Thread: Good homebrew apps for DS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Good homebrew apps for DS?

I've had an R4 card for a while but really haven't used it for much else than playing DS games and running ScummVM few times. Today I found out about a cool little app called Treasures Of Gaia which is basically Google Earth for your DS:

http://stravingo.over-blog.fr/article-11878935.html

It's not perfect but I was really amazed with the level of quality it had for a homebrew app. Was wondering if there are any other good non-emulator homebrew apps that I need to know about. I hear a lot about the ones for PSP but hardly nothing for the DS.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

ClIRC is an almost perfect IRC client for the DS. Many have been created, but this one beats them all hands down. Many options for customizing, plus you can input your own Wi-Fi settings here instead of going through WFC to do it (like most apps do). Highly recommended.

DSAIM is also a good communications program that runs AIM on your DS. Works pretty well, and I don't have any problems with it.

DSHobro is a neat little web browser that consists of two different programs - the client and the server. The server is launched on your PC and runs in the background. The client is the DS program. Basically, what happens is that when you request a website on the client, the server brings it up, compresses and optimizes it for the DS, and then sends the website over Wi-Fi to the DS. It shows pictures, allows you to type in text boxes, etc. Even though web browsers on the DS still aren't to the point where they would take over browsing from a PC, this is about the closest you'll get at the moment.

DSReader is a text viewer made specifically for reading large text files (like books). Although if it's not that essential to you, you could always use the text viewer in Moonshell.

Speaking of which, Moonshell is a full featured multimedia player. It supports DPG video files, MP3, OGG, MOD, SPC, MDX, GBS, HES, NSF, XM, MIDI, low bit rate AAC audio files, and non-progressive JPEG, BMP, GIF, PNG images. It's so powerful, that some homebrew carts use it partly or in full as their OS.

Colors is a nice little painting app.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Chasing the chuckwagon. schnuth's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a big fan of WordUp. It's a fun and addictive word puzzle game. It should be a real commercial release in my opinion. Check it out.

Aaron

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks a lot for the tips. Tried out that DSAIM and it was pretty easy to set up and use, as well as DSReader. So I think I'll keep those on my card permanently. Found another cool app called NitroTracker which is a music sequencer...haven't figured out how to use yet but it has a lot of detail for a homebrew app.

CliRC seems interesting but I never was really able to grasp IRC in the first place, so I didn't get too deep into that one. DSHobro looks real cool too but the problem is I'm on a Mac and I'd have to boot into XP to get the server part running.

Is there a better media player for DS than Moonshell? It's good for playing music and viewing pics but converting vids to DPG on the Mac is kind of a pain. Are there any players that support divx yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Didn't we do this exact same thread last month?
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111108
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Didn't we do this exact same thread last month?
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111108
    No, we didn't. I'm looking for homebrew *APPS* here. That other thread was dedicated to homebrew games.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

is there anyway to run text based rpgs on the ds? like MUDs only not online...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You mean like text adventures? Someone else also mentioned the DS interpreter for those somewhere around here. But that's a game, not an app.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)