Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I bought my machine exactly a year ago, and I've seen a red ring twice - but further investigation revealed it was just that the HD was a little loose (probably caused by my two young kids horsing around in it's resting place). After disconnecting and reattaching the HD, and relocating my machine, I haven't seen it since.

I *love* my 360, but still live in fear of 'the' RROD someday. I actually chose the 360 over the PS3 largly because of price. Next generation I might just pay the extra bucks if I know Sony is going to make a better machine.

The sad thing is that if other consumers think like I do it doesn't really affect anything until next time. So it's like they got away with something. At least they've extended the warranty though.

(I wonder how the costs for all that will shake out in the end and affect their next launch. They might not be so keen to get a head start next time, although that depends on more than just costs I know)
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

16 percent is way to high. It shows that MS still has alot to learn about the console business.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

16% of current 360's right? The failure rate of launch (into early '06) 360's is certainly higher than 16%.

The article does address this (in a way) by noting the tendancy of people like us to leave their 360's on for extended periods of time. This in turn causes the 360 to be hotter for longer and therefore we have higher failure (RRoD) rates. Makes sense, but is still unacceptable.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Hybreed
    PSN
    Casualfever

I bought my 360 at launch and have never had any problems. I play for extended periods, say at least from 3 hours to a whooping 17 hours. I still somewhat fear the RROD because as a student I can hardly afford another 360. My friends who own a 360 have never experienced any problems with theirs either.

16% failure rate is still a bit much though.
    Dracula: The constant villain of the series. His usual tactics include breaking a number of wine glasses and transforming into his true form.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder what the failure rate was for PS1 and PS2? I had to buy at least 3 PSX's as they tended to fail after several hours of play. I believe Sony estimated people would play for 2 or so hours at a time, so they tested it that way, I guess. PS2's famous "Disk Read Error" fade to grey screen was responsible for 2 PS2 purchases as the warranty expired. But they WOULD fix it for $100 + S&H. Later on, they started to fix them 360-style(free for DRE only, like RRoD only). Anyone else have problems with Sony systems?

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

there is a noticable failure rate for the 360 that there is no denying, but I don't think basing this off of warranties sold is a good way to determine failure rate, I mean there is a problem w/ some 360's but to guage this off warranties sold is not going to give you a factual determination of hard numbers.
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm surprised it's that low. I only have one friend whose hasn't failed, and e plays less than most of my other friends.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting like all information we get about the failure rate of the 360 beyond anecdotal evidence.

We have to be very cautious to read more into the reported result than what it actually captures. It says only something about the failure rate of 360 owners who bought a separate warranty. If this is a positive or negative bias (more or less than the 16% if the customers were randomly chosen) is not clear.

Not only "power users" might tend to buy a separate warranty, but also casual gamers because they heard more than just rumors about failures of the machine. We just don't know. If we knew 1) play time before the failure occured, 2) when the failed systems were manufactured, 3) what kind of failure, 4) if 'serious problems' are included, and some other data, then we could say a bit more about the 16%.

This reliable and refined data data exists, but MS like Sony with the failure problems with the PSX and PS2 will never publish the exact failure rates. (and we still don't know them, only general admittance that the probs existed years after) They have their numbers plus statistics from marketing research institutes before they made the decision to extend the warranty.

My guess is (note: even the most well informed and educated guess is still that, mere speculation) that the failure rate is much higher.

The 16% would be be still in a somewhat acceptable range like the failure rates and serious problems rates of rear projection TVs (Hitachi 24%, Samsung 19%, Sony 12%, according to the most recent Consumer Reports). I don't think that MS would have taken such a finacial loss with the extended warranty at a 16% level despite its concern about loosing reputation and effects of the loss in consumer confidence on sales numbers. My guess is (with various info we have on the subject now) that the number is probably in the 30% to 40% range.

I know one thing: I have my 360 now for 21 months without having a problem. But if this thing breaks down in the next two years, Microsoft won't see a dime from me for the 360 for a very, very long time. It is outrageous that MS didn't listen to warning signs because they wanted to meet the set release date.
    Last edited by lendelin; 02-15-2008 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought the last study said that it was 32 percent failure rate. I personally got a launch 360 and had to send in the damn thing on atleast 5 different occasions.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post

I know one thing: I have my 360 now for 21 months without having a problem. But if this thing breaks down in the next two years, Microsoft won't see a dime from me for the 360 for a very, very long time. It is outrageous that MS didn't listen to warning signs because they wanted to meet the set release date.
    What gets me is how everyone keeps getting the damn thing again and again, I know the games are fun but after it fails for the second time, people should be forming a mob outside Microsoft HQ demanding their money back. As long as everyone keeps getting it replaced, I don't think MS would give a shit because they know the userbase isn't shrinking. As I've said in other threads, I'd like a 360 but the failure rate is dkeeping me away.

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Meh, what a scary post. I just got my 360 last month. I hope I do not come across this. My 360 did freeze last night while playing Test Drive Unlimited online. I hope this isnt a sign.....

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

That's a surprisingly LOW number, based on what I've seen from the models built in the first two years. After opening dozens of them up, I still believe that nearly ALL of these will get RRoD at some point. We've even had two store units fail and they're not used all that often. Fortunately Microsoft is good about getting the "coffin" box out quickly and the refurb back in hand relatively quickly, in most cases.

We have not yet had a customer bring an Elite or a Falcon board 360 to the store with RRoD so for now it seems the initial problems have been addressed.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post
    That's a surprisingly LOW number, based on what I've seen from the models built in the first two years. After opening dozens of them up, I still believe that nearly ALL of these will get RRoD at some point. We've even had two store units fail and they're not used all that often. Fortunately Microsoft is good about getting the "coffin" box out quickly and the refurb back in hand relatively quickly, in most cases.

We have not yet had a customer bring an Elite or a Falcon board 360 to the store with RRoD so for now it seems the initial problems have been addressed.
    With these kind of informations and being careful we get a realistic view about the failure rates. When the PS2 had serious problems, I talked to store clerks at BB, or CC and used gamestores. I knew them for some time so they were very open about it. At this level you get the absolutely best information if you carefully listen.

I know only three guys in Germany who have a 360, two of them experienced the RRoD. I know four 360 owners here in Milwaukee, two of them had the RRoD. I talked to store clerks, and dang, the failure rate is frightening.

I sure hope you're wrong with your prediction that nearly all of the 360s manufactured in the first two years will see the RRoD. I think the failure rate is already more than 30%, in two years we'll know more about its durability, and maybe then your dark estimation will come true.

I'd hate to give mine a funeral. I lucked out with every console I bought, my NES still works like the day I bought it, the cartridges fit tightly.

If it happens to me, buying games for the 360 won't happening in the next two years. One advantage of being videogame nuts like us with way too many games on our shelves is that we ALWAYS have alternatives and enough games to play.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post

The one I got in December failed within a week! It was the new design with updated PS and all. MS returned me a refurbed older model and my PS wouldn't fit! After calling them the rep convinced me that the older model actually had the newer mobo inside. Now I'm waiting on a replacement PS that will actually work.

Anybody else get stuck with the old swicheroo?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    xdaytime

I've gotten the RROD once. I think the newer systems "supposedly" don't have this problem.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

My coworker's 360 bit the dust yesterday, but I think he had a launch 360. I can't remember if he's already had it replaced or not. Scary!

Somebody asked the question as to why you'd replace a 360 if it kept breaking down on you. The answer isn't that tough really - if you've got a bunch of games for it, why would you want to get rid of them (for pennies on the dollar) and re-invest not only in a new console but new games for that console? Especially if you can get your 360 repaired for free?

It's not the games themselves I'd be tied to - it's the money associated with buying those games. Plus the time I've spent playing them, unlocking achievements and progressing through them and such.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I really don't believe that, that seems way to low, I would suspect it's at least 30% if not more like 40%.
    Especially now that it's everyone I know that has had to sent out their 360 at least once including myself which i've had to send my 360 back twice in a row.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

Yeah this number seems low I'd say higher. This is the first console I've ever owned that died and did so within a year to! It never ran particularly well before that point either (loud, unstable etc) now its still loud and unstable plus the disc drive is screwy. This thing is definetly a POS. good games though and nice online service. haha

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Does anyone know whether the three year warranty resets on replacement Xbox 360s? Or is it limited to three years from the date of purchase of the original Xbox 360?
    If I failed to leave feedback for you on a deal, please contact me.
    My Digital Press Feedback