Results 3,221 to 3,240 of 3293

Thread: The Official Angry Video Game Nerd Discussion Thread

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Avgn update,mike will be leaving and now nobody is left from the old crew.Fine that rental reviews are ending i never cared for it anyways id rather watch red letter media over it.
    Out of the old crew, being James and Mike, Mike just left so there's just James left. I guess that's the whole crew gone, all one of them. Seriously, who else was there in any regular capacity?

I forgot that the series was called Rental Reviews but that's what I was referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Also, the penis thing was a brief one-time likely drunk moment 3 years ago which he basically erased as well he could.
    "I'm Gonna Do What's Called a ProJared Move."

For anyone unfamiliar with ProJared feel free to look him up, I'm pretty sure most people are well aware of what this youtube reviewer did a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    James is the only stand-up person among the people he associates with in his videos.
    James comes across that way, but he's pretty close in mindset to the people he associates with. Just look at any of his early videos, basically full of swearing, fake diarrhea repeatedly on various games and guest characters, Shit Pickle, Wizard of Oz 3: Dorothy Goes to Hell, Mecha Christ, Munky Cheez, etc. It's really the same style of humour. And I still remember him shilling the new Action 52 game from a few years ago which was another controversy.

ok I just read an apology which appears to be written by him... and honestly it just really tells you where his head is at. he basically said "if anyone is offended by this, I apologize." that's like pooping in the middle of the street, getting up, then afterwards saying, "if anyone was grossed out by that, I'm sorry."

Well what's really telling is that HE isn't disturbed by what he drew/wrote.
    What should he say? That he really was offensive to others and definitely took things too far, and is open to litigation if anyone really feels like they suffered over it? Nobody would say anything different as they would be opening themselves up to possible legal issues.

Really most teenagers and young adults say and do offensive things, usually trying to be funny or edgy. I don't exactly love Mike or James like serious fanboys but I don't hate them either, I'm more neutral to them as people. I don't personally find that old content of his funny, it's mostly offensive and not well made, but not all humour is found to be funny by everyone. I'm more bothered by the constant need for everything to be overly politically correct, which wouldn't allow George Carlin's comedy to be performed today. If anything I would say he wasn't afraid to be creative, though the end result was mostly mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    I never saw the point of rental reviews when most of the time james was being talked over,by his cronies That being screenwave media.Ditto twitch before mike left he was all ready doing live streams full time there.
    I really don't know who those other people are on that show, they seem to have other separate content unrelated to James but I've never really looked into it. I do recognize one of them being from the Game Chasers show which I also didn't like much.

With Rental Reviews it's like they tried to combine Best of the Worst with the re:View show into one thing, but those are two differently structured shows that don't mesh well together. One just watches and makes fun of movies, the other covers a movie in depth describing why it's worth watching and how it was made behind the scenes. Rental Reviews tried to do both things at once but wasn't well structured or edited down so they mostly try to talk more about a film but don't actually talk enough in depth about it fact wise and just talk about when they first saw it and then mention weird or memorable scenes they remember in a rambling sort of way without further explanation about why those scenes matter or why they're important to the film. At least that's how the few videos I've watched came across, I think I did watch one or two of them all the way through to see what they were like, and tried to watch a few others part way before giving up.

I also find it funny how James is saying Rental Reviews is being discontinued because of Covid in that it's difficult for everyone to get together for filming. It's not being postponed or put on hiatus until Covid is solved and things are resumed back to normal, it's just outright discontinued. I'm sure there's more to it than just Covid, I mostly doubt it became popular enough to continue unlike how the AVGN character did. Just looking at Red Letter Media, their most recent Best of the Worst was posted 3 days ago and has 634K views; and Rental Reviews oldest video on Commando from 2 years ago has 627K views with their newer videos usually having far fewer views. On average the Rental Reviews videos mostly seem to just get about 1/4 the views as Red Letter Media for the same time period.

My point was simply that Mike did not "leave" AVGN over any of those circumstances.
    We really don't know what happened behind the scenes, there's still a good chance he could have been asked to leave and publicly it was decided to keep everything on good terms.
    Last edited by Gameguy; 12-24-2020 at 04:48 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

All I'm gonna say is that I've never felt compelled to draw violent and racist cartoons and it seems like people are defending him simply because he has some creative talent in the videos he does with James. if this guy flipped burgers at McDonalds and had no claim to fame outside his dumbass comic, I think people would say he is a garbage human being. And again, the stuff he said about James was really disgusting. I dont think many people know about what he said nor am I going to repeat it but again it's part and parcel of what you get with this guy.

I've heard about some pretty fucked up stuff with the Screen Wave guys as well and I just have that in the back of my mind any time I watch their stuff.

Truth be told we all have some skeletons but I feel it's how we address those skeletons and if we have made amends that counts. I dont see that with any of those guys

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

All I'm gonna say is that I've never felt compelled to draw violent and racist cartoons and it seems like people are defending him simply because he has some creative talent in the videos he does with James.
    I've only seen one of his cartoons after searching to know what people were talking about, it was pretty offensive but it did seem to be intended as satire. Like someone making fun of what an intended racist cartoon would be like, showing how stupid the humour would be. It didn't comment on any stereotypes of various races, it was his character attacking other races as a checklist of races to be racist towards. Like for a racist cartoon to be funny, just being racist is enough to be considered a joke, as that's what racists find funny. It really wasn't well made or thought out, or funny, but that's what it seemed the intention was.

What creative talent did he contribute with James? Is it some of the writing? He always seemed like he was just invited to be on the show with James.

I've heard about some pretty fucked up stuff with the Screen Wave guys as well and I just have that in the back of my mind any time I watch their stuff.
    I know nothing about any of this, I didn't even know they were a part of a named group rather than just being random individual guys occasionally making videos. I never looked into them to do any research, I just wasn't too impressed with any of their content to seek them out.

I think in one of the Rental Reviews the fat one, I forget his name, mentioned how he played Steven Segal in a parody video he made years ago, and showed a brief clip of it. I actually remember seeing it on youtube, but never would have thought he made it. It's just one of those random amature videos that gets posted on youtube, it didn't feel like it was made by a professional or a recurring show.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

LoL satire. that reminds me of Alex Jones's lawyer saying he is just playing a character. so that way he cant get in trouble for calling for violence against Democrats

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

for the record I met both Mike and James in person. they seemed like great guys. I didnt find out about the comics til after the fact and the cock photo thing happened years after the fact. whatever he has going on in his head, I dont now what it is. the only thing i have in common with him is that we both like old games and old shitty movies. theres plenty of other entertainers out there. I prefer Game Sack. and My Life in Gaming. if I find out those guys fucked kids or something then I guess Im done with them too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

the only thing i have in common with him is that we both like old games and old shitty movies.
    That's basically how it is with most people, just sharing a few hobbies doesn't mean you'll agree on much else with them. You might be expecting too much from other people.

Like I said, I'm not much of a fan of Mike or his work, but I don't actively hate him either. Unless something comes up like him being involved with the KKK or sending nude photos purposely to underage fans I'm not going to start hating him. I don't really follow his content specifically so it won't make much of a difference anyway.

Really with James and his content, as well as his friends, it all still comes across as amateurish. James has been making videos for about 15 years online, basically he was one of if not the actual first person to start reviewing games like this. Red Letter Media started years later and now seems much more professional, even though they still seem independent and have a general immature attitude in tone. There are plenty of other content makers now who are much more professional, including Lazy Game Reviews, Pushing Up Roses, and Ross's Game Dungeon. The amateurish quality of the AVGN still has it's appeal in a nostalgic sort of way as it reminds me of a time when people made videos for fun without expecting a career out of them, but I'm still surprised that the overall quality of his work hasn't drastically improved after all that time.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Whats funny is he pretty much did the equivalent of the 2 things you mentioned. Posting your private parts on Twitter is the equivalent to walking into McDonald's, standing up on the counter, and pulling your pants down. And again it wasnt just the comics, he made some egregious comments about James as well.

And yeah no, I dont just hang out or talk to people just because we share a common hobby.

oh well agree to disagree. There are way better content creators. I dont need to watch someone who is angry and who shits all over every game they mention.

Red Letter Media
    Chris Stuckmann
    Pushing up Roses
    Game Sack
    My Life in Gaming
    Spawn Wave
    Miss Click
    Retro Tech
    Review Tech USA

that covers my gaming/movie/TV commentary channels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

And yeah no, I dont just hang out or talk to people just because we share a common hobby.
    What's the purpose of this forum then?

Also, for the youtube channels you watch, are they all personal friends of yours in real life? If it's not just because of shared hobbies or interests, what's the reason you watch the content they produce?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Out of the old crew, being James and Mike, Mike just left so there's just James left. I guess that's the whole crew gone, all one of them. Seriously, who else was there in any regular capacity?
    Old crew beside,mike i meant bootsy who did allot of board james and kyle justin he originally singed the theme song for avgn.Both of them left years ago on not good terms from what i've heard.Also the subject of james network channel screenwave media there the ones coming up with most of the avgn episodes now and it shows.It's just not entertaining anymore.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 12-26-2020 at 04:38 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

What's the purpose of this forum then?

Also, for the youtube channels you watch, are they all personal friends of yours in real life? If it's not just because of shared hobbies or interests, what's the reason you watch the content they produce?
    I tend to watch youtube videos, TV shows, movies, news programs, whatever if the person or character in front of my eyeballs is someone I like. there is a reason I do not watch Duck Dynasty, Honey Boo Boo, Fox News

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

This thread is for AVGN content discussion, and won't have further unproven Mike M chatter here. It's libelous.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

This thread is for AVGN content discussion, and won't have further unproven Mike M chatter here. It's libelous.
    ... Was anyone "chattering" about Mike? I kinda thought this thread had gone dormant and the only new post I see is... you talking about a weeks-dead discussion. Or was there more but it got deleted?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    ... Was anyone "chattering" about Mike? I kinda thought this thread had gone dormant and the only new post I see is... you talking about a weeks-dead discussion. Or was there more but it got deleted?
    There was more but it got deleted, I won't mention specifics as to what was posted.

I did notice a new video posted yesterday on Cinemassacre's youtube channel but looking now it seems to be gone. It was Talking About Tapes which seems to be a new series exactly copying Rental Reviews, except James wasn't there. It was just the two least likable of his new crew talking about Wishmaster 2 for over an hour. Just searching now, it does seem to be up on a different channel so I'm not sure why it was posted on the Cinemassacre channel, I'm sure it was on that channel yesterday.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

There was more but it got deleted, I won't mention specifics as to what was posted.

I did notice a new video posted yesterday on Cinemassacre's youtube channel but looking now it seems to be gone. It was Talking About Tapes which seems to be a new series exactly copying Rental Reviews, except James wasn't there. It was just the two least likable of his new crew talking about Wishmaster 2 for over an hour. Just searching now, it does seem to be up on a different channel so I'm not sure why it was posted on the Cinemassacre channel, I'm sure it was on that channel yesterday.
    I just liked it more when there were 5 people all talking about the same obscure 30 year old movie, regardless of who the individuals were.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

There has not been a Rental Review in more than 7 months, which is around when the 2nd COVID wave began. It's just really difficult to produce on screen content right now, even with these guys living within the same vicinity.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I just liked it more when there were 5 people all talking about the same obscure 30 year old movie, regardless of who the individuals were.
    I think the best reply I can give is something you already said.

I tend to watch youtube videos, TV shows, movies, news programs, whatever if the person or character in front of my eyeballs is someone I like. there is a reason I do not watch Duck Dynasty, Honey Boo Boo, Fox News
    I mostly need to somewhat like the people in a video for me to watch that content. An exception would be some type of factual/informational/instructional type of video where the narrator presents information but isn't actually a central focus. With these movie review shows they're mostly unscripted casual fanboy type discussions more focused on their opinions rather than facts about the film or the film's production. I would really have to like the people themselves to like that type of content, which I do with Red Letter Media.

There has not been a Rental Review in more than 7 months, which is around when the 2nd COVID wave began. It's just really difficult to produce on screen content right now, even with these guys living within the same vicinity.
    They announced there would be no more Rental Reviews and discontinued the show at episode 100, it wasn't just postponed or put on hiatus until after the pandemic ends.

It's funny how it's difficult to prepare on screen content all together because of the pandemic, yet the guys still filming the Talking About Tapes without James are still filming everything in James' basement.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I think the best reply I can give is something you already said.

I mostly need to somewhat like the people in a video for me to watch that content. An exception would be some type of factual/informational/instructional type of video where the narrator presents information but isn't actually a central focus. With these movie review shows they're mostly unscripted casual fanboy type discussions more focused on their opinions rather than facts about the film or the film's production. I would really have to like the people themselves to like that type of content, which I do with Red Letter Media.

They announced there would be no more Rental Reviews and discontinued the show at episode 100, it wasn't just postponed or put on hiatus until after the pandemic ends.

It's funny how it's difficult to prepare on screen content all together because of the pandemic, yet the guys still filming the Talking About Tapes without James are still filming everything in James' basement.
    For the record, I think 4/5 of the "entertainers" in said videos are pretty stand up guys. That's only 1 person there I am not a fan of and believe me, I don't go out of my way to watch videos if it's just them or him and 1 other person.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Wow, ha ha, I had no idea there was another show. I think they setup another set somewhere. Plus FWIW, James' rental store were just sets he too setup at some studio space I guess he rents. Ppl say the basement is fake too now, but I don't think the couch area is.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I tried watching Talking About Tapes, it's just not the same without the other guys. I dont know all their names.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Wow, ha ha, I had no idea there was another show. I think they setup another set somewhere. Plus FWIW, James' rental store were just sets he too setup at some studio space I guess he rents. Ppl say the basement is fake too now, but I don't think the couch area is.
    I just assumed it was all still in James' basement as he gave lots of tours of it over the years and it looks pretty much the same, I didn't think he duplicated the sets somewhere else though that's certainly possible.

People were saying the games area is fake since it got changed after he moved, I'm not completely sure as it could be either way. It really depends on how large his home is, he does have a family that would need plenty of space of their own.

For the record, I think 4/5 of the "entertainers" in said videos are pretty stand up guys. That's only 1 person there I am not a fan of and believe me, I don't go out of my way to watch videos if it's just them or him and 1 other person.
    I don't hate them or think they're bad people, as best as I can tell at least. I just find them mostly annoying or boring for some reason. I still remember one or two of them from the Game Chasers thing from years ago and didn't like that. Mostly bragging about the "great" finds they had, to the people that just sold them the games. Like just buying a game for $5 and then telling the seller that it's worth $20, something like that. Or mostly bragging to the audience at the end of the episode about the great deals they found like finding a game for $12 that's worth $15, or finding one for $25 that's worth $30-$35.

They just seemed like the type to jump on whatever is popular, but do it less well or interesting compared to who else was already doing it. I don't really care if people are just doing it for fun, but these people are making videos as a full time job so it feels different.

I tried watching Talking About Tapes, it's just not the same without the other guys. I dont know all their names.
    It's just not the same without those unique memorable individuals like What's-His-Face and So-And-So.

I just found it funny how you're missing these individuals yet don't know their names. I don't know their names either but I never really got attached to them. It's actually a problem they caused by not clearly introducing themselves or clearly mentioning their names during the shows. I find they just talk over each other mostly. It's not a problem that Red Letter Media has, you can see the difference in professional ability between their work.