Page 43 of 165 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393143 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Angry Video Game Nerd Discussion Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't stand the guy, f this every other word out of his mouth does not make for a good reviewer, or that entertaining for that matter. Isn't there anybody out there that has any class? I'm finding some good reviewers on youtube slow but sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by Nescollector View Post
    I can't stand the guy, f this every other word out of his mouth does not make for a good reviewer, or that entertaining for that matter. Isn't there anybody out there that has any class? I'm finding some good reviewers on youtube slow but sure.
    The gratuitous swearing is a part of the character. Its hard in this modern world to get the point of complete anger across without swearing like a sailor. People just dont catch it as interesting or realistic if there is little cussing involved.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sonicwolf.....ok good point....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    They did the same thing with general grevious. He was hyped up and killed in no time.
    Yeah, but with the General, he was outclassed. Maul lost by being arrogant and toying around with a young Obi rather than finishing him off. I personally never liked Grievous. Dooku was alright, but Maul was outstanding. Imagine if there was no Maul in Phantom Menace.

I believe the Nerd also said the final fight with Maul and the two Jedi was "pretty good" or something like that. I know it's opinion and I'm sorry if I seem like I'm ripping him, but 99 people out of 100 rank that fight as absolutely outstanding, in the top two duels in the entire series (Obi vs. Anakin being the other amazing one).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    Imagine if there was no Maul in Phantom Menace.
    I'd rather imagine if there was no Jar Jar or Anakin. But seriously, would the movie be all that different without Darth Maul? Keep in mind I've only seen the movie once, but he didn't seem all that central to the plot, just a marketing device.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Yeah, I never liked Maul, probably at least partially BECAUSE of the over-marketing he recieved and the mini cult of personality he ended up with because of it. That said however, I think Star Wars really fucked itself over in the villians department. They had one really good villian in Vader back in 77, then we get what? Some old guys, some guy with face paint, and then three movies hammering home that now Vader sucks too because his personal history makes it impossible to ever think of him as threatening anymore. Blarg. The bounty hunters are better villians now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    Yeah, I never liked Maul, probably at least partially BECAUSE of the over-marketing he recieved and the mini cult of personality he ended up with because of it. That said however, I think Star Wars really fucked itself over in the villians department. They had one really good villian in Vader back in 77, then we get what? Some old guys, some guy with face paint, and then three movies hammering home that now Vader sucks too because his personal history makes it impossible to ever think of him as threatening anymore. Blarg. The bounty hunters are better villians now.
    Well said!

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

In episode 3 Anakin kills off a bunch of kids because they would later become Jedi(s), in episode 6 you see he's dead and all happy with Yoda and Obi-Wan. So they're just ok with him now that he's good again? He killed a bunch of kids, how are they just all right with all that? Nevermind him destroying a planet too, though that was in the original trilogy. They could be a little less happy at the end.

Plus with all the editing of the movies over the years most of it's appeal is lost(for me at least). Some changes for movies are accepted pretty easily(like directors cuts, or cuts with added footage), but most people don't like the changes with these films.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    In episode 3 Anakin kills off a bunch of kids because they would later become Jedi(s), in episode 6 you see he's dead and all happy with Yoda and Obi-Wan. So they're just ok with him now that he's good again? He killed a bunch of kids, how are they just all right with all that? Nevermind him destroying a planet too, though that was in the original trilogy. They could be a little less happy at the end.

Plus with all the editing of the movies over the years most of it's appeal is lost(for me at least). Some changes for movies are accepted pretty easily(like directors cuts, or cuts with added footage), but most people don't like the changes with these films.
    I agree. In the original trilogy, I looked at Vader as someone who wasn't truely bad, and someone who I could forgive. Now, after seeing how he killed kids (Killing Sandpeople doesn't bother me much, they just killed his mom) who looked up to him, he's no longer someone I forgive. Sidious wouldn't even kill kids.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ah, Internet Star Wars debate.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    Sidious wouldn't even kill kids.
    Didn't Sidious tell him to do it?
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Pretty good, can't wait for the second part. As a Jaguar owner, I can say the worst thing about the system is the lack of good, original games. I need to get Zool 2, as Tempest 2000 and Iron Soldier, while decent, aren't worth hooking the system up.

Oh, and Zool 2 on Jaguar looks better than the original on SNES, but its not 64-bit.
    Last edited by Tupin; 03-16-2009 at 12:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What's that at 3:42? Eternal Champions? Time Killers?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Does anybody else have a hard time getting GT movies to reliably load?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    Does anybody else have a hard time getting GT movies to reliably load?
    That's why I use their handy download links.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    I Am Your Face
    PSN
    Solertia

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Ah, Internet Star Wars debate.
    For some reason this made me laugh hysterically XD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Pretty good, can't wait for the second part.
    I can't wait for the second part either. But I didn't think this first chapter was very good at all.

For one thing, AVGN really betrays his nature as a Nintendo Power educated fanboy. That just comes with the age his childhood resides in, and he may be exaggerating it for comedic effect as he always does. However, it's just all too common for the NES generation to be as dismissive of what came before as he is in this video.

The next thing that really got me was the comparison of Checkered Flag's visuals to F-Zeros (SNES) and the Nerd's ruling that the SNES game has superior graphics. Seriously, WTF??? Only someone who was wearing their rose colored glasses too tightly would find F-Zero's visuals even remotely passable. He has a point with Cybermorph versus Starfox, but the F-Zero statement just reeks brainless Nintendo favoritism.

All in all, I found this chapter extraneous. There weren't any good jokes. There was just the standard Nintendo fan "Look at how much Atari sucks! Har, har!" I suppose that kind of start could prove to be the set up for a punch line of "these games kick ass!" But I really doubt that's coming. I've played Jaguar games, and beyond a few outstanding titles, most everything else kinda reeks. It will be entertaining to see those games ripped apart Nerd style. I just wish this needless preamble hadn't been there.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    What's that at 3:42? Eternal Champions? Time Killers?
    Yes indeed, Eternal Champions. RAX vs. Shadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    The next thing that really got me was the comparison of Checkered Flag's visuals to F-Zeros (SNES) and the Nerd's ruling that the SNES game has superior graphics. Seriously, WTF??? Only someone who was wearing their rose colored glasses too tightly would find F-Zero's visuals even remotely passable. He has a point with Cybermorph versus Starfox, but the F-Zero statement just reeks brainless Nintendo favoritism.
    That comparison struck me as a little weird at first, but ultimately he seemed to be comparing visual appeal here, not graphical muscle. Throughout part 1, the point is made that the Jaguar was a difficult beast to develop for and that effort was lacking in the vast majority of releases, which I think is what he's getting at with the F-Zero/Checkered Flag contrast. I would agree that F-Zero is a more aesthetically pleasing game to watch than Checkered Flag in spite of it being sprites on a mode 7 track, but this is admittedly an odd pair of games to compare. Genesis Virtua Racing would have made a lot more sense.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The F-Zero/Checkered Flag comparison was more like, "Sure, the Jaguar game LOOKS better, but which one is more fun to play? F-Zero."