. I have checked the DP rarity guide to get a good approximate value of games for the most part. I will also start looking at the advance search on eBay as well. I wonder if I should wait? I am just not sure where else I can look other than eBay or Craig's list, but like I stated once shipping is involved the price goes up quite a bit. Maybe I should wait for a larger bundle to see if it works out better price wise and offers a better game selection?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rebel Assault isn't a Dreamcast game, is it?
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

As someone already mentioned, the going rate for a Dreamcast w/1 controller is about $20. That leaves $30 divided by 9 games, or $3.33 per game. If those are games you'd pay three bucks each for, grab it. If not, since you obviously want a Dreamcast, go buy a $20 one and start building your own collection.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Once again thanks to everyone for your help. I did buy the system and hope to find more games for it real soon.